Ryanair Refund due to Serious Injury

Options
In Feb 2017 I booked return Ryanair flights from Stansted to Barcelona and I was due to fly out on the 5th May 2017. However, in April I injured my knee and I required surgery to repair my torn meniscus (cartilage). I had the surgery on Sat 22nd April and the consultant signed me off work for ~6 weeks. He also wrote a letter stating that I should not fly for 2-4 weeks post op which meant that I would not be able to fly to Barcelona.
I contacted Ryanair via their website to claim a refund. From the drop down list I selected 'Death or serious illness of a customer booked to travel' as the reason for refund request and I attached the letter that my consultant wrote. However, Ryanair replied saying: 'We regret to advise that, our Terms and Conditions of Carriage (which you agreed at the time of booking) confirm that all Ryanair tickets are non-refundable...we regret that Ryanair cannot accede to your request for a refund in this case...As per article 10, we are a non-refundable airline, and all refunds are discretionary'.

I don't understand why they have the option to claim for a refund under circumstances of serious injuries if they keep stating they are a non-refundable airline?! Surely I had an extremely valid reason for a refund. They told me to contact my travel insurance company but as I don't have annual cover I did not have any insurance for this holiday at the time of my injury.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is there a way that I could still get a refund?

Hope to hear from people soon :)

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Their opinion may be that your injury was not serious enough.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess its all down to what they see as a serious illness
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • sverma
    sverma Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Well it was serious enough to prevent me from flying, surely that's the critical point. I was wearing a leg brace, on crutches and could hardly bend my leg, so it physically wasn't possible for me to fly.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sverma wrote: »
    Well it was serious enough to prevent me from flying, surely that's the critical point. I was wearing a leg brace, on crutches and could hardly bend my leg, so it physically wasn't possible for me to fly.

...then claim on your insurance...
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should always take out travel insurance when you make the booking, not just before you are due to travel.

It doesn't cost any more to purchase it months in advance but it does mean that you are covered for circumstances that you now find you are in.

I know this doesn't help you now but it may encourage others to purchase it around the same time as booking the flight / holiday.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ryanair wrote:
    In the event of death or serious illness making it impossible for a customer to travel, the reservations of the affected customer and anyone travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded.
    If it is appropriate we can also offer to change flight dates and we will waive any restriction or fee once suitable documentary evidence is sent to us before of the date of travel.

I have a feeling they have thier own definaition of what is serious & the key word in the extract taken from their website is may
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...then claim on your insurance...

OP cant as there was no insurance policy in place at the time of booking
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • sverma
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    You should always take out travel insurance when you make the booking, not just before you are due to travel.

It doesn't cost any more to purchase it months in advance but it does mean that you are covered for circumstances that you now find you are in.

I know this doesn't help you now but it may encourage others to purchase it around the same time as booking the flight / holiday.

Lesson learnt, I now know that is what I should do from now on :)
    I have booked a trip for the end of June and I have already booked travel insurance for that holiday.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    OP cant as there was no insurance policy in place at the time of booking

Tough then, isn't it.
  • sverma
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I have a feeling they have thier own definaition of what is serious & the key word in the extract taken from their website is may

Yes I agree, 'may' and 'discretion' are their get out clauses. However, I still think it is a complete cop out as I really was unable to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure