Experian through credit club

Options

Comments

• MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    stuart30 wrote: »
    Will Experian be writing to those effected and guaranteeing that.

Hi Stuart30

I don't believe that Experian will be contacting Credit Club members itself. But it has clarified that your details were at no point stored in its Credit Expert database, rather the letter your received was auto-generated when you details were being verified by its service as part of Credit Club.

I hope this helps.
  • DenBb
    DenBb Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I too have received a letter from Experian telling me that I will have to pay £14.99 after my :(:(free months trial!
    I am now worried that they will start taking the money from my account as they have my bank details from a time before, when I did actually sign up for a free months trial and cancelled after that free trial!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They won't, because you cancelled.
  • starnova
    starnova Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I too have just received a letter this morning from Experian welcoming me to my new CreditExpert membership which I know I did not sign up to. I have only seen my credit report through the MoneySavingExpert Credit Club.
    I am concerned that the letter says "your 30 day trial has now started. At the end of your trial you will be charged a monthly fee of £14.99" :mad:
    I joined the Moneysavingexpert credit club several months ago and checked my credit report last week after an email reminding me to, so this may have triggered this letter, but it is strange as I have checked it several times before and never received a letter.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is anyone actually reading this thread?
  • fleeced27
    fleeced27 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I received one of these letters this morning and immediately looked on here to see if it was a scam so in reply to zx81 yes people (me) are reading this thread.

Irrespective of if the letter was sent in error or is a scam I know I am safe from being billed because I have not given any bank details to them so they can not charge me.
  • muttley1
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks for your posts. I'm really sorry to say unfortunately Experian has had a technical glitch and sent some Credit Club members a letter about its Credit Expert service.

I'd like to reassure you that MSE's Credit Club is entirely fee, and you will not be charged for using it.

We're looking into how this issue occured with Experian and will be also asking to ensure it takes steps to prevent this from happening in the future.

If you've received a letter, you can simply ignore it. I'll update this thread a little later today with some more info.

I hope this helps to reassure you.
    Dan - thanks for that. I tried to 'phone Experian but they were quoting pretty excessive waiting times so, to prevent myself keeling over with boredom, I was about to e mail them concerned it may be some sort of phishing exercise, when I saw your information. Thanks Again.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I have also received the letter today. In addition I received a second letter with my PIN for a £2 Experian report which I ordered a week ago. It appears now that this was complete coincidence.

I spoke to Experian and they said it was probably an admin error and requested that I scan and email the letter to them. I will update this thread if I receive a reply.

I did get my free 30 days membership in Nov 2014 but the debit card I gave them has long since expired. Therefore I had no fear of being debited with £14.99
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks for your posts. I'm really sorry to say unfortunately Experian has had a technical glitch and sent some Credit Club members a letter about its Credit Expert service.

I hope this helps to reassure you.

Hi Dan,

I am reassured that it is not just me but I cannot believe that Experian can make such a glaring error.

They not only hold phenomenal amounts of sensitive data on millions of us but also are accredited by the UK Government Verify service as an identity verification partner.

I remain seriously concerned that Experian have such sloppy control mechanisms.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Hi Dan,

I am reassured that it is not just me but I cannot believe that Experian can make such a glaring error.

Hi Rg2015

I completely understand your frustration around this. From an MSE perspective we'll of course be following up with Experian around this to ensure that its processes are reviewed to prevent this type of thing happening in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure