0% Spending Credit Card Abroad...is there such a thing??

Options
Hi
We're going abroad for a few weeks and for peace of mind I would like to take a credit card as a back up....however which is best?? Being Self Employed paying it back straight away on my return would be a struggle so I would like a few months 0%. But also fees are confusing too.....can anyone help please??

Thankyou Mandy

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Halifax Clarity card is often touted as a good card for use abroad, as they don't charge transaction fees, plus there's no fee to withdraw cash, which most cards do charge for. It's not 0% though. You'd need to weigh up the costs - most of the usual 0% cards will charge fees for use abroad, so the fees may negate the savings on interest. Also, most 0% cards are only offered to those with a solid credit history.

One thing concerns me though. You say you want the card as a "backup", then go on to say you'll struggle to repay it straight away ? This to me sounds like you're planning on spending money you don't really have, or can't afford ? It's really not a good idea to look on credit cards as "free cash". I'm not meaning to be judgemental, rather I'm just trying to avoid you getting into a cycle of debt.
  • ARH_2
    ARH_2 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nationwide Select credit card is a real winner for me. It gives you 0.5% cashback in sterling. Purchases (not cash withdrawals) are fee-free abroad.

It's therefore my go-to card when abroad, and when the retailer won't take Amex at home.

They also do a 12 months 0% on purchases or balance transfers.

You need to be a nationwide current account customer though.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Just applied for the Halifax Clarity Card, and final checks pending, been successful. I plan to use this to withdraw cash when on holiday, and maybe spend on it while there. If I repay it the same day or day after, does anyone know am i liable to incur charges?

Took this from their website for the card

"There's no fee for cash withdrawals, yet you'll be charged interest at 18.9% representative APR even if you pay it off in full. So it works out at about £1.50/month for each £100 withdrawn (if you get this APR)."
  • M4ndy17
    Options
    Thankyou no not judgemental at all....it's just in case our hard saved cash is lost/stolen etc or if we encounter any unexpected expenses. I have a good credit score....no outstanding debt...only mortgage & yes your right better to pay a little interest if I can't manage to clear in one month after not earning for a few weeks, than incur transaction charges etc. I just hate paying back more than I should!
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nicky321 wrote: »
    If I repay it the same day or day after, does anyone know am i liable to incur charges?

If you have access to a secure internet connection whilst you're abroad, if you pay off the balance on the same day as the transaction hits your account then you'll not pay any interest.

That said, even if you have to wait until you get home to settle the account, the amount of interest for a week or so will be the equivalent of a couple of pints of beer, or thereabouts - it's not really worth worrying about.
  • Nicky321
    Options
    If you have access to a secure internet connection whilst you're abroad, if you pay off the balance on the same day as the transaction hits your account then you'll not pay any interest.

That said, even if you have to wait until you get home to settle the account, the amount of interest for a week or so will be the equivalent of a couple of pints of beer, or thereabouts - it's not really worth worrying about.

Thankyou Ebe Scrooge

that's what i was thinking, but wanted to check first.
  • Nicky321
    Options
    M4ndy17 sorry for jumping onto you thread, it was done mistake
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    M4ndy17 wrote: »
    Hi
    We're going abroad for a few weeks and for peace of mind I would like to take a credit card as a back up....however which is best?? Being Self Employed paying it back straight away on my return would be a struggle so I would like a few months 0%. But also fees are confusing too.....can anyone help please??

Thankyou Mandy

Ebe Scrooge has given you good advice with this - make sure it's paid in full and you will minimise the additional costs.

Nicky321 wrote: »
    Just applied for the Halifax Clarity Card, and final checks pending, been successful. I plan to use this to withdraw cash when on holiday, and maybe spend on it while there. If I repay it the same day or day after, does anyone know am i liable to incur charges?

Took this from their website for the card

"There's no fee for cash withdrawals, yet you'll be charged interest at 18.9% representative APR even if you pay it off in full. So it works out at about £1.50/month for each £100 withdrawn (if you get this APR)."

Make sure it's hits your statement before you pay, otherwise it won't be taken off the balance intended if there is any other balance on the card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 11:18AM
    Options

To possibly clarify slightly, it's worth checking the terms and conditions about this.

Although payment usually goes towards highest interest items first, it may also say that payment goes towards items that have appeared on a statement before items that have not yet appeared.

Thus to best minimise interest it may be necessary to pay the last statement balance earlier than usual, plus the cash advance amount.

I don't know for sure about this myself, but the last time I suggested it someone else confirmed it.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as I'm aware you can use ANY 0% purchases card abroad.

You will incur a non sterling transaction fee of approx 2.75% But this might work out cheaper than standard credit card interest if it is going to take a few months to pay off the balance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure