Does an illegal plate circumvent average speed cameras?

Options

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But if the plate is misrepresented the computer tries to format it into a layout it understands so it may not read it the same twice.

They are digits and letters, the system doesn't know if it is a registration number or says UP Y0URS. And remember it already has to take account of all the various registration formats we've had over the years that still appear on vehicles, either on old vehicles or as personalised plates.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    They are digits and letters, the system doesn't know if it is a registration number or says UP Y0URS. And remember it already has to take account of all the various registration formats we've had over the years that still appear on vehicles, either on old vehicles or as personalised plates.

Well given it's reading registration numbers that's exactly what's it's looking for. Given you appear to be some sort of expert on such systems do tell us your qualifications.
  • Johno100
    Options
    Well given it's reading registration numbers that's exactly what's it's looking for. Given you appear to be some sort of expert on such systems do tell us your qualifications.

No not an expert, but I'm not a total Luddite either.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No not an expert, but I'm not a total Luddite either.

So you know the cameras can read a fence and try to convert the uprights into a registration number?
  • Johno100
    Options
    So you know the cameras can read a fence and try to convert the uprights into a registration number?

confused-guy-scratches-head500x310.jpg
  • Blueblood
    Blueblood Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Come to Rochdale, you can drive @ whatever speed you want, have whatever plates you want, park on a pelican crossing, use your phone whilst driving in fact do anything you want in a car...........
    YOU THINK I AM JOKING
    Well I am not !
    Wake up to the world of no police !!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    But yes if the plate is upside down, obscurred with dirt or hidden by a bike rack then it won't register on the camera and god forbid a speeder might get away with his/her crime.

A friend boasted to me that he deliberately obscured his number plate with a bike rack. It was a £30 fine (iirc) and no points if he was stopped (he never was) as opposed to a much heavier penalty for speeding.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Come to Rochdale, you can drive @ whatever speed you want, have whatever plates you want, park on a pelican crossing, use your phone whilst driving in fact do anything you want in a car...........
    YOU THINK I AM JOKING
    Well I am not !
    Wake up to the world of no police !!

And herein lies my point. If illegal plates don't allow drivers to dodge fines and, if anything, are more memorable in the event of an accident - why are they illegal?

I see them everywhere, every single day, so the police surely must. They could probably just have the DVLA log them and write to the owner with a warning. But they don't care and they don't bother, so why not just make them legal?

Same as speed limits. A village near me is a 30mph zone but almost no-one drives at 30. 40-60mph is the norm. Even lorries thunder through on full throttle - and they're professional drivers. And if you dare drive at 30 you get an angry queue behind you who overtake and beep at the earliest possible opportunity.

So why not just raise the limit to 60?
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    But yes if the plate is upside down, obscurred with dirt or hidden by a bike rack then it won't register on the camera and god forbid a speeder might get away with his/her crime.

A friend boasted to me that he deliberately obscured his number plate with a bike rack. It was a £30 fine (iirc) and no points if he was stopped (he never was) as opposed to a much heavier penalty for speeding.

At the end of these police tv shows they give a re-cap of what actually happened to the 'crims'. It's always pathetic: a £30 fine here, a caution there, or often "insufficient evidence" and no action.

I've never had any dealings with the police, but won't be in the least bit worried the day I do get pulled over. I sometimes honestly wonder why I bother sticking to the rules when no-one else seems to. And then I remember I'm not a complete b*******d and actually care about the welfare of my fellow human beings.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    And herein lies my point. If illegal plates don't allow drivers to dodge fines and, if anything, are more memorable in the event of an accident - why are they illegal?

I see them everywhere, every single day, so the police surely must. They could probably just have the DVLA log them and write to the owner with a warning. But they don't care and they don't bother, so why not just make them legal?

Same as speed limits. A village near me is a 30mph zone but almost no-one drives at 30. 40-60mph is the norm. Even lorries thunder through on full throttle - and they're professional drivers. And if you dare drive at 30 you get an angry queue behind you who overtake and beep at the earliest possible opportunity.

So why not just raise the limit to 60?

Can you hear yourself?

Loads of people steal from shops and don't all get caught. Does that mean we should legalise theft?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure