Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options

Comments

• sofa_surfer
    Options
    Completely missed their notification - so was caught by surprise when the AMEX started getting declined 2 weeks ago.
    Once realised the reason, sent them two messages to log a complaint, then got a phone call today to inform me 'there is nothing we can do'.
    However persisted to talk to the complaints manager, who said as an exception he will credit my account with £100, before sendling me a letter to confirm I have accepted the complaint resolution.
    Given that my cashback is usually around teh £50 mark, this gives me 2 years to think what to do next.
    iaye carramba!
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    which is good going. on the face of it, the thing to do next, is just keep using your Barclaycard Visa. i use it as a back up to an Amex Cashback card.
  • ConfusedTwo
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that their payment for July 2017 shows as £0 in their credit report? Mine was most definitely paid in full that month.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    I contacted them about changing my card to the cashback one (Visa 0.5% cashback), despite them removing the Amex one.

They said it's not possible at the moment to move me to the Visa cashback card, as the team have only recently completed the change over it, could be waiting for the 100% completion before enabling this again.

So to whoever wants to swap to the cashback card, wait for another few months and try.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that sounds a little ominous to me.. perhaps they are going to scrap it altogether, or reduce the rate:think:.
  • guesswho2000
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    that sounds a little ominous to me.. perhaps they are going to scrap it altogether, or reduce the rate:think:.

Rate reduction seems likely, given the 0.3% interchange cap, 0.5% cashback seems unsustainable. Nationwide are doing the same with the Select, goes to 0.25% in the New Year at some point.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if Amex will be next to lower cashback rates?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,515 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    They already have, back in 2014 (effective for all customers by the end of next year).
    Given the Platinum Cashback Card is one of the only Credit Cards Amex offer which is not subject to the interchange cap, I think if anything they'll put the rate up to incentivise transitioning from Nectar and other unprofitable credit cards.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

Directly issued Amex cards should be fine. Cards issued by other banks will disappear. Even the BA Amex card, issued by Amex themselves, is caught by the new caps
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes I’m waiting for Lloyds Bank to contact me and replace my Choice Rewards duo with another product; hasn’t happened yet but given it was pulled from sale earlier on in the year I feel it’s a case of ‘when’ now.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure