🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Rooting for you. Don't forget you were considering looking to circulate your CV earlier this year, so you were better placed to move jobs, before you remortgaged. Maybe time to initiate that while awaiting redundancy options?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thinking of you today. Hope you find out what you need to know, and get some clarity as to what you need to do.
    apple x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your posts. My employer has not told my team we are going into consultation yet, it looks like this will happen Friday and with a small team we will know the outcome quickly. Based on my work and contribution to the project I should be OK but I do not trust my employer to do the right thing.

Funnily enough I had an email from an agency yesterday about a job that I am going to apply for.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    All crossed for you today! Make sure whichever route you go, it is the best thing for you and your family. No harm in responding to an agent! My experience is that Jan-March is the worst time because of proximity to end of tax and financial years, but that probably reflects public sector
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Fingers crossed XS
  • XSpender
    Options
    The reduction to my team is smaller than expected and I will probably be OK but who know with my employer. I am unhappy about the lack of clarity they have given around timescales and process. It's going to be a SH1**ty Christmas for one of us :(

It is the end of the client's and my employer's financial year SL, this is why it is happening now.:(

Luckily I have managed not to think about it too much this weekend and will just have to see what happens. It has spurred me on to see what is out there and I am going to get my CV rewritten and stop putting it off because I like the work I do on this contract. My other motivation is that I believe I am worth more money. That sounds big headed and I do have a bit of imposter syndrome which again stops me going for the jobs which I am capable of doing.

I am away with work a few days this week and am planning to get my Christmas cards written (I dislike this job) and write all the activities for DS Activity Advent. It does have some little chocs in it too as I can't always do an activity if I am away. He gets a shop bought sweetie one too. Har1b0 this year.

On Saturday I sorted out the front bedroom which has all the books, DVDs and CDs from the guest room which no longer has any shelves in it. The CDs alone fill one of those big plastic crates with a lid. By the end of this week I will have scanned and posted the lot to Mu51c Magp13. I have £30 of books to go to Z1f1tt and a pile to go to a friends charity shop along with an old TV unit and anything else I can find. The charity shop don't take hardbacks so these will have to go to a different shop.

The carpets are getting cleaned on Friday. Not including the 10 month old bedroom carpet that I have managed to keep pristine until DH decided to walk all over it in muddy trainers yesterday :mad::mad::mad:

I have finished my 19 before 2019 list which I will pop on a separate post :)
  • XSpender
    Options
    Here is my list of goals/tasks to achieve before the end of the year.
    1. Set up DS ISA including CTF transfer
    2. Lose 4lb
    3. Sell DS old clothes on faceache
    4. Sell DVD's, CDs and books and charity shop leftovers
    5. Re-hang breakfast room curtains
    6. Smear test and flu jab
    7. Save another OP to carpet account (£47.97)
    8. Book holiday flights and airport hotel, cancel Folkestone hotel
    9. A boots-on walk
    10. A National Trust visit
    11. A cinema visit with DS and DH (some corkers coming out around Christmas)
    12. Deep clean every room in the house
    13. List and organise the 2 freezers
    14. Do a Park Run or a run around the streets at least
    15. Update address on 'C' pension
    16. Book eye test for me and DH
    17. Change my mobile phone to SIM only
    18. Complete a comparison/change gas and electricity supplier
    19. Have my CV professionally re-written
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck in your job hunt!

Your advent calendar idea sounds really nice. When we were growing up Mom did us one with things like erasers/sweets/toy bracelets etc in it which we thought was fab but I gather it was a lot of effort. What kinds of activities do you put in it?

I love the 19 things before 2019 idea and shall thief it. :rotfl:
  • XSpender
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    Good luck in your job hunt!

Your advent calendar idea sounds really nice. When we were growing up Mom did us one with things like erasers/sweets/toy bracelets etc in it which we thought was fab but I gather it was a lot of effort. What kinds of activities do you put in it?

I love the 19 things before 2019 idea and shall thief it. :rotfl:

Thief away DD265.

Last year was the first year I did the activity advent calendar for DS and he loved it so it was worth the effort. It has things like pancakes and strawberries for breakfast (his favourite), decorate Christmas cookies (ready made ones that came with icing tubes form Mr T for a couple of quid), make a Christmas decoration (kit from somewhere or other), watch a Christmas movie with a hot chocolate, write your Christmas cards, buy Daddy a Christmas present, donate to the food bank, Christmas activity sheets, wrap presents and notes like 'good luck in your Christmas play', 'have fun at the Rugby Christmas party' for the days when we are too busy to do an activity.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had never heard of imposter syndrome until I read your post. And then i found this: [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.earlytorise.com/how-to-overcome-imposter-syndrome[/FONT]

in my inbox, so thought of you at once!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure