Dismissal for gross misconduct- advice needed

Options
Hi. I found out today that I have been dismissed for gross misconduct. The allegation is that I made private international calls which has incurred the company £3200 worth of costs over a 3 month period. I had not known about the costs to the company and this was dropped as a bombshell on me. I have made international costs at previous employers before and as far as I understood voip calls are all inclusive and do not incur incremental costs. The organisation is also a large worldwide business and so I was under the impression that this would be case here too.
I explained at the disciplinary hearing that if I had known about the costs being incurred by the bank, I could have easily used whatsapp to make the calls. The reason why I didnt was because landline call offered better connectivity.
I have been very upfront and honest during the investigation process and caused no trouble at all despite some of the information provided being incorrect.
My question is whether using company phone to make calls is something that can be construed as "gross misconduct"? I have not stolen anything, not committed any fraud nor are my actions based on knowingly deceiving the organisation.
I am so shocked by this. I have a right to appeal but I no longer trust the organisation to make an objective assessment of my case. Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes of course using the comapnys phone for personal calls is gross misconduct regardless of cost.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even at your own expense you should not be making private calls while on company time. Or using company equipment.
    Yes I think it is gross misconduct. You have effectively stolen £3200.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Of course it's gross misconduct. Even if the calls were free you shouldn't be making them on company time.:eek:
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Simpleton1 wrote: »
    Hi. I found out today that I have been dismissed for gross misconduct. The allegation is that I made private international calls which has incurred the company £3200 worth of costs over a 3 month period. I had not known about the costs to the company and this was dropped as a bombshell on me. I have made international costs at previous employers before and as far as I understood voip calls are all inclusive and do not incur incremental costs. The organisation is also a large worldwide business and so I was under the impression that this would be case here too.
    I explained at the disciplinary hearing that if I had known about the costs being incurred by the bank, I could have easily used whatsapp to make the calls. The reason why I didnt was because landline call offered better connectivity.
    I have been very upfront and honest during the investigation process and caused no trouble at all despite some of the information provided being incorrect.
    My question is whether using company phone to make calls is something that can be construed as "gross misconduct"? I have not stolen anything, not committed any fraud nor are my actions based on knowingly deceiving the organisation.
    I am so shocked by this. I have a right to appeal but I no longer trust the organisation to make an objective assessment of my case. Any advise would be appreciated.

Really? You don't trust them? Well that makes two of you. They don't trust you either, and they have reason not to. You don't make personal international calls on business phones - whatever you think the cost is or isn't. You were fairly dismissed. I trust you have repaid them the money that you stole from them?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its a wind up. has to be.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Simpleton1 wrote: »
    I have not stolen anything, not committed any fraud nor are my actions based on knowingly deceiving the organisation.

You HAVE stolen something.

You stole the time spent on the phone calls.

You also caused the company a large financial loss.
    :hello:
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect so too. But it's hard to tell these days because it's amazing at times how blind people are to their own actions, and are convinced nothing is their fault.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have they actually shown you the bills? If so, not sure there's much you can do. Not that I share the moral outrage of some of the posters above.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Most phones don't need winding anymore...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Simpleton1
    Simpleton1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Appreciate them all.

The calls were made out of hours. I knew that my calls were from my own line and would show up on my call log and made no attempt to hide that.

At a minimum I spend 9 hours solid working every day when contractual hours are 7. I wouldn't mind repaying the company. Just wished I had a warning before it got to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure