Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We need to sell the house for several reasons:

- We can then both pay off our own individual debts which we couldn't service if we lived on our own
    - Selling the house gives the correct valuation of the house so there are no arguments over valuation of it
    - There are simply too many memories in the house for either of us to stay in it, we both need to move on.

It needs to be the best move financially and emotionally.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    mbmonty wrote: »
    Some irony coming from someone calling themself "BrassicWoman"

Only if you believe money buys happiness...
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

If I was in the OPs position I definitely wouldn't want to further complicate an already difficult seperation by entering into a business partnership with my ex. Being in negative equity is the only situation where I would even consider this but the OP has already stated this isn't the case (they'll split the equity 50/50).

He has to man up and she has to start putting her children first by getting rid of drug habit.

They both need to think about how best they can care for the children well into adulthood with Uni and everything, a property will do that.

Primrose said it all, very well.

The first thing they need to do is accept where there are, forget the blame because it serves no purpose and just focus on what will give them the best long term opportunity.

They are always going to be in a partnership, they are joined at the hips, it is called having children.

They should agree that neither party goes back to live in it, maybe sell it to a trust for benefit of their kids, legal fees will not be more than estate agent fee.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If only renting out was so simple.

OP I'd agree that you are better off selling. Renting will tie you together even more than having children. You would either need to get consent to let or remortgage to a buy to let. You would have to make sure you could cover void periods etc which are likely to add more stress to an already stressful situation.

Selling the house gives you the chance of a fresh start and you are not too old to buy another house once you get a new job.

Good luck with everything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport