Rambling on...

edited 21 April 2017 at 9:04PM in Debt free diaries
2K replies 132.1K views

Replies

• RosaBerniciaRosaBernicia Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cry Fox and Water Weed just landed on my doormat today - I think that's my entertainment for the evening  :)
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Chris_JayChris_Jay Forumite
    18 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are they part of the Rivers of London series? My set of seven books is tomorrow, but I don't know when I'll be able to start reading them, as some family stuff has dropped into my lap out of the blue...😟
    18 Posts
    Forumite
    I found Goblet of Fire very heavy going and was glad that a large chunk wasn't in the film but apart from that, I still read them, if in need of something familiar. You know the times I mean, I'm sure. Over the past two years I've stayed within my literary favourites, and I doubt that I'm the only one who's done it. I have a stack of new books waiting for attention, including the latest Diana Gabaldon, having read each one as it came out, but it's huge! Physically it's too heavy for arthritic hands and wrists plus it's hardback 😃
  • RosaBerniciaRosaBernicia Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chris_Jay said:
    Are they part of the Rivers of London series? My set of seven books is tomorrow, but I don't know when I'll be able to start reading them, as some family stuff has dropped into my lap out of the blue...😟
    Yes, but they are two of the graphic novels - the stories interlink with the main series, but aren't essential to follow. 
    Chris_Jay said:
    I found Goblet of Fire very heavy going and was glad that a large chunk wasn't in the film but apart from that, I still read them, if in need of something familiar. You know the times I mean, I'm sure. Over the past two years I've stayed within my literary favourites, and I doubt that I'm the only one who's done it. I have a stack of new books waiting for attention, including the latest Diana Gabaldon, having read each one as it came out, but it's huge! Physically it's too heavy for arthritic hands and wrists plus it's hardback 😃
    I enjoyed the first Outlander but lost patience with it around book 3.  It's, um, a bit controversial up here.  US is probably better qualified to comment than me! 

Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
    18 Posts
    Forumite
    Interesting! Why is that? I read the first one when it was called Cross-stitch, on the recommendation of my friend who thought it was about cross stitching, her favourite pastime. How we laughed... There are some awful mistakes in it, I don't know where she did her research! For the US stuff, I have to take the history at face value, as it wasn't a topic in senior school when I was younger; the rest of it is just fiction. I've never watched any of it as I have my own Claire and Jamie in my head, and no matter how good the cast and production team are, they need to be incredibly good to overlay my characters.

My new books came today....🥳
    18 Posts
    Forumite
    Hey, UC. I started Rivers of London about two hours ago. Now I need to eat before getting into it. I forsee an addiction....😄
    18 Posts
    Forumite
    Ps. I meant, of course, getting back into it! Thanks for the suggestion about Calibre, I'll get back to you on that. Food...
  • UncannyScotUncannyScot Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning Folks,

Aye, Outlander... *shudders*

The historical (hysterical?) inaccuracies both in books and in the tv adaptation are the source of much debate, argument and embarrasment... 

Written by an american who, as usual for a lot of american writers, did the bare minimum of research on their subject and romantiscised a very sensitive period of Scottish history... 

Personally, I cannae stand it, however, there is no denying the positive impact it has had on the Scottish tourist trade. The tour guides LOVE to correct all the inaccuracies.

I've been continuing with my reading of The Long Earth series, I'm about half-way through "The Long Mars" and still enjoying it.

Chris_Jay - Glad to hear you're enjoying The Rivers of London, it really does pull you in doesn't it?

Well, I'm back in that place I need to be in order to pay the bills etc. so I must dash, will pop in throughout the day.

The Homebrew is still brewing but I suspect it will be ready to bottle sometime during the week...

It's a wet n miserable Monday up here beyond the wall but thankfully it's indoor work and no heavy lifting...

Catch up laters

Much love fae me n the Dug
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    81K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wet & very miserable here too.
    Happy Monday!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • UncannyScotUncannyScot Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Afro Folks!

I contacted the eight legged provider today for a quote to move away from BG...

Currently on smart metered PAYG with BG. I am fed up of paying more each month than everyone else (higher tarrifs and standing charges) and just want to change to a provider that actively seeks to help their customers rather than milking them dry...

According to the nice lass I spoke to at the eight legged provider, after 3 months with them I would be able to switch from PAYG to credit meters (smart of course) and pay by monthly DD. This should mean that I'll be paying less than what I would have been if I'd just stayed with BG, as I'd no longer be paying the higher charges for energy and standing charges etc.

Some might think or say that I won't save much, if anything, however, the eight legged one has a good reputation of actually helping their customers, as well as being competitive and providing (as well as investing in) renewable, sustainable 100% green energy... 

So, now I'm just waiting on them contacting me with a quote and all going well I'll be topping up at the post office for another three months or so and then switching to a monthly DD on a decent dual fuel tariff...

Wish me luck folks

Much love fae me n the Dug
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.