Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
1.6K replies 157.4K views

Replies

• TafrockTafrock Forumite
    630 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Yes I wondered that why there was two identical powerpacks. I bought them both

I don't understand the concept of days hence why I never quote it. All other companies use pence per kWh so I find it easier to compare like with like

It's the one thing I dislike about powershop (the way they quote their energy prices)

I know the discounts come off standing charge too but I always take the full discount off the unit cost for comparison purposes. So a 20 percent discount I say is my price of 13.5p/kWh minus 2.7p (20%) ie 10.8p per kWh

It may not be the entirely accurate way of working out costs but I can compare the kWh price with other companies that way.

I also look at the standing charge cost of 16.6p per day and compare it to other companies standing charge costs

For a totally accurate method of calculation I can take my total costs over a period of time ie unit cost plus standing charge and compare to the same period with other companies
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    Well last months 'Web person' made a lot of mistakes I guess. No limit applied on a heavily discounted powerpack that was meant to be limited

Validity date errors on many powerpacks

Incorrect October pack versions being sent to wrong customers
  • fewkestefewkeste Forumite
    471 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Last year I was able to buy 5 X £10 November Future packs at 23.5% giving a credit balance of £65.35 to my account for the expenditure of £50. This year (earlier today) I was able to buy two Future Packs @£15.30 with a discount of 27.6% giving a credit balance of £42.28. So last year the November Future Pack delivered £65.35's worth of credit in my account - this year only £42.28's worth of credit balance. 42.28/65.35 X 100 = 64.69% or in other words a 35.3% reduction in discounted credit, or to say it another way - a 35% price increase.

Cast your mind back a couple of months when someone noticed the estimated bills for later this year on the PS app were approx. 30% higher than last year. It all starts to make sense now.

The denial of discounts to the same level as last year is a de facto price rise by stealth methinks and all planned well in advance given the higher bill estimates on the PS app. Maybe it's time to start running the credit down and looking for another competitive supplier.
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    Hmm that's strange. I could only purchase £17.82 electricity whereas like yourself I could purchase £65.35 last year. I think I see how this is working

Last year powershop had no idea how much electricity I was about to use and obviously estimated my annual usage based on my first month's figures.

That's why I was able to buy so much energy.

It also explains why last month the October pack that was sent to me in error had a far higher discount than the one that should have been offered to me
  • fewkestefewkeste Forumite
    471 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Hmm that's strange. I could only purchase £17.82 electricity whereas like yourself I could purchase £65.35 last year. I think I see how this is working

Yes - I think last year everybody could buy 5 X £10 Future packs irrespective of their consumption level. This year I suspect they're refining their Future Pack offering to reflect customers' consumption like they do with Special Packs.
  • Mick_PopkaMick_Popka Forumite
    73 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    It was me that posted about the inflated "monthly cost estimates".

At the time the feedback from PS when I queried these higher figures was that they were just "Guesstimates".

Here are the current figures, showing the actual bill cost or 2017/18 and the "guesstimates" for the equivalent month in 2018/19:

Oct-17 £79.74 Oct-18 £98.34 +23%
    Nov-17 £71.01 Nov-18 £106.57 +50%
    Dec 17 £94.20 Dec-18 £130.73 +39%
    Jan-18 £77.56 Jan-19 £113.38 +46%
    Feb-18 £66.47 Feb-19 £97.55 +47%
    Mar-18 £79.16 Mar-19 £104.17 +32%
    Apr-18 £78.99 Apr-19 £101.43 +28%

You can see these figures for your account for 2018/19 on the mobile App only.
    73 posts
    Tafrock: Originally Posted by Tafrock View Post
    Fewkeste: Yes - I think last year everybody could buy 5 X £10 Future packs irrespective of their consumption level. This year I suspect they're refining their Future Pack offering to reflect customers' consumption like they do with Special Packs

Joining in October I wasn't offered the November Future, instead it was the December Future of 5 x £10 (cost) = £65.25 (value).

Now I'm being offered for Nov 2 x £19.37 (cost) with a total "value" of £53.52. This equates to a drop of approx 22%.
    73 posts
    Just to let you all know that my 3rd request for a refund worked, including the request for a partial refund of the Jumbo pack I bought in September 2017.
    Good morning.

I am just emailing you to confirm we have refunded all the stated Powerpacks you requested, and the amount should now be in your bank.

Apologies about any misunderstanding in regards to the partially used Powerpack, but we have refunded this pack for you also.

Best wishes, Ryan

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

No explanation or clarification provided, just an apology, of sorts.
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    I've just completed my first year with powershop. It's proved to be the correct choice

Usage in year was 2905.9 kWh. Total cost including standing charge of £345.85 which equates to 11.9p per kwh

If I remove standing charge that's a cost per kWh of 9.81p

I don't use the day method but that equates to a cost of 94.75p per day Inc standing charge or 78.15p per day without standing charge

I think that was pretty unbeatable. However powershop have set the target for 2018/19 so low I'm bound to pay more next year
    73 posts
    Tafrock,
    What is the PS offer for your second year?