We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It was nice reading your post as there seem to be many opportunities opening up regarding work. Sorry about the idiots in the garden. I am having a coffee and menu planning this morning too.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,503 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    LOts of positives :)
    Hope barbacue went well.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome back. All sounding promising on the job front :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hello you lot, thanks for dropping in. BBQ isn't until this Saturday, I just like to panic well in advance. Meats are all in place and menu has been sorted. Nothing more to be done until Friday apart from getting the house sorted. There's so much to do and, as usual, the other occupiers have made themselves oblivious to this.

OK I get that I may only be the one who thinks that part of the kitchen wall needs repainted, we had a leak from the boiler but fixing the toilet seat so it is attached with more than one screw is not me being picky! Neither is cleaning drip marks from the lid of the kitchen bin, etc. also, while we were away, dd did a sort out of stuff from her room. Now it's scattered in various piles throughout the house. Not good. I don't have the best of relationships with all of my family members so don't want to give them the chance to criticise any more than usual.

Speaking of family, I called in with my mum yesterday who was in surprising not a hyper critical mode. She does keep asking if I'm looking for a job. I get that the older generation think a job is for life but for the past thirty years, I've had a total of 2 employers. It's not that I'm flighty but her constant querying undermines my confidence. DD heads off next week for the 3 and a bit month summer job. Not sure how I will do without my cheerleader.

On the work front, I had applied a few weeks ago for a few days a month post in the public sector. I'd expected to hear back but hadn't so I chased up. It appears my application had been designated by IT systems as a threat and automatically quarantined and binned. I was able to resubmit yesterday so fingers crossed. If I got this, it would allow for all our living costs to be covered each month with anything else being for the taxman, the mortgage, etc.
    Today I need to knuckle down and complete another application form and get my assignment underway. I also need to get laundry on the go as it looks like good drying weather. I also need to get in touch with my accountant and set up a proper meeting as opposed to one that's as much of a personal catch up as anything else.

Yesterday I heard back from my former employer re a query I had around money I believed they owed me. They aren't playing ball so today I need to decide to either let it go or to engage a solicitor. The value may be swallowed up by solicitor costs but it really rankles given how much they got from me over and above the time that was paid. The question is if I can afford to tackle something that is a matter of principle. Thoughts?

Today I am grateful for
    The safety of my family and the efforts of those assisting in Manchester
    Sunshine
    Friendships both actual and virtual
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 60% through my pb challenge.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    It appears my application had been designated by IT systems as a threat and automatically quarantined and binned.
    Well done for chasing it up
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Busterboo_2
    Busterboo_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Doingitanyway, I am really enjoying your diary and reading back through your other threads! Hope you have a good day :)
    Jan - x2 Wins, Feb -
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,503 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    As you say is it worth the time & effort of chasing it up.
    It would stick in my craw too.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Well, interestingly I spoke to OH about it. We have set a cap of what we will commit to pursuing this. So, solicitor to be contacted tomorrow. I attended a networking event today and have three leads to pursue and I odd a shop in sainsbobs and got 12p a litre off voucher for diesel so I fed the car. Picked up quite a few whoopsied things inc a duck crown and stir fry veg that became OH's dinner with enough left for his lunch for tomorrow. I also got drink supplies for the BBQ. Tomorrow I intend to work and I'm giving myself Friday off. I've decided that I need to designate work days or every day becomes a bit of an everything day with lots of frittering being done.
    Other news, dd has been decluttering so 4 bin bags to go to the chazza. Yay
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 60% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Well Thursday's plan was scuppered by nephew turning up unannounced needing help with an application due in fri lunchtime. Friday was a bitsy day and today is BBQ day. It's also the day when thunderstorms are predicted! Am heading towards full blown panic mode but at least the toilet seat has been fixed. Have lists coming out my ears and it's pretty much paralysis by analysis. Have also lost control of my finances.

Dog heads off on wed for just over three months while dd exits on Thursday. Next weekend I must grab the finances by the scruff of the neck and see how I can move forward. I have two things to get cracking with work wise so will earn my first fee in the coming weeks.

Can I please have lots of positive vibes for today? Am dreading the various family undercurrents but, this time tomorrow, it'll all be over. Yay
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done on your first fee on its way :)

I too have a complex family dynamic and used to get terrible migraines at every family gathering. Minimise conversations with the difficult people. Concentrating on any children used to help me most.

You'll be okay :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family