We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Families can be difficult to deal with. Try to take time for yourself if you are feeling you need it. Tomorrow will soon arrive.

Toilet seats are not what they used to be. Well done on getting yours fixed.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have finally read your diary up to date! Hoping you have survived the BBQ...? It's horrible waiting for criticism to start. :( I used to live in fear of it but some of those people have now gone and interestingly, with the passage of time and aging eyesight, some people are now unlikely to say anything!

Sometimes one of the best bits of having people round is when they have gone home again and for five minutes I have a lovely house before I have to bring out the stuff I've stashed away! Having said that, our guests this weekend are positive and easy going so we are having fun.

I'm not sure what's best for you to do about going to a solicitor. Maybe just the threat of taking legal advice may be enough to make your former employers pay you?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    BBQ passed off quite well. Rain that threatened from the get go arrived approx 2 hours into it. Usual family tensions but,on the surface, all was good. Mother did complain about lack of dessert. I was just waiting for others to have their fill of savouries before serving it!
    Some bad news today. OH had left their laptop in for repair. Apparently this will cost £480. He's talking about going without for a few months while saving for this. I think we should fund from emergency fund esp if he thinks the money will be there in a few months. We have agreed to work through our finances tomorrow and see exactly where things stand.

On other news,today has been an incredibly lazy day bar getting dd into work. This week I am on site with a client on Tuesday. It'll be odd getting back in the saddle but a bit of a relief. I'm not sure my work suits will fit if I leave things much longer. Did my weekly weigh in this morning and got away with being the same weight.

Yesterday, I got another £20 payout from pa requested. It's less than 1 percent of what used to come in each month but I'm just trying to sustain even a trickle. Also managed to offload some of dd's unused bags to nieces yesterday. It's slow but there are definitely more things leaving the house than are coming in.

Today I am grateful for
    The clearing up efforts of dd and oh
    Support particularly from one niece
    The dog
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,941 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Why is the dog going away for 3 months?
    Glad today went well.
    Hurrah for first fee.
    Boo to laptop.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    DD works overseas for 3 months every summer. When I have work, the dog could be cooped up indoors for up to 12 hours at a time. It wouldn't be fair on her, she's a lab and our back garden isn't enclosed. So, she goes to a friend who lives near the beach on the north coast and is very well looked after. I really miss the welcome she gives me when I come into the house when she's away.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Ah ok.
    Apologies. I thought I had missed something.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    happy for the interest, our dog is the smiliest dog ever but i'd sooner miss her while knowing she's having a good time than have her miserable. today I heard from a former colleague and friend who had been off radar. turns out she's been going through surgery and treatment for breast cancer. in her usual fashion though, she's decided to handle this all herself and won't accept any help. if she hadn't been on the end of email and phone, i could have throttled her. i get that she's not telling her children as they are both dealing with exams but wish i could convince her that others could and would pitch in if she would allow it. This is someone who is comfortably off, married with 2.4 children (dog!) and who would appear to have it all. wish i hadn't got the wake up call this way but sod the overspends. i can deal with these. just need to value the important bits
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a difficult thing for her to try and deal with on her own.

You're right about wake up calls. It's so easy to get bogged down with the money thing, important stuff gets forgotten.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So, all prepped for tomorrow as far as I can be given the lack of clarity from my ex employer. Hoping to be on the road around 8.15. Will be a late night as I'm taking advantage of getting my mileage paid to catch up over dinner with a former client while I'm in dublin. Forgot to mention, having dropped dd into work for 9 this morning, I felt sorry for her and did a sausage roll run. Returning to the car from dropping them off, I found a wet £20 note. That doubles the monthly income!
    Today I am grateful for
    Help and calming words from OH (I know I shouldn't be nervous but I am)
    Seeing the benefits of the tidy up like cherry fudge said
    Being able to get in touch with someone I needed to speak to
    Visitors here
  • beanielou
    Options
    We love being your visitors :)
    & I love the fact you found the note :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure