A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pleased you found the £20 note just when it was needed :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope today goes well, and hooray for doubling income! Not so good re your friend though - she will appreciate your words, even if she doesn't want or need practical help. An important reminder for us all though.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    dropped dd off at the airport at 8 this morning. now need to knuckle down to work though will be meeting the ex colleague with the breast cancer diagnosis for lunch today. i really need to crack on but can't not meet her given who things stand. it's been a fraught and expensive few days but i got through it, with OH cheering me on.
    hit a bit of a panic for Tuesday but things went OK. just need to get the write ups done that ex employer still hasn't agreed to pay me for. having said that, i used the session to also sell my services so i need to complete this job for me as much as for them.
    yesterday, we delivered the dog to her summer home. Before we set off, BIL arrived with a kick !!! bunch of flowers that unfortunately contain lilies that trigger my sneezing. sooner than disturb the arrangement, we regifted to the friend who is dog sitting who was most appreciative.

we then did a hospital visit to my ex SIL, DD's aunt who is currently at the palliative care stage with cancer. it was a tough one as DD knows she won't be here by the time she gets back. however, everyone made the effort and spirits were good. i had been advised by her sister that the only thing she had asked for were notelets and stamps so some outlay on that and notelets that i'd probably never use have left the house.
    the house is currently a bit of a disaster site due to rushing in and out, packing, stashing things pre BBQ, etc but i'm giving things to the end of next week to get sorted. bins however get collected tomorrow so all rubbish will go out tonight.
    OH is using emergency fund to repair laptop so i've challenged him to replace the money by sales of extraneous items that clutter. hopefully, that will happen and things will depart.
    today i am grateful for the health and safety of my family (inc the dog)
    the bacon sandwich OH made when i returned from the airport run
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    when i opened my business bank account, there was a cashback offer based on a minimum number of transactions. checked my account today and there was an extra £250! not sure that i'll meet the next target by end of year but, was a pleasant surprise. also, when at lunch I got free parking thanks to my ex colleague. even better, dinner came from in house supplies as i curbed my tendency to celebrate a wee windfall with a takeaway. i'm back in dublin tomorrow so a late finish may make that a strong possibility
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    All in all a very gratifying day! I don't know if you can plan tomorrow's takeaway so as to minimise the damage, but I think if I were travelling and finishing late, I'd want a takeaway too!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Great news on the business account :)
    I know you will miss the dog as your dog regularly features in your things to be grateful for daily list...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Did my travels and due to having cleared most of the work in advance of the meeting, got away early. I detoured to a quite close ald1, a chain we don't have in NI. This cost me 40 euros but there are quite a few meals from what I got inc last night's dinner so the takeaway was avoided. Purchases were teamed with bacon and eggs that we already had to produce a cooked breakfast this morning that included potato bread. Yay.

It was really good to be back in the saddle this week feeling like I had some purpose again. On the foot of that, I cleared the kitchen up last night instead of leaving it to be faced today and contacted my accountant so a meeting has been set up for 20th. She wanted to do it over dinner but I've insisted that we meet here first, go through paperwork, etc and then have dinner. She's doing the systems set up free of charge so I will pay for dinner. Just need to go on a coupon hunt!

Today I a tackling the various bundles of laundry deposited by dd throughout the house. This is in advance of her departure. She did tell me that they could stay until she got back. Really? I know I can be a bit slapdash but dirty clothes languishing for 3 months is beyond even me.

In tidying her room, she identified a number of things to go. Today I will work through the books and see if there's any value in resale. I will also but stuff in bags for charity shop and at least one item will go on the bay in the hope of some pennies. I will also dig out some paperwork that should allow me to dispose of an item for around £50.

On other news, when at the client yesterday, the staff member mentioned that a charity in which he is involved will be going out to tender for one of the services I supply. I asked to be included in those to whom the tender will issue. Fingers crossed that it happens. If it did, I'd need to up my insurance which I'd be happy to do as it'd be 3 years of guaranteed income.

Anyhow, need to get myself underway. First big decision of the day - do I make a list or just try to get stuck in?
  • in_need_of_direction
    in_need_of_direction Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 June 2017 at 8:09AM
    Options
    well, ds arrived home yesterday to see his sick aunt. it also meant he was out of London when the incident happened but one of his friends, who spent Christmas with us, was caught up in the disruption. how ironic would it be to have survived being "a child of the troubles" and then get caught up in something elsewhere.
    so, yesterday and today were bitsy days though i did wander to the local Co-Op this morning for bread, milk and stumbled across a £5 frozen deal. cue fish finger sarnies for my dinner while OH and DS feasted on reduced price fresh pizza.
    have spent this evening working on a job application for full time work. it's in my discipline, locally based, very well paid and pensionable. So, what's the problem? i feel like i'm being disloyal to my fledgling business still, others are applying and I only need to make a decision if I'm offered it.
    don't know what's wrong with me but I'm feeling antsy. i have four tasks for tomorrow. i relates to the application form, 2 to client work and the final one is procuring the NI pasty my son craves before he returns to London.
    hope everyone is keeping themselves and their loved ones safe.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Your mojo is officially back

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    You think? Hope it takes up residence!

Kicked off today with just a cuppa rather than the usual toast. Does anyone else just eat out of habit? Yesterday I was at the shop before eating and enjoyed breakfast so much more. Another overcast day here that is still warm. It just feels bleugh. Still, things to do so need to get a wiggle on.
    Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure