A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Thanks cherry. I slept as well as I expected given it was a strange bed. I then breakfasted on this hotel's speciality which is chunks of French toast, bacon and maple syrup. On the days I stay there, I safe money by eating an apple and grapes for lunch. Friday session went quite well then I gave in and paid €10 to take a tolled route that cut approx half an hour of my journey time home as I was going to see the Killers. They were amazing! I did however pick up a take away as I called OH about dinner. He had said he would finish early, he hadn't. He was going to start rummaging in the freezer, then maybe heat the oven, etc. to make something that we probably wouldn't have time to eat by the point at which it was ready. I was not amused. £11 was spent that could have been avoided with some forethought on his part.

Yesterday we had a funeral to go to at ten o'clock and I had stuff to work on when I got back. OH offered to help then disregarded the outline I sent through that the client had agreed and instead wasted an hour and a half while helping me by producing stuff that I can't use.

Today a discussion has been scheduled! Yesterday I dropped dd into work at 4 then went to sainsbugs as we were running low on essentials such as bread, milk and bacon! I also got a number of whoopsied items inc ready meal type things that dd will find so handy as, doing bar work, she will be very much grab and go where food is concerned. I used two extra points vouchers and a £12 off one. I also added to mother's Christmas gift bag.
    Today I have work to do, ideally I will pack as I'm away mon & tues, I need to visit my mother and I'd like some real food for dinner. You know something involving meat, potatoes and veg! If I have time I will also make soup liked by dd but not me, as there's a butternut squash to be used up.
    My couch to 5k graduates next Saturday. I did it last year but am not sure that I'm at that point this year. I will miss Monday but will go wed and make the call. Btw, mr wii reported no change this morning. Not good but am feeling a bit of relief. It could have been so much worse.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Forgot to add. The giftcard came thru from the tesco complaint. That went towards a £10.50 outlay needed for next years big project.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I'm glad its not just me who makes soup even though I don't like it. Hope you manage to find some common ground with your OH.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hope your busy Monday and Tuesday went well inod and you managed your discussion with OH!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So, the discussion with OH was a bit derailed. We needed some input from his family and when he called his mum professed to be unaware of stuff we had previously spoken to her about and basically tore strips off him and applied a major poor me guilt trip. He was in bits. This is after her call of last week advising that it wasn't convenient to make a pre Christmas trip on the first 2 weekends in dec as she had made other commitments. That would leave him needing to book flights the weekend pre Christmas to then go and eat a takeaway at theirs. Really? That's so not happening and the cost is just part of the reason.
    I have consistently thought that his parents are useless and yet he is so supportive of them. They are very opinionated (bigoted), set in their ways and cannot handle challenge. I'm glad it requires a plane journey for them to visit. Interestingly though, it's a journey they only make when it's booked and paid for by us. That won't be happening again. OH called their house on tues to speak to his brother. His mum must have realised just how out of order she had been as she didn't apologise but started on about how she'd been upset at the weekend as her brother's cancer had returned. This is the person who didn't once ask after my sis when she was dying of mnd but who believes that her bad news should allow the world to stop. I'm still so annoyed but am determined not to give her any more of my energy. They will be coming her next March but we've agreed that they will be responsible for their flights and for finding somewhere to stay as they aren't welcome here because of earlier pronouncements on the morality of us living together. I thought that, as the good christians they purport to be, the phrase judge not.... should inform their actions.

Anyhow, dublin mon and tues was a mixed bag. Apart from accommodation, spends were low as a friend treated me to dinner. I stopped off in mr al on the way home and availed of their super 6 lemons, leeks and onions. I also bought the two types of beef on offer and these along with some sulky carrots and spuds that we had became a monster pot of stew. I will call into my mum's with some today. I went to the last jog club of this session last night and while there, OH cooked up leeks and mushrooms which I ate alongside my stew to hit my 5 a day. This will sound ridiculous but it took my coach friend to point out that I could just supplement my standard meals to get to my veg intake. It's so obvious but entirely overlooked by me. I need to get more potatoes and then lunch today will be leek and potato soup.
    On money news, another invoice has gone and will be paid within two weeks. This will be my first 4 figure payment so I will be able to cover my sept and October expenses from it. On Monday, tcb settled a missing claim so there's £45 coming my way. I purchased 2 items from debenhams, 1 intended, 1 a consumable and availed of a quidco £2.50 bonus. OH cashed out from prolific and transferred the £20 to me and dd paid me £60 that she owed.
    Today I have a course to attend in the afternoon and am deliberating between bus or driving and paying parking. Dd and oh can come home with me if I drive but it'll mean an extra hour or so in town. Having said that, I could wander round the Christmas market. If I don't have money, I can't spend it. Tomorrow I am doing a webinar. It's my first one and I'm petrified but I reckon it's good exposure. It's also running a week ahead of the one announced by my former employer on the same subject.
    I have lots of work stuff to get done today but will be breaking for pop master and porridge with sultanas, cinnamon and chia at half ten.
    So so glad to be heading towards the weekend!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So glad that we can choose our friends :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So true beanie. Dropped stew into mother yesterday. At 86 and in pain, she just isn't making any effort any more. It's like she's just withdrawing though she does re emerge periodically to make !!!!!y comments. Attended a free course yesterday which gives me 2 hours cpd and was able to pick up a click and collect order while in town and stumbled across one eLement of OH's Christmas present. Another part was ordered last night to get a quidco bonus and, with another part identified, that leaves £3 in his budget. I saw a great Christmas card costing that yesterday and, although we don't normally exchange cards, I'm so tempted.

Today I'm doing my first webinar for a training company and I'm panicking as they've been a bit light on detail. Yesterday I chased up various outstanding bits and pieces from clients and today I need to tackle stuff relating to two others. I'm also frantically checking my bank account in the hope that money will trickle in but it's not happening so far.
    This evening there will be various trips to various shops. My £5 off a £25 spend expires today so that will be used. Dd needs a trip to buy dog food as she has a 15% discount today and I have £12 off a £60 spend in sainsbugs while next weeks voucher is only for £9. OH wants a book that's half price there and there are various non food consumables that we are running low on where their price is the same as the others.

Anyhow, need to unearth the thermals, it's freezing, and get a wiggle on. TGIF!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope today goes well.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    today i am grateful for
    the seminar falling into place
    money off vouchers
    technology
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Sounds like the webinar was all good inod. Well done!:j.

Sorry to hear your mum isn’t in a good place. I know she has made things difficult for you but you’ve been such a good daughter to her. You can hold your head up on that.

Also pleased to hear you are standing your ground with the bigoted in-laws.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts