Don't be scammed like me

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PKPK wrote: »
    Getting those types of comments left us speechless therefore I just wanted like any other parents the best for my child.
    You obviously failed to realise that the exact same comments are made to everyone who pays for the photos.

Good luck to your daughter in the future if she chooses a modelling career, but realise that competition is intense and it's not possible to pay for such a career. Natural beauty and poise (and a degree of luck) are required far more than ready cash.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 April 2017 at 1:02PM
    Options
    OP, you still don't seem to get it? There is no 'shortlist'. They'll happily take photos of anyone who is foolish enough to pay them, regardless of looks. All their punters will be told that they're 'professional' and 'have potential'. They're just telling you what you want to hear so that you'll willingly cough up the fee.
    Six Models is just a front that exists to channel punters to MAC Studios., in order to get round the law that prevents agencies from taking upfront fees-which no genuine agency will ever do.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    OP, you still don't seem to get it? There is no 'shortlist'. They'll happily take photos of anyone who is foolish enough to pay them, regardless of looks. All their punters will be told that they're 'professional' and 'have potential'. They're just telling you what you want to hear so that you'll willingly cough up the fee.
    Six Models is just a front that exists to channel punters to MAC Studios., in order to get round the law that prevents agencies from taking upfront fees-which no genuine agency will ever do.

Indeed. I have seen some of the girls who have fallen for these things and they are not even tall enough or thin enough! Models do look very different from normal girls. They are not necessarily conventionally beautiful, but they do really stand out. I expect some of these agencies might get other girls local PR type work, but that can involve the less glamorous stuff.

OP - if you really think your daughter has what it takes, just take some nice natural photos of her and email them in to the well-known London agencies. Then at least she will know for sure if she has what it takes. I think you just have to view the photos you paid for as a very expensive keepsake.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Isnt this just a (not so) new take on an age old scam ??
    Its even been on "the real hustle" ..

Stop a potential mark in the street, tell them they caught your eye with their outstanding unconventional looks and that you happen to be a scout for a modelling agency ..

Now, if only you had a portfolio ...
    Not to worry, i can link you up with a photoshoot for the outstanding price of £xxxx !!!

My daughter was short listed .

Sorry, but i suspect that list was not as short as you think :(
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thank you for your comment about sales pressure. Firstly, just to clarify, it was Six Models that I googled for the modelling prospects, who then organised the photo shoot with Mac studios. My daughter was short listed for the photo shoot so you can imagine how happy we were and told to bring btw 5-6 outfits. After the 3 hours of photos shoot, during the assessment with Mac studios the sales person started discussing some of their personal stuff which we could relate to hence making us fill we had some common grounds. She then told us that majority of the photos taken were suitable for my daughter’s portfolio and she was really surprised that my daughter was so professional without any previous experience in modelling. She said they only gave positive feedback to roughly 10% of the clients that walk through their door monthly.

(the next text is from Six Models

My name is Jake and I am the one who will be helping you in regard to linking ......with agencies. Hope this email finds you well!

Her portfolio looks absolutely amazing! She looks phenomenal!

She had the greatest feedback from your assessor over from MAC that day! So very well done!

I particularly love her location shoots.
    Even most experienced models find difficulty shooting in public but she is a pro!
    You should all be so super proud!
    Did she enjoy the shoot?
    Kind regards,

Jake )

Getting those types of comments left us speechless therefore I just wanted like any other parents the best for my child.
    If it were me I'd be more annoyed with Six Models rather than MAC Studios but your original post seems to blame MAC.....
    I want to let you know that I was scammed by Mac Studios
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). I paid them £1,975.00 for modelling photo shoot for my 14-year-old daughter. They promised that the portfolio will lead to various modelling jobs. And the Z card with her stats details should have sufficient information for agencies to contact us. They liaise with Six models who are supposed to refer potential models to agencies but all they do is give links to agencies for you to contact yourself. I fill cheated as talking to another child modelling agency (Bizzykidz) informed me that kids do not require hair and makeup for their photo shoots and each agency will take their own images, which means further costs. I ended up paying Bizzykidz £190.00 and we are still waiting for jobs from Bizzykidz. Should I contact Ombudsman or BBC Watchdog as vulnerable parents like me are being scammed.

A representative from which company - MAC or Six models - promised you that the portfolio would lead to various modelling jobs?
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Isnt this just a (not so) new take on an age old scam ??
    Its even been on "the real hustle" ..

Stop a potential mark in the street, tell them they caught your eye with their outstanding unconventional looks and that you happen to be a scout for a modelling agency ..

Now, if only you had a portfolio ...
    Not to worry, i can link you up with a photoshoot for the outstanding price of £xxxx !!!

Sorry, but i suspect that list was not as short as you think :(

I agree but once in a blue moon it does happen as that started Sophie Dahl's modelling career.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    I agree but once in a blue moon it does happen as that started Sophie Dahl's modelling career.
    I think Kate Moss was also discovered at an airport somewhere.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

Yes, she was 14/15 at the time.

Karen Elison(sp) was on Sunday Brunch the other Sunday. She was scouted in the street as a 15 year old, she thought it was a scam and gave the card to her Mum. Turned out it was Elite Models and she is still working in her late 30s on the cat walks.

Neither would be consider conventionally pretty but have the look and photograph which is what a real top model will have.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Yes, she was 14/15 at the time.

Karen Elison(sp) was on Sunday Brunch the other Sunday. She was scouted in the street as a 15 year old, she thought it was a scam and gave the card to her Mum. Turned out it was Elite Models and she is still working in her late 30s on the cat walks.

Neither would be consider conventionally pretty but have the look and photograph which is what a real top model will have.

Unfortunately when girls hear " you don't have to be conventionally pretty" , this probably just continues to feed this scam.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    Pollycat wrote: »
    donnac2558 wrote: »

The important thing for the OP to realise is that none of these women then had to pay an upfront fee of £2000 for a photoshoot.
    True model agencies take a cut of money made from modelling assignments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure