Don't be scammed like me

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Idiots are vulnerable people though, surely. Where's the contradiction? It's not their fault they are stupid enough to fall for obvious scams; they need protecting.

We clearly have a different options about vulnerable people and those you refer to as idiots.

I disagree that idiots need protecting
    They need to wise up.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    We clearly have a different options about vulnerable people and those you refer to as idiots.

I disagree that idiots need protecting
    They need to wise up.

The people I refer to as idiots are idiots. Stupid people who were born with below average intelligence. That's not a thing you can do anything about. Society needs to make sure they are not taken advantage of.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too was offered the "opportunity" to pay some money and add my daughter onto the books of an agency.

My response was, "if the agency are that sure she will get work, they can pay for the photo shoot, and take the money from any future proceeds they come up with". For some reason they didn't agree...
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell your daughter to concentrate on her education. I can't understand why parents want their children to be clothes horses. BTW this "scam" has been around for years.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    A good modelling agency can spot talent so will happily pay for the portfolio as they know it will make them money. They then take a cut of any money earned from mobs.

I used to be an office dogsbody on a mag and I don't think any of the models we used paid to be models. In fact I think the agencies used to prefer to just see a snapshot of the girl with no make-up on (the girls certainly all came to see us looking very natural). They want to see that the girl is naturally pretty and has an adaptable look. If you look at the Elite Models site they specifically ask for a normal photo with no make-up.
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    This is a very old and common scam (I'm using the word in a loose sense here) which preys on parents' pride in their children. Of course parents think their children are beautiful, of course they're flattered when some rogue little "agency" tells them so and that they could get into modelling.

And then they part with hundreds or thousands of pounds for a service which, in reality, is worth a fraction of that.

I feel bad for the OP, but they've been properly done.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    Options
    Their website offers "New Models Premium Package" for £1975, with a clear list of what you get for that payment. It seems really clear to me, and they make no promises at all. They are photographers not a model agency.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Unless MAC 'collared' the OP in a shopping centre with a 'promise' of definite modelling work if she took her daughter along to a paid photography shoot and that her daughter would have no chance with any modelling agency without a professional portfolio (which the OP claims another modelling agency has told her is not true), then the OP must have willingly gone along to the studio.

The OP refers to the company as MAC Studios but the website name is MacFashionPhotography which seems pretty clear that it is a company that takes photographs.

From the website:
    Mac Fashion Photography is happy to collaborate with the following modelling platforms and have had models signed using our portfolios to the agencies listed below:
    No promise there ^^^^

Also from their website:
    http://www.macfashionphotography.com/products-and-services/
    Model Portfolio

To a model, a portfolio can be paramount to success. Mac Fashion Photography understand the importance of portfolios and so we look to employ only the best creative team and consultants for shooting and then selecting images that show you in the best light. Our team has worked alongside agencies for years and so we know what is sought after in a portfolio. A diverse range of images that are in a number of settings and have you in different outfits and even different styles can make you a whole lot more desirable. A model that is adaptable to changing looks has a lot more chance of finding themselves filling the void in a casting director’s vision, Mac Fashion is here to make sure that is you.
    I can't see anything there that claims that a MacFashionPhotography portfolio would lead to various modelling jobs either.

Also from their website:
    http://www.macfashionphotography.com/contact-us/
    Mac Fashion do not only work with those at the very top though, we also assist numerous aspiring models to build that all important, professionally presented set of images that makes up a model’s portfolio. For anyone that is wanting to make a name for themselves in the modelling industry, being in London and shooting in one if its top studios can put you at an advantage. Our clients always go away with a diverse range of images and for those that are raw to this industry, you are able to take with you fresh skills and techniques to your next job. If you’re an aspiring model looking to create a striking portfolio or a company looking for a crack team of professionals to organise a shoot for a product launch, then we at Mac Fashion photography are on hand to help you achieve that with the highest level of quality.
    Nothing in there about promising that the portfolio would lead to modelling jobs either.

Perhaps the OP could come back and explain how she came to choose this company and exactly who within the company promised these modelling jobs.

I think she's misunderstood the business she paid almost £2K to.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 11:23AM
    Options
    OP failed to do the most basic research. 10 seconds on Google produces this: enough to put most people off.
    As mentioned by others, they take great care NOT to describe themselves as an agency.
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=macfashion%2Bscam
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP you've lost you money but you've learned from your mistake. These scoundrels will always con money out of people as they've done since the 60s.

I usually find that people who call others idiots are merely using the psychological phenominum of 'projection', that they unconsciously think of themselves as idiots having been called stupid at a tender age which then sinks deeply into their psyche and to make themselves feel better about themselves they dump these feelings on others.

I've worked with all types of people from those with an IQ of 85 to paranoid schizophrenics and yes they do need protecting by those who are more able and unfortunately some can never 'wise up' because we're all different with different upbringings.

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
    Earl Nightingale
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport