PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours over the road - Antisocial/illegal behavior - or just me being intolerant?

Options

Comments

• ThursdaysChild
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    It's a nerve that every parent gets with their first child - no kidding ;).

There is no legal threshold for noise during the day. Some sources are wrong if for example, someone ran a noisy business in an area not zoned for it - but that is about it.
    What you can do is invest in soundproofing of your windows. Proper double glazed and soundproofed windows will make your house nice and quiet, even with noisiest of kids around. And it's not unreachably expensive to do either. Or maybe run a local initiative to get a park suitable for kids somewhere nearby, surely they must be some unused green patch around.

Because ultimately this is a problem with you, not the kids playing. Because where there are children, there is noise. And if they will stop jumping on cars/banging the bins, they will find some other activity which will be as noisy. It's just how it is.

I do have double glazed windows and yes they do shut out the noise but.. as we go towards the spring and summer should I have to keep windows shut because of excessive noise over the road.

There is a local park ~500m down the road!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's nothing you can do about noisy peasants. They are a law unto themselves and they laugh in the face of "decent people" who want quiet enjoyment of their homes.

They usually come from a noisy house/household/family and don't know that they're bl00dy loud and super annoying - and ALL the neighbours are seething inside their houses saying out loud "I HATE YOU ... WHY DON'T YOU ALL JUST GO OFF AND DIE .... hopefully quietly!!" ... we are you know.... aren't we.

We just want them to go off and die. End of. Simple.

The victim always has to "suck it up" I'm afraid.... it's wrong. If this stuff were sorted out with clear rules and actions .... it'd make everybody's lives great instead of just the lives of the selfish loud annoying feral bunch.

All the best.
  • ThursdaysChild
    ThursdaysChild Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2017 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    How big are the houses? Is the house they are living in suitable for the parents plus 5 or 6 children?

Most of the houses here are "3 bedroom", but the 3rd bedroom is more suited to be an office or baby's/young child's room.

Their house has been extended, but I get the feeling it is still overcrowded.

So I would say "no" as a gut feeling, but I'm not sure who could share with who. As in... could it technically be ok because we have X number of people of Y gender etc.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only way you are going to be able to encourage them to play in the park rather than the road is to make the road uninteresting as a playground. This might mean parking cars on it.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do have double glazed windows and yes they do shut out the noise but.. as we go towards the spring and summer should I have to keep windows shut because of excessive noise over the road.

There is a local park ~500m down the road!
    Then why would they play around the house? Why not just go over and have a friendly over-the-fence chat with the kids and ask why wouldn't they go plain the park where they have a lot of space?
  • amateur_house
    Options
    It's a nerve that every parent gets with their first child - no kidding ;).
    Because where there are children, there is noise. And if they will stop jumping on cars/banging the bins, they will find some other activity which will be as noisy. It's just how it is.

It may be like that where you live, I would find that intolerable!
    The road I live on has a large number of children - all 4 and 5 bed houses so understandably. Apart from the occasional game of football played in the street we have very little noise. There is a park a few hundred yards away and parents take their children to the park to play, as I used to when my children were young. Maybe we are lucky here, but I have yet to witness children jumping on car bonnets or banging bin lids.
  • ThursdaysChild
    Options
    Then why would they play around the house? Why not just go over and have a friendly over-the-fence chat with the kids and ask why wouldn't they go plain the park where they have a lot of space?

I suppose they can't be bothered, or, their parents won't let them out of their sight to that extent...
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Then pop across the street and have a chat with kids. Maybe the park is inadequate, or somehow else unusable. Because having a functioning park nearby is a way to keep most of the kids noise away from houses, an another way you can resolve the problem.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Then pop across the street and have a chat with kids. Maybe the park is inadequate, or somehow else unusable. Because having a functioning park nearby is a way to keep most of the kids noise away from houses, an another way you can resolve the problem.

I can see that going down well!!!:rotfl:
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    I can see that going down well!!!:rotfl:
    Why wouldn't it? So far OP indicated that the kids are polite, but noisy. It's everyone else who categorized them in some very nasty ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure