First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Losing the first kilo is what worked for me (treadmill and rowing machine) , I think for the first time in my life I now look at calories on food packaging and when a dear Aunt bought me a box of my favourite shortbread, normally I'd have demolished it, Instead my thought process was , I'm not putting that Kilo back into my body:).
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    Options
    ive started on the treadmill 60 secs fast speed about 9mph ..1minute rest x 5
    every oddish day next time make it 6 then next training session 7 and so on
    do the weight training too.
    While you can lose weight by lifting weights, this type of exercise tends to build muscle, which, depending on how much muscle mass you accumulate, can weigh more than fat. This means you could watch fat disappear from your face, belly, buttocks and legs, but may not see a difference on the scale.
    that why I started measuring myself.

that reminds me..
    p02cgjk0.jpg
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned the desirability of getting the rest of the family involved and supportive? If you only buy healthy food and don't have biscuits/crisps in the house and everyone is eating the same (just different amounts of it) then it is easier to avoid junk food.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • prosaver
    Options
    Scientists have studied the brains of alcoholics, smokers, and overeaters and have measured how their neurology—the structures of their brains and the
    flow of neurochemicals inside their skulls—changes as their cravings became ingrained. Particularly strong habits, wrote two researchers at the
    University of Michigan, produce addiction-like reactions so that “wanting evolves into obsessive craving” that can force our brains into autopilot, “even in
    the face of strong disincentives, including loss of reputation, job, home, and family.”
    However, these cravings don’t have complete authority over us. As the next chapter explains, there are mechanisms that can help us ignore the
    temptations. But to overpower the habit, we must recognize which craving is driving the behavior. If we’re not conscious of the anticipation, then we’re like
    the shoppers who wander, as if drawn by an unseen force, into Cinnabon.
    To understand the power of cravings in creating habits, consider how exercise habits emerge. In 2002 researchers at New Mexico State University
    wanted to understand why people habitually exercise.
    2.28 They studied 266 individuals, most of whom worked out at least three times a week. What they
    found was that many of them had started running or lifting weights almost on a whim, or because they suddenly had free time or wanted to deal with
    unexpected stresses in their lives. However, the reason they continued—why it became a habit—was because of a specific reward they started to crave.
    In one group, 92 percent of people said they habitually exercised because it made them “feel good”—they grew to expect and crave the endorphins and
    other neurochemicals a workout provided. In another group, 67 percent of people said that working out gave them a sense of “accomplishment”—they
    had come to crave a regular sense of triumph from tracking their performances, and that self-reward was enough to make the physical activity into a habit.
    If you want to start running each morning, it’s essential that you choose a simple cue (like always lacing up your sneakers before breakfast or leaving your
    If you want to start running each morning, it’s essential that you choose a simple cue (like always lacing up your sneakers before breakfast or leaving your
    running clothes next to your bed) and a clear reward (such as a midday treat, a sense of accomplishment from recording your miles, or the endorphin rush
    you get from a jog). But countless studies have shown that a cue and a reward, on their own, aren’t enough for a new habit to last. Only when your brain
    starts expecting the reward—craving the endorphins or sense of accomplishment—will it become automatic to lace up your jogging shoes each morning.
    The cue, in addition to triggering a routine, must also trigger a craving for the reward to come.
    “Let me ask you about a problem I have,” I said to Wolfram Schultz, the neuroscientist, after he explained to me how craving emerges. “I have a two-yearold,
    and when I’m home feeding him dinner—chicken nuggets and stuff like that—I’ll reach over and eat one myself without thinking about it. It’s a habit.
    And now I’m gaining weight.”
    “Everybody does that,” Schultz said. He has three children of his own, all adults now. When they were young, he would pick at their dinners unthinkingly. “In
    some ways,” he told me, “we’re like the monkeys. When we see the chicken or fries on the table, our brains begin anticipating that food, even if we’re not
    hungry. Our brains are craving them. Frankly, I don’t even like this kind of food, but suddenly, it’s hard to fight this urge. And as soon as I eat it, I feel this
    rush of pleasure as the craving is satisfied. It’s humiliating, but that’s how habits work.
    “I guess I should be thankful,” he said, “because the same process has let me create good habits. I work hard because I expect pride from a discovery. I
    exercise because I expect feeling good afterward. I just wish I could pick and choose better.
    http://solucaoperfeita.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/The-Power-of-HABIT.pdf
    think this one better once you get into it.
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • prosaver
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the desirability of getting the rest of the family involved and supportive? If you only buy healthy food and don't have biscuits/crisps in the house and everyone is eating the same (just different amounts of it) then it is easier to avoid junk food.

I say to my son
    '' ok Im jusy going to do the same as you and eat crap and don't get fit and die early or get cancer.. Im the same as you Id love to eat junk, but your suppose to have it as a treat, not everyday.''
    its a struggle ..but creating habits for him like giving him a light breakfast if we go to burger king.
    Then in a month, we'll be going to a healther place to eat
    also we go to the gym and have a healthy treat after.

.. small steps :beer:
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2017 at 1:17PM
    Options
    My mother is similar. While away for several months i lost 5 stone - she didn't even notice! in her head she has a picture of me as chubby and needing to lose weight regardless of the actual reality.

She also has no sense of personal space and will come round my house and clean (i live immaculately - but she's not happy until shes found something to reassure herself i am a slob - and will bang on about what ever she found gleefully- not unlike our mutual oven scenarios)

I personally feel she take a little delight in this, it makes her feel better about herself - i don't think she does it maliciously - i think this is all totaly subconscious - but she feels a thrill of gentle upper handedness when it reinforces her belief in me as a plump scruff when she gets to make a passive aggressive comment about 'being healthy' or how i could have cleaned up something better/faster/before it became an issue....

Odd we, who have similar mothers all struggle with weight....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    The thing that has helped me and my husband the most is MyFitnessPal coupled with a FitBit. The "secret" is to log absolutely everything you eat, from the milk in your tea to the ketchup on your chips.

:eek:

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine living like that for any length of time. Life's far too short!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    You have to make the exercise times non-negotiable in your head.

Even better is to choose a kind of exercise you actually enjoy.

I find running or the gym unbearably dull, but I play badminton and table tennis every week, I go on long walks in lovely places, and I go for a nice relaxing swim when I feel like it.

If you find something that gets your heart pumping but that also makes the time fly by and that you're sorry to stop when the class/session is up, you actually stand a chance at sticking with it long term! Even f you don't lose much weight, you're still getting all the benefits too.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    DevilsAdvocate1 Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2017 at 1:44PM
    Options
    For me, it wasn't my mum so much who was critical about my weight, it was my nana.

I remember when I was around 4 years old and I went on holiday with my nana and one of her great nieces. My nana took great delight in measuring my thighs with a tape measure before measuring her own and declaring that they were the same size. I rmember her laughing that her thighs were the same size as mine, and as I was only 4 it meant I was very overweight. This was the first time in my life that I noticed my body and considered that others looked at it negatively. Not a good lesson for a 4 year old.

I always thought of myself as fat and spent most of my teens and twenties on different diets. I'm a good 4 stone heavier now, but bizarrely I feel much better about myself and my weight it more stable. I've been a heavier than my current weight too, but I seem to have settled at 13 stone and a size 16.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure