PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Terrace VS. End of Terrace !!

Options

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go with the one nearer to shops & station - you can improve a house but you cannot so easily improve a location.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I would go with the one nearer to shops & station - you can improve a house but you cannot so easily improve a location.

Is 500m nearer shops and station really the biggest determinant of a better location? Could it, perhaps, be a sign of more noise...?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Is 500m nearer shops and station really the biggest determinant of a better location? Could it, perhaps, be a sign of more noise...?

I've lived in two places close to shops and transport and two places far away. There's no comparison.

If the transport's reliable and you get your food delivered it might not matter. The hassle of driving to shops/train and finding parking spaces would soon get to me.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    Mathias123 wrote: »
    We are in the process of buying an end terrace, with a south facing garden, so it's a very light house as you get a couple of extra windows. It also has a slightly bigger garden.

is this a good time to buy properties? impending brexit and market crash in two years??
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    is this a good time to buy properties? impending brexit and market crash in two years??

So are you fabulously wealthy with your ability to predict future stock market movements ? Have you shorted the footsie with your life savings ? And why two years ? If you mean because that's when Brexit happens, why hasn't it happened now since if most people thought it would crash in two years they get out now so it would crash now not in 2 years.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a car?
    Do you have 2 cars? Or are you likely to have 2 cars at any point.

Personally I'd be discounting the first house as we are a two car couple. Also I'd love 2 bathrooms as I frankly have no idea how one person can take 20 minutes on the toilet when another is busting for a wee after a long journey.

But they are both reasons I'd make my choice. And therefore maybe not relevant to you.

Also re: decoration. The first house won't look so good once they've scraped walls moving and removed picture leaving nails and sun faded bits. When you say the second needs things doing to it is that purely paint / wallpaper or does that potentially include wiring etc?

There is potentially wiggle room to knock a bit off each of the asking prices.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    I would be an advocate of the EoT house all the time but be aware that its also an extra wall to maintain - I know some from the area I was born had to have the end wall replaced / shored up / repaired - lets face it, they are generally quite old houses. Nothing wrong with being old per-se but they do have extra maintenance concerns that you need to be aware of.

The 2 parking spaces would do it for me too - parking on the road isnt ideal - even if you have not got two cars now, parking is not going to get any better so could be a selling point for you later on.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    i will go with option 2. but beware of higher electricity bill over the winter time.
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • luklik
    luklik Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update this thread in case anyone interested. I decided to go for the End of Terrace one.

This end of terrace has a garden next to it. (not pavement, nor noisy street)
    Although the EOT's size of house and garden is slightly smaller, more expensive and further from the station, it has 2 car parks, 2 toilets and potential to extend the dining area to the rear and potential to do loft conversion. I may go with the end of terrace.
    Also, I don't like to wait indefinitely (maybe until the beginning of next year) for the completion on notice of the mid terrace close to the station one.

Just a quick questions please.
    This house's fireplace has been removed. I kind of like it removed. However, some people said it will affect the resale price in the future. Most people like to have a fireplace, is this true?
  • hounsehunterftb
    Options
    luklik wrote: »
    Just to update this thread in case anyone interested. I decided to go for the End of Terrace one.

This end of terrace has a garden next to it. (not pavement, nor noisy street)
    Although the EOT's size of house and garden is slightly smaller, more expensive and further from the station, it has 2 car parks, 2 toilets and potential to extend the dining area to the rear and potential to do loft conversion. I may go with the end of terrace.
    Also, I don't like to wait indefinitely (maybe until the beginning of next year) for the completion on notice of the mid terrace close to the station one.

Just a quick questions please.
    This house's fireplace has been removed. I kind of like it removed. However, some people said it will affect the resale price in the future. Most people like to have a fireplace, is this true?

Thanks for the update. All the best with the sale

I really don't think it is that concerning. There are people who are fine without the fireplace in fact. And regardless, sale price scarcely would go down just for the lack of fireplace
    Home buying yet again!! Fingers crossed!!
    ===============================
    3 years ago ==> Completed!! PROUD homeowner from now on! :beer::beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure