PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help ideas for party food.

Options

Comments

• msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read Cider With Rosie's post #3, I'd like to be invited along for tea too please!
    MsB
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 March 2010 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Hi Alipops:hello:

Ok, sooooo many threads to link you to I'm not sure even where to start. Is it more a buffet kind of thing you are looking for?

Zip

Links

Retirement party food

OS party food

Failsafe dinner party puddings

Buffet style party for 15 on a budget

60s-70s style party snacks

Dinner party ideas
    (more sit down meal suggestions)

Ideas for cheap easy buffet food

£15 budget for mini buffet

buffet ideas for 100 people on a budget (can still steal recipes :D )

Christening buffet ideas

Buffet party for 17

Hope that helps. I'll merge your thread later, and update this post to confirm which one I have merged it to...

Thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Red_Squirrel_4
    Options
    Scones with jam and cream would add to the high tea feel, hth
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

I think this is probably:A my first post on this board so please be gentle;)

I am trying to finalise my plans for my DHs 40th party which will be next Saturday. Money is a little tight and we are in the middle of renovating an old house. We both work Monday to Friday on top of the renovating and have very little free time. So as you do in that situation, we thought lets have a big party and invite about 30 people over. Unfortunalty our house is miles from all of them so 20 of them are staying over :eek: Yes I am quite crazy.

I was kind of thinking of a selection of free range meat joints cooked and sliced (I am a veggie so needs to be free range and not too many meat options) along with roast veggies and cous cous and loads of different salady bits and rolls. Followed by some home made cakes for pudding:o

I dont know if this is the best plan of action and if anyone has any other ideas that might prove more sensible. Some of our new neighbours are coming and they are all quite posh which adds extra pressure.

Also does anyone have any ideas of things I could make in advance and store?

Thank you very much!
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    joints of meat can work out very expensive indeed, especially free-range - personally I'm not a veggie but if I went to a veggie's house I wouldn't expect meat. If you do want to do meat, a huge chilli would be cheaper as you can pad out the minced meat with soya mince, beans, veggies etc. or a great big sausage casserole (sausages and mince are on the cheaper end of the free range meat scale I find) or a ratatouille - rice or baked potatoes with them, and your nice salads and coleslaw. (I'd personally go with the baked pots if your oven will hold them - people tend to have less chilli etc. if its a topping on a potato rather than a plateful if that makes sense.)
    don't forget you'll also be making some kind of breakfast for 20 too!

Drink, good music and good friends - your neighbours will relax and love it.
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    ubamother wrote: »
    joints of meat can work out very expensive indeed, especially free-range - personally I'm not a veggie but if I went to a veggie's house I wouldn't expect meat. If you do want to do meat, a huge chilli would be cheaper as you can pad out the minced meat with soya mince, beans, veggies etc. or a great big sausage casserole (sausages and mince are on the cheaper end of the free range meat scale I find) or a ratatouille - rice or baked potatoes with them, and your nice salads and coleslaw. (I'd personally go with the baked pots if your oven will hold them - people tend to have less chilli etc. if its a topping on a potato rather than a plateful if that makes sense.)
    don't forget you'll also be making some kind of breakfast for 20 too!

Drink, good music and good friends - your neighbours will relax and love it.

I'd go for the chilli and jackets and rice. Easy and cheap, and you can freeze any leftovers. I like this recipe (but use just mince, not venison)

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/514504
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I agree with ubamother I would make a huge curry or chilli with lots of boiled rice you could do a vegetarian curry or a beef stew as well - plus jacket potatoes if someone wants them with the chilli. Then I would make a couple of gateau or even buy them from iceland. Don't try to impress too much.
    Why are you worried about what your neighbours think? Is it just because they are posh?
    Word to the wise hun do not try to keep up with the Jones's it will only get you into masses of debt.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Why not ask everyone to bring a plate of something? They'd probably (hopefully) all bring a bottle anyway. Maybe ask one to bring crisps, another to bring a pudding, yet another (who is staying over) some bacon for breakfast the next morning etc.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, normally I would have done that but about 10 of the people coming have come up every other weekend and thats what we always have.

Dont worry I am not normally a keeping up with the Jones person but it is for a special occasion so would like something a little different.

Thank you for your suggestions though. As I said earlier I do like a difficult life, but I have just finished off three lovely sets of hm lined curtains for my living room and a pair for a bedroom and I have only been sewing for about 6 weeks, but it does work out a lot cheaper that buying them, especially if your lovely mil lends your her machine :o
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    I would put in the email to ask everyone to bring a dish and a bottle, and a sleeping bag to stay over!

I have been to many parties like this and it works perfectly.

In Sainsburys they do mini cornish pasties which are great to heat up and serve.

Ask some people to bring blinis, dips, etc. Everything to be finger food. Then you just put out paper plates and napkins and put out an empty bin
    for everyone to throw away when they are finished

Don't even need music, with everyone talking.

Waitrose do a glass hire service which is free, and I am sure other supermarkets do too.

hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport