Second time lucky... debt free diary.

Options

Comments

• charlies_tribe
    Options
    Thank you PLS. She Was a meeting her friends there at 9 so shouldn't be too long before we know.

Today won't be a NSD. I need some medicine but tempted to order it as hate fetching it from work, having to ask people I have a coffee with for it.

Need to get through a mountain of washing today, forgot about the washing on the line last night and there has been a burning plastic smell all night, so will need to be rewashed as well as having an already full basket.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Fingers crossed for the results, I'm sure you're proud no matter what they are x
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 August 2017 at 12:27PM
    Options
    Best of luck to your daughter for her results.

DS1 did an apprenticeship: the money is very low but we did charge him a bit towards bills (not rent as his income wasn't enough but we felt he needed to know there is a cost to living, particularly electricity!) A few years later and he's climbed the slippery pole they call a career ladder to the point where he's spending a few months covering a management post. Apprenticeships can be a very good start!

Meanwhile I hope you've all been okay despite the tension of looming results and the thought of DD driving! (Been there, done that :D).

P.S. We divided the bills by the number of people in the house and charged him based on that.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • charlies_tribe
    charlies_tribe Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 August 2017 at 11:00PM
    Options
    Thank you. She has done better than she expected but has only got a 3 (D) in English language. She needed it for the course she wanted to do, she has got the 5 C grades needed (1 A, 2 B, 3 C's) but they wanted the English too (not sure eng lit will do). She has to register at college tomorrow so going to speak to their advisor first. I think she's still liking the idea of an apprenticeship. We have had tears though as she realised she will have to catch the bus, she has a major fear of catching the bus by herself but if she wants to go to college instead of sixth form it's something she will have to tackle at least until she can learn to drive (next summer, had the licence mainly for ID, she takes after me and doesn't look anywhere near her age and wants to go and watch IT with her dad in a couple of weeks).

Thank you Cherry fudge, thats a great way to look at it, might give her an idea of how much things are, and how much her straightners, ipod, xbox etc actually use by splitting the bills 7 ways.

Today was a NSD!
    DH card came today so have done the balance transfer, all this months payments have disappeared with the charges but hopefully will make the 10% mark next month.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    She's done well! Is there a possibility a remark might raise her English grade?

And might there be someone with whom she could travel to College on the bus?

• charlies_tribe
    Options
    Yes, if it's only a few marks short they are going to ask for a 're Mark (I didn't even know they could). Not sure how long it would take to hear from that. I think she was a bit gutted as got a B in the mocks.
    Luckily there is a lot of her year on our road, 1 of her best friends only a few doors away, so hopefully there will at least be someone she knows on the bus, the friend is taking a completely different course so he may not be in on the same days.

We were supposed to be up early and off to town shopping before she went to college, the little ones wanted to spend their Christmas/birthday money. I've only just woke up! The little 2 woke me as they got up, couldn't believe the time.
    Suppose I better get up and ready.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I think we woke up at a similar time! We must have needed our rest. :)

Good that your daughter might get that mixture of a friend to travel with and days when she has to brave it on her own - she will get stronger as she gets more used to it, though I do sympathise as I used to hate doing things like that when I was in my teens, and living in a country area meant I had to get the bus or train sometimes. Once I knew what I was doing it became just part of life instead of torture.

Happy shopping!

• charlies_tribe
    charlies_tribe Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 August 2017 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Finally got up and went to town. I rang and made an appointment with careers before we left. After a long chat with 2 different people she has decided on level 3 childcare along with her English GCSE. She has to go in next week for taster sessions and said she's going on her own (I know her friends are in on that day too).

Spending was £4.30 on parking. £3 on drinks (DH had walked the little ones down the canal while we were in college and they were hot) and £10 on DD Piercing for doing well. Little ones were so tired they just wanted to come home but we have to go back tomorrow anyway.
    Dog food and a bed as they've shredded it £53.
    Also had to buy DS bigger shirts for school but will return the others when I collect tomorrow. Struggling to get trousers to fit him.

Can't believe they will soon be back at school, the last 5 weeks have gone so quick.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sad that the school holidays are over :(
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    I know, I hate the thought of them going back to school. Little 2 need to try all uniform on tomorrow as I need to take some of DS's back so can sort it all together.

On the plus side I used Boom25 to order DS new shirts and just logged in to find I have won the cost back! So £18 towards the new shoes.

Going to be an expensive weekend as need to finish uniforms and shoes, DH dads birthday next week, usually a bottle of whiskey. DD best friend is 16 on sunday so she needs to get a present (she bought DD a Pandora ring!) and they are off out for the day but will come out of the gift funds.

Wages have gone in today (don't get touched until the first of the next month) and £29 over the budgeted amount so going to keep it in the house/emergency fund at least until tax credits are sorted. I've updated DD placement today for TC and sent off the child benefit letter so hopefully should all be sorted in the next few weeks and i'll know where I am.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback