Missed one day of Virgin Holiday due to Qatar Airways Delay

Options
I'm not sure whether this is a flight delay compensation thread, so posting here.

My girlfriend and I booked a holiday to the Maldives with Virgin Holidays. We were advised the flights would be through Qatar Airways via Doha.

At check in, we were told the inbound flight left late due to a technical fault and that our flight would be 1hr50m late leaving, which meant we would miss our connection (we had only been given 1hr45m in Doha). We were told that Qatar Airways would put us in a hotel overnight in Doha as the next flight from Doha to Maldives was the same time, but the following day :(

So after some messing with the luggage (there was some confusion because of the missed transfer) we eventually arrive in the Maldives and get transfer to our island/hotel.

Upon arrival we were told by the hotel that the water bungalow we had booked, wasn't available... which left us less than pleased since we were a day late!

They offered us an upgrade to a seaplane for the transfer back and also a massage... which wasnt acceptable, we wanted the room we had paid for. They then came back and offered us more upgrades, which we again refused initially until they admitted that it wasn't that it just wasn't ready, they literally didn't have a free one to put us in. They said we would have to stay in one of the basic rooms for the first night. When asked if this would have been 2 nights, had we arrived the day we were supposed to, they said yes. There was nothing we could do so we accepted their offer. They made us sign a form stating that we had no claims against them or the tour operator... so I signed but also noted it was signed under protest.

Now... the question is, how to approach getting a refund for missed days? I'm not one to try to get claim just for the sake of it, but as far as I'm concerned we didn't get what we paid Virgin for.

I have emailed Virgin to try to get a refund (not compensation, just a refund of what we paid for at least the first night) but they have said that we need to claim from Qatar Airways.

I fear that this will be a game of blame tennis, and want to know what the best course of action is.

My view, is that the contract was with Virgin and we paid for 9 nights in the Maldives in a certain standard of accommodation, whereas what we got was 1 night in Doha, 1 night in a substandard room and 7 nights in our chosen accommodation. Is this not a breach of contract?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Mark

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a Flight Delay Compensation board, and you really need to post on there (or get this thread moved over).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    someone more knowledgable should come along re the claim against the tour operator (Virgin) but have you looked into the compensation due for the delayed flight from Qatar. From the sounds of it you should be due €600 each )(although there may be a bit of a fight - have a look at the Flight delay board)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Virgin holidays should have not sold you a holiday with flights that had a high risk of you missing a day of your holiday.

Did Virgin sell you a dynamic flight+hotel package or a true package holiday?
    When this is known you can look at the appropriate regulations.

Any EU compensation will currently be very difficult to get because you didn't arrive 3 hours or more late at Doha. The CAA is currently looking at Emirates denials of similar claims, where the delay is beyond Dubai/ Doha/ Abu Dhabi, you may have to wait for the CAA's decision on this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Faldinio
    Faldinio Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Virgin holidays should have not sold you a holiday with flights that had a high risk of you missing a day of your holiday.

Did Virgin sell you a dynamic flight+hotel package or a true package holiday?
    When this is known you can look at the appropriate regulations.

It was a package holiday.

Also regarding moving the thread - The hotel giving us a lesser room for potentially 2 nights, hasn't got anything to do with the flight.
  • richardw
    Options
    Have a thorough read http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations you'll have to be very firm with Virgin.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You weren't sold a flight with a short connection time or one where there was a high risk of you missing your connection. Doha airport is very efficient. MCT for Qatar flights is 45mins.

You can write to VH about compensation for your lost day, but getting anything from them probably won't be easy. You've more chance with your downgraded room but that will no doubt be a lengthy process. Waiting for resort reports can take ages.
  • richardw
    edited 29 March 2017 at 5:23PM
    Options
    You weren't sold a flight with a short connection time or one where there was a high risk of you missing your connection. Doha airport is very efficient. MCT for Qatar flights is 45mins..

There was a high risk of missing one day of the holiday because the next flight from Doha to the Maldives was the next day. They were sold a package holiday and therefore the package travel regulations apply.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    The Package Travel Regulations certainly do apply and Virgin Holidays are on the hook for the failure of their supplier, the hotel, to give you what you booked and Virgin confirmed. You also appear to be entitled to a fixed level of compensation from the airline, Qatar, for the delayed arrival. This is 600 Euros per passenger and may go some way to making you feel slightly better! The delay is based on your arrival in the Maldives, not Doha, so contact Qatar in the UK to make the claim
  • Faldinio
    Faldinio Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Qatar have given a standard "we will look into it and get back to you within 4 weeks" response.

I emailed Virgin back with some quotes from the Package Holiday Regulations and mentioned about the risk of missing the transfer so hopefully they will have less slopey shoulders in their next response.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    You have two completely separate claims to make:
    - one against Qatar for the flight delay
    - one against Virgin Holidays for not supplying the room you booked. This is unrelated to the first one as the hotel confirmed your booked room wouldn't have been available even if you had arrived on time.

I'd keep them as separate as possible for clarity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure