Onwards and downwards...

Options

Comments

• retiredandskint
    Options
    :j:j:j I'm jumping (as much as my arthritic knees will allow) for joy for you. That's fantastic news. It is a lot of money so you're right to think carefully about what to do with it.

I know paying off the debt is so important but given the troubles you've had with your car, would now be the time to think about replacing it for something more reliable.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be the right decision.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you all lovely peeps :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    Options
    :j:j:j I'm jumping (as much as my arthritic knees will allow) for joy for you. That's fantastic news. It is a lot of money so you're right to think carefully about what to do with it.

I know paying off the debt is so important but given the troubles you've had with your car, would now be the time to think about replacing it for something more reliable.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be the right decision.

Don't damage your knees :D:D

It was my first thought, but I've just spent out more money on it, and it's MOT'd until July, so I'd like to keep it going until then if I can, and longer if possible! I like my car and so I'd like to keep it going as long as possible, just would also like to have the money there to replace it if I had to.
  • jwil
    Options
    Total debt:

1. [STRIKE]£2,301.00[/STRIKE]/ £2,288.00
    2. [STRIKE]£8,388.00[/STRIKE]/ £8,338.00
    3. [STRIKE]£6,892.00[/STRIKE]/ £6,878.00
    4. [STRIKE]£4,022.00[/STRIKE]/ £4,008.00
    5. [STRIKE]£2,380.00[/STRIKE]/£1,900.00
    6. [STRIKE]£4,586.00[/STRIKE]/£4,568.00
    7. [STRIKE]£4,813.00[/STRIKE]/£4,787.00
    8. [STRIKE]£1,175.00[/STRIKE]/£596.00

[STRIKE]£34,557[/STRIKE]/£33,363 = 3.46% paid
  • jwil
    Options
    Right, my current thinking is:

Clear debt number 8 :T

Make very low F&F on all of my debts that have been sold on which I think offhand is 3, 4, 6 and 7.

No 2 has been sold on and they have not responded to my CCA request, so is technically unenforceable too at the moment, but that is the one I have put the ppi claim on so will not do anything until that is sorted.

If my F&F's are accepted then :j but if not (and I would be surprised if they were), then either they counter a suitable amount, or I keep the money in savings until either they agree or it's there should I need to replace the car or anything else.

Everyone is getting token payments at the moments and there is no real chance of them getting more for at least 18 months when little miss gets her free hours, so I'm hoping that will make them look more favourably on it.

I can still think on it longer because I'll need to go self managed before I do anything so I'll probably sort out that this week now too. So if anyone has any thoughts on that or alternative suggestions, then do shout!
  • jwil
    Options
    I've sent off my letters to my creditors (bar the one I am going to pay off) to tell them I am going self managed. I've also sent off the F&F to my unenforceable debt.

I feel a bit anxious today, so I'm just going to take them one at a time. Not to mention the fact my car was playing up a bit again today :mad:
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on being so sensible and thinking things through. You r got a plan and you're doing wonderfully. Xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    That's great news :T

Paying off as much of the debt as possible sounds like the way to go. Good luck with however you decide to spend it :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    By the way, two of my debts hadn't been sold on but they still accepted a 50% full and final offer. Just worth bearing in mind.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • jwil
    Options
    missymoo81 wrote: »
    Well done on being so sensible and thinking things through. You r got a plan and you're doing wonderfully. Xx

Thank you Missy :)
    That's great news :T

Paying off as much of the debt as possible sounds like the way to go. Good luck with however you decide to spend it :)

Thank you :)
    By the way, two of my debts hadn't been sold on but they still accepted a 50% full and final offer. Just worth bearing in mind.

That's interesting, I didn't think they were likely to accept them without being sold on. I'll bear that in mind for the future, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport