MID and Police

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    akkers wrote: »
    My point is that if an ethnic person gets stopped for showing uninsured on MID then he will have a tough time convincing some policemen that he is insured even if he produces docs.Sounds untrue; but thats the harsh reality out there.

Did I forget we all live in total harmony and there is no racism anywhere; everyone gets treated equally. I must have been driving in an alternate universe for the last 40yrs.

If you can show actual racism, i'll support you in challenging it.

If you are just saying 'the police are racist' then that is simply not true.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    My point is that if an ethnic person gets stopped for showing uninsured on MID then he will have a tough time convincing some policemen that he is insured even if he produces docs.Sounds untrue; but thats the harsh reality out there.

Did I forget we all live in total harmony and there is no racism anywhere; everyone gets treated equally. I must have been driving in an alternate universe for the last 40yrs.

And I don't suppose the same happens when the police officer is also an "ethnic person"?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    If you can show actual racism, i'll support you in challenging it.

If you are just saying 'the police are racist' then that is simply not true.

My friends and colleagues certainly receive racism at the hands of the police, it may not be intentional on the part of the police but frequently are treated in a different way than I am by the police
  • Guest101
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    My friends and colleagues certainly receive racism at the hands of the police, it may not be intentional on the part of the police but frequently are treated in a different way than I am by the police

Can you give an example?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Racism exists but in my experience pre-emptive attitude exists even more and the right/wrong attitude often determines the outcome.

I got stopped a couple of years ago - late at night and insurance policy had been cocked up by insurer so it showed right car but a reg number belonging to another make/model (actually a previous car of mine). 5 mins at the roadside with failed phone calls to insurer got me a HORT1 to produce in 7 days. No drama (although a fair amount of sweating on my side) but had my attitude been different I could easily anticipated walking home that evening
  • dacouch
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Can you give an example?

Ignoring that my friends and colleagues who are black are constantly stopped by the police for no apparent reason.

The house I share was recently raided by the police at 6am thanks to the Landlord's dodgy nephew giving our address as where he lives (He does not live here).

About ten police raided the house and searched our rooms until they realised they had beed lied to by the nephew.

My house mate who happens to be black works for google in a highly sensitive job which requires a lot of back ground checking was handcuffed by the police as was my other housemate who is a black female and a social worker. I as a white male was not hand cuffed.

My housemates were (Understandably) very upset when we chatted after the raid and they realised I was not hand cuffed when they were
  • Guest101
    Options
    Ignoring that my friends and colleagues who are black are constantly stopped by the police for no apparent reason. - Police don't need a reason to stop a vehicle. But that aside if it is constant then ofcourse they can complain to the police, assuming their driving is impeccable

The house I share was recently raided by the police at 6am thanks to the Landlord's dodgy nephew giving our address as where he lives (He does not live here). - That happens.

About ten police raided the house and searched our rooms until they realised they had beed lied to by the nephew. - Fair enough, they're executing a warrant.

My house mate who happens to be black works for google in a highly sensitive job which requires a lot of back ground checking was handcuffed by the police as was my other housemate who is a black female and a social worker. I as a white male was not hand cuffed. - That's hardly a case for racism. There could literally be a hundred reasons why that might happen. Is the nephew black?

My housemates were (Understandably) very upset when we chatted after the raid and they realised I was not hand cuffed when they were

I think there could be a case for a complaint but ultimately the police don't have to hand cuff everyone
  • dacouch
    Options
    No the nephew is not black and he is obviously male so there can be no excuse that they believed my female black house mate was the nephew
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I've been driving for 50 years and have never been stopped by the police for any reason. I've never heard of any of my friends acquaintances or colleagues being stopped for having no insurance. Could you perhaps be moving in the wrong circles?

Just a quick correction. I should have written "never been stopped for NO reason".

I have been stopped on a number of occasions for the very good reason that I was speeding.
  • Guest101
    Options
    No the nephew is not black and he is obviously male so there can be no excuse that they believed my female black house mate was the nephew

Obviously I wasn't there, and my first thought would be they would handcuff anyone they suspected of being the nephew.

Like I say I don't know if there was racism. It's possible, or it's subconscious bias, or whatever.

It may be worth a complaint, or it may not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure