Options

Comments

• Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2017 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Sod that. I think he's looking for wife number 2! Ok I've said it!

judi: to quote your quote 'holy crap' :rotfl:.

His texts/seeing him often causes sleepless nights and worry about what to say or do, so nice to laugh about it for once.

Who knows really? When I was a kid I always thought my friend's parents were really happy and good together, they were always loved up. Turns out the husband was having an affair:eek:. You just dont know what goes on it people's minds or behind closed doors.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Max: in my culture, we give mourners a little 'gift'. I put 'gift' in inverted commas because I'm not sure what the term is in English or if, indeed, there is an equivalent in English. It's our duty as family members of the deceased to do this. Our thinking/philosophy/cultural belief behind this is if people have come to pay their respects, we respect them back.

Update: I have expressed the above to OH. He thinks the guy is in his 80s so not going to be a stalker, I didn't tell him what markdabby said, maybe I should have just lonely.

OH is going to come to lunch with me. If he mentions meeting up again, we're going to say we're really busy for next few months.

Now it's a question of timing and when to meet up.

Why are you even considering doing this? It just prolongs the agony for you. itsanne I think it was who said in effect, just say no thanks, rip the plaster off quickly, stings at first.....
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Sunny_Saver
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:38AM
    Options
    :D Spirit!

Back to what judi said : wouldnt it be funny if he texts a few months later to say, I only wanted to meet up to introduce you to my third wife ;). Wife No 2 was 101.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sunny, this man makes you very uncomfortable. He follows you even into the sauna! His behaviour is verging on harassment/stalking and now we hear the stress is affecting your sleep too. Why on earth do you ever want to meet with him again?

We know he's not lonely. (Not that it would be your problem anyway). If anything, he sounds slightly over confident socially. You will make things harder for yourself if you agree to see him at all. Any interaction is going to drag this out. And probably wear you down too.

My advice is to cut all contact with him. If he pesters you to meet up, just say 'No, I don't want to'. Nothing else. Any excuses such as 'too busy' will just create opportunities for him to find a way to persuade you. Ignore his calls/texts or block his number. If he follows you in the street, just keep walking.
  • spirit
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Sunny, this man makes you very uncomfortable. He follows you even into the sauna! His behaviour is verging on harassment/stalking and now we hear the stress is affecting your sleep too. Why on earth do you ever want to meet with him again?

We know he's not lonely. (Not that it would be your problem anyway). If anything, he sounds slightly over confident socially. You will make things harder for yourself if you agree to see him at all. Any interaction is going to drag this out. And probably wear you down too.

My advice is to cut all contact with him. If he pesters you to meet up, just say 'No, I don't want to'. Nothing else. Any excuses such as 'too busy' will just create opportunities for him to find a way to persuade you. Ignore his calls/texts or block his number. If he follows you in the street, just keep walking.

^^^^^^^ this
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The guy sounds like a creep! Would you bother with him if he wasn't the widower of your friend?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Sunny_Saver
    edited 21 March 2017 at 10:35AM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    The guy sounds like a creep! Would you bother with him if he wasn't the widower of your friend?

Maybe creep is too harsh, but ripplyuk's description of over confident socially sounds perfect. He would happily to talk to anyone and everyone.

No. If I knew him from going to the same pool as him I'd just say hello. At least that's what I think - the age gap is quite significant, so I doubt if we'd be friends or go out. A brief chat at most. Oh, and thinking about it, and I don't mean to sound sexist, I doubt if I would go out socially with a man that age if I didn't know his wife or a different background to knowing him.

I think you can get away with things being old. I told my husband and mother my concerns. They said he's 80 something, he wouldn't stalk you, he just wants attention and people to talk to all the time. So does that mean that if you are 80 something people don't suspect you of anything anymore?

OH did say if it bothers you, join a new gym. It's more money, but if it makes me more comfortable then do that.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • spirit
    Options
    Maybe creep is too harsh, but ripplyuk's description of over confident socially sounds perfect. He would happily to talk to anyone and everyone.

No. If I knew him from going to the same pool as him I'd just say hello. At least that's what I think - the age gap is quite significant, so I doubt if we'd be friends or go out. A brief chat at most. Oh, and thinking about it, and I don't mean to sound sexist, I doubt if I would go out socially with a man that age if I didn't know his wife or a different background to knowing him.

I think you can get away with things being old. I told my husband and mother my concerns. They said he's 80 something, he wouldn't stalk you, he just wants attention and people to talk to all the time. So does that mean that if you are 80 something people don't suspect you of anything anymore?

OH did say if it bothers you, join a new gym. It's more money, but if it makes me more comfortable then do that.

That doesn't really solve the issue of his texts/phone calls and stalker-ish street behaviour does it.

I still think, tackle this head on. It only needs doing once and you can all get on with your lives.

You don't have to feel you are being rude, if you say it in the right way.
  • Sunny_Saver
    edited 21 March 2017 at 10:51AM
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    That doesn't really solve the issue of his texts/phone calls and stalker-ish street behaviour does it.

No, but sometimes he leave me alone for a few months, when I've said 'yeah busy at the moment, will contact when free'.
    I still think, tackle this head on. It only needs doing once and you can all get on with your lives.
    I agree, just easier said than done.
    You don't have to feel you are being rude, if you say it in the right way.

LOL, I think that was my original question in post 1. It's just that we got sidetracked into discussing other things :).

I confess, I'm a wuss. I'd probably tell someone else the same advice, but for me to do it, it's like 'argh'.

I think my problem on how to tell him is:
    1. I don't know what to say;
    2. He's my friend's widow; and
    3. He's old.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    While it's thoughtful of your husband to suggest joining a new gym, that's just sweeping everything under the carpet while it's all still there. You'd have one place you weren't constantly looking over your shoulder - for now. Everything else would still cause the same concern.

If your husband recognises how uncomfortable this man makes you feel enough to suggest a new gym, I don't understand why he's then happy for you to have lunch with him. From the man's perspective, it's showing him that if he keeps asking he'll eventually get what he wants. You could end up exacerbating the problem rather than alleviating it.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts