PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

100 interesting ways to use potatoes !

Options

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has posted this recipe yet as I have only read through to page two but I remember it as being kind of tasty, depending who made it !

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/potato-apple-cake/

It's quite simply a round of potato bread, sliced apples and sugar in the middle, then more potato bread on top, then cooked on a griddle. Like an apple pie, but with potato bread instead of pastry. Helpful if you are cutting down on fat as there wouldn't be all the fat in the pastry.

Can be delicious if made by the right hands, or not, as the case may be!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Love potatoes!
    Tomorrow lunch will be the extra new potatoes left from today sliced and fried with onions and peppers with an egg and cheese for Spanish omelette.
    If I have left over mash I put it on a tin tray and brown under the grill, so it's crispy like the top of a shepherds pie. We had this as kids with peas., no meat ! We loved it and it always takes me back.
    If you cook jacket pots and scoop the mash out for tea one night the night after crisp up the skins and have with dips.
    I love boulangerre pots and if you put pastry on top it's a butter pie!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 March 2017 at 9:39AM
    Options
    mashed pots in a chocolate cake -

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162426/moist-potato-chocolate-cake/

I haven't used this recipe before but have made a whole cake from another one (which I can't find) couldn't taste the spuds, was really moist but because I used less sugar than stated, think it may have affected the feel of it.

Like another poster, have used mashed pots in pastry too - v successfully. Find it has a bit more substance to it, bit like suet pastry?
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya

Try Dum Aloo - not being rude to any person of Indian origin if I have spelt this wrong but I was told about this recipe from an Indian friend of mine!

1lb potatoes diced into thumb sized pices
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 desert spoon Patak's garam massala paste (not the sauce!) or any curry powder etc that you usually use
    1 desert spoon tomato puree
    1/3 block of coconut milk

Method
    1) saute onions until soft
    2) add garlic and paste and tomato puree
    3) Water to cover
    4) simmer for 20 mins until potatoes are done
    5) add coconut block KEEP AN EYE ON IT so it thickens but does not catch and burn.
    6) Serve with rice and salad.

Apologies to those that might have a more authentic recipe!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Oh bless you, Katkin - does that include sweet potatoes? I've previously given up white potatoes for 2 months on a strict diet but did allow sweet potatoes. My favourite was a rosti type thing as part of a quick dinner or weekend brunch. I've given up lie ins for lent this year, easier than potatoes ;)
    I tried Sarah Wilson's parsnip rosti recipe when I quit sugar. It had its merits but I found it far too sweet! (Sorry not a spud recipe, for thread purists :D).
    Try Dum Aloo - not being rude to any person of Indian origin if I have spelt this wrong but I was told about this recipe from an Indian friend of mine!
    Its not offensive, the dum refers to whole small potatoes (think new size) that cook quickly in their own steam in a sealed pot. The vessel is actually sealed with chappati dough, it you've been given an excellent cheat's recipe, though!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just to update, the "make in advance" chips worked splendidly - thanks all!
    Also a big thank you to LurcherWalker for the potato cake recipe. I made and froze a batch successfully, DH found them in the freezer, marched up to me with them in his hand and asked "what are these, and when are we eating them?!" with a big smile on his face. He loves them :)
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

I make these often for a change from plain new potatoes or roasts. They look good too. To share a tip I picked up the other day: I put the raw potato on a spoon (dessert spoon was ideal for a new potato) when cutting the slices. That way it'll stop your knife cutting right through.

Apologies if anyone has posted dauphinoise potatoes but I've not read it. My French niece gave me her recipe which is foolproof as sometimes it's hard to get the potatoes to cook from raw. Boil the potatoes until firm but not soft when tested with a knife. Leave to cool then peel off skins. Mix a tub of low fat crème fraiche with some garlic ( I use a couple of tsps. of Lazy), pepper and a crumbled chicken stock cube. Heat very gently and keep stirring until stock cube is dissolved. Slice potatoes reasonably thinly and layer in an ovenproof dish. I add some sauce at each layer as it works better than putting it on top and hoping it sinks through. Put grated cheese on top or if you like it very cheesy add some to each layer. I sometimes put sliced tomato on top too. If the sauce looks to be running out add a splash of milk to thin it down a bit. Cook in a medium (200 ish) oven for 30 to 45 mins.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya VfM4meplse

I did not know how the recipe got its name - very interesting thanks!:A
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    mashed pots in a chocolate cake -

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162426/moist-potato-chocolate-cake/

I haven't used this recipe before but have made a whole cake from another one (which I can't find) couldn't taste the spuds, was really moist but because I used less sugar than stated, think it may have affected the feel of it.

Like another poster, have used mashed pots in pastry too - v successfully. Find it has a bit more substance to it, bit like suet pastry?

And a lemon drizzle cake - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5870/glutenfree-lemon-drizzle-cake
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can use leftover roast potatoes (haha who has leftover roast potatoes???) to make a fantastic gnocchi.

Hugh FW did an excellent recipe, but it's not online anywhere. Just change the mash or baked potatoes or roasties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure