PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

100 interesting ways to use potatoes !

Options

Comments

• cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drink and posting on the internet is never a good idea :cool:

I really liked Mary Berry's recipe for bacon rossti with fried eggs but when it came down to making it, it seemed easier to just have bacon and eggs. Like the sound of potato and cheese balls.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • MotheroftheKid
    Options
    Not really using leftover cooked potatoes, but what I do when I buy a bag of potatoes and I know I'm not going to use them before they start sprouting is cook them all as jacket potatoes, when cooked, cut into wedges, open freeze, then bag up for "frozen wedges". Cook them as frozen chips whenever required.
  • lillibet_dripping
    Options
    :DIsn't vodka made from potatoes?
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Potato ladies - I feel I ought to know this, but I call upon your combined wisdom... if I were to peel and chop potatoes tomorrow evening for cooking on Friday evening, can I coat them in oil to stop them from browning, or will only putting them in water suffice?

Have given up the purchasing of all potato products as we now get sacks of spuds from the farm shop at stupidly low prices (£2 for 12.5kg anyone? :)) - and Friday night dinner involves homemade chips, but I'm pretty time poor and starving on a Friday by the time I'm home! I was hoping I could have them oven ready tomorrow night by coating them in a teaspoon of oil and garlic granules tomorrow to speed things up on Friday.
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Potato ladies - I feel I ought to know this, but I call upon your combined wisdom... if I were to peel and chop potatoes tomorrow evening for cooking on Friday evening, can I coat them in oil to stop them from browning, or will only putting them in water suffice?

Have given up the purchasing of all potato products as we now get sacks of spuds from the farm shop at stupidly low prices (£2 for 12.5kg anyone? :)) - and Friday night dinner involves homemade chips, but I'm pretty time poor and starving on a Friday by the time I'm home! I was hoping I could have them oven ready tomorrow night by coating them in a teaspoon of oil and garlic granules tomorrow to speed things up on Friday.
    I think it will work if you par boil the spuds (which will also speed up Friday night's dinner) and make sure they are dry before adding the coating.

I haven't bought potatoes for ages, am pretty shocked by the price of them now. £2 for 12.5kg is a bargain for anyone with a big family and space to store. My parents used to buy a sack and send us kids into the garage whenever we needed some. I used to be terrified of coming across a spider in the sack :o

Try aloo paratha - a bit like Irish potato bread, but much tastier! It's relatively quick to prepare if you have leftover boiled potatoes and know what you are doing.

ETA: resolves to make some for Mother's Day brunch.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, you could peel/chop them and leave in water till needed. Just remember to rinse thoroughly to get rid of the starch and pat dry before adding oil/flavourings.

Wish I could get spuds for such a good price!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Bumblebear
    Options
    Thank you VFM and Yorks :) I will let you know if it works!

I must admit, these ones were only £2 as they were starting to sprout. I have de-sprouted all of them, put them somewhere cool and dark, and trying to use them up quickly. Accepting that a couple may go direct to compost. Off to try MrsLurcherWalker's potato cakes to freeze as well. We've previously got 25kg for £9, had to chuck a few in the composting but still incredible value. DH is a complete convert; I keep ours in the shed and send him out to bring in a week's supply at a time (because I'm petrified of spiders too!). The 25kg lasted us from September to March - and that was deliberately eating tatty heavy meals. It's just the two of us (actually, just me most of the week as DH is posted to the other side of the country during the week).
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm torturing myself reading thread as I've given up potatoes for lent. Surprised I've stuck to it so far.

Tend to buy little quantities when needed, though I realise it's not the cheapest way to do it, it enables me to keep them on topic haha as in planned so I don't eat too many too often.

Still it's lovely to read and research new ideas. After Easter I'll be eating lots of potatoes I reckon!

Not made Boulangere potatoes in ages, really easy and good for not needing anything fancy, just stock, garlic, herbs you have and onions. They make a meal on their own made with bits and bobs needing used up like bacon, peppers and mushrooms etc. Add eggs for the last 10-15 mins of baking for a one dish meal.

Potato bravas is another favourite that is good with eggs added on top. I've also added salmon fillets on bravas and baked.
  • Bumblebear
    Options
    Oh bless you, Katkin - does that include sweet potatoes? I've previously given up white potatoes for 2 months on a strict diet but did allow sweet potatoes. My favourite was a rosti type thing as part of a quick dinner or weekend brunch. I've given up lie ins for lent this year, easier than potatoes ;)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Oh bless you, Katkin - does that include sweet potatoes? I've previously given up white potatoes for 2 months on a strict diet but did allow sweet potatoes. My favourite was a rosti type thing as part of a quick dinner or weekend brunch. I've given up lie ins for lent this year, easier than potatoes ;)

Bumblebear is a great name! :) I'm sure you can exchange sweet potatoes for most potato recipes. They will be different but if you can't eat the White ones, better than nothing.

Giving up lie ins must be tough :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport