PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

100 interesting ways to use potatoes !

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And an idea from my Omi (gran) from war times...which Mum has done in modern times....

This is an interesting way to use up the potato skins you might have left from the other recipes I have posted here!!!!

Obviously, you want the skins to have been washed/scrubbed clean before peeling!

So...potato skin 'cookies.........

Oh my goodness! What a dilemma! As a keen veggie grower and composter I'm now going to be faced with a conflicting dilemma every time I'm faced with a sink full of potato peelings! But I must give this one a try.
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    potatoes pizza, slice potatoes thinly layer on a pizza tray over lapping slightly to form pizza base brush with oil and scatter chopped garlic bake for about 20 mins at gas 6 until potatoes are soft.

Then treat as a normal pizza base, I layer mine with tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn and cheese but you can use any pizza topping bake unto cooked.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't forget you can scrub potato skins, dry and bake to make "crisps".

Cranks had a recipe for Homity pie which was diced, boiled potato mixed with a little chopped and softened onion and garlic, mixed with a little milk to bind, spooned into a large pie tin or small individual ones that had been lined with shortcrust pastry and a little grated cheese on top, then baked. Nice hot or cold and great for a picnic or buffet.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They've been the backbone of my food for decades.... there's no end to what you could do, so, to avoid typing 100 paragraphs ..... I'll sit this one out and chirp in here and there as it progresses.
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tartiflette. A delicious French recipe mainly involving potatoes, cheese and wine! All the good stuff then.

About 1kg waxy potatoes
    bacon lardons or bacon bits
    400g cheese (Reblochon for the traditional version, I used some cheddar)
    Red onion
    250ml dry white wine
    garlic
    salt & pepper

Parboil potatoes, let cool and cut into chunks. In a pan fry the onions and bacon and try not to eat it. Add the garlic and half of the wine. (When I cook with wine I sometimes like to add it to the food!). Reduce the liquid content by simmering for a bit. Put half of the potates in a buttered ovenproof dish, Scatter half the bacon/onion mix on along with half the cheese (grated/cut into small pieces) Season to taste, add rest of potato with bacon/onion mix and cheese. Bung into oven for 30-40mins at GM5/6.

You can make this extra indulgent by using cream fraiche/double cream and milk. MMmmm
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What about Scottish macaroons :) That sweet treat made with tatties :rotfl:

http://madaboutmacarons.com/2014/12/scottish-macaroon-bar-snowballs/
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    Potato dumplings!

500g potatoes
    a good pinch salt
    150g cornflour
    1/8 litre VERY hot milk
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    (plus optional 'filling' see end of recipe)

Boil potatoes in their skins, peel whilst still warm and mash/sieve the flesh. Mix the flesh with the salt and the cornflour. Stir in the milk (it does need to be hot!) Leave the mixture until it cools (it will also thicken). Add the baking powder. With floured hands form into dumplings. Cook in boiled water - when ready they rise to the top...serve Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Make the above then fry a chopped onion to soft add a tin chopped tomato and drop in the potato dumplings cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the dumplings are cooked.

Put in an oven proof dish sprinkle grated cheese over the top and grill to cheese is melted serve with a crispy salad.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    duchesse potatoes they freeze quite well .I seem to remember years ago making something at housecraft (now there is an old-fashioned name for cooking at school) called potato cheese balls which I think were round balls of mash dipped in seasoned flour, egg, and grated very hard cheese (possibly parmesan ) and then cooked on a roasting tray in the oven Tasted lovely as well, I'll have to scour the internet to see if I can find the recip
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I love duchesse potatoes, only learned how to make them recently and love doing them :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i used to organise 'Forties Evenings' for church 'dos'. I duplicated lots of wartime recipes and everyone who came had to choose a recipe to make and bring the result with them. These offerings formed the food part of the evening.

My contribution was always something made with Potato Pastry, jam tarts, sausage rolls, mock something flan..........
    The pastry always went down well.

2 RECIPES

1) 6oz SR flour, with 2oz cooking fat rubbed in. Add 2oz grated, raw potato, mix well and bind with a little water. Roll out and use as ordinary shortcrust pastry.

2) Rub 11/2 - 2oz cooking fat into 4oz SR flour. Add 4oz smooth mashed potato, mix thoroughly and use a little water to bind. Roll out and use as shortcrust pastry.

And don't forget your gas mask!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business