Barclays "Suspend"​ My Life, Stranding me in Europe. The Dark Side Of Working Remote

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Several eggs, but all in one Barclays basket.
    Eggsactly. But I gave up when I saw how long the OP was too.
  • Kodogo
    Kodogo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Lol. You all have lightened a somewhat desperate mood. However unfortunately it is not made up. Thanks for the positivity however. ;]
  • Kodogo
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I can't be bothered to waste my time reading what in all probability is a made up story, but on the point above, were all of these accounts with the same bank? If so then your eggs were indeed all in one basket.
    A made up story...with video, pdf transcript and screenshot documentary on LinkedIN. Sounds feasible. The moral of the story is, Barclays are Ba**ards and apparently withdrawing large sums of my own money is frowned about.
    Several eggs, but all in one Barclays basket.
    Naivety. I agree; but hell as least Citibank and the states welcome my business with open arms.
    Biggles wrote: »
    Eggsactly. But I gave up when I saw how long the OP was too.

I apologise; I'm a Marketer; we like to dramatise a story. ;]
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kodogo wrote: »
    I thought marketers knew when to cut to the chase? There's no drama when you get bored halfway through ;-)
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Kodogo wrote: »
    A made up story...with video, pdf transcript and screenshot documentary on LinkedIN. Sounds feasible. The moral of the story is, Barclays are Ba**ards and apparently withdrawing large sums of my own money is frowned about.

Naivety. I agree; but hell as least Citibank and the states welcome my business with open arms.

I suspect Barclays are in a "money laundering paranoia" zone made much worse by the actions of US authorities against banks.

You're being inconvenienced short term. But if they get it wrong by doing nothing in the eyes of the Yanks they're fair game for fines in the $billions.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's no comfort but it is not only Barclays Bank which can suspend accounts in this way.

It is best to have banking facilities with more than one provider as it is unlikely that problems would arise with all of your banks simultaneously.
  • Kodogo
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I thought marketers knew when to cut to the chase? There's no drama when you get bored halfway through ;-)
    Haha. I know; but the financial ombudsman didn't request half a story; I'd rather it be 'complete'.
    I suspect Barclays are in a "money laundering paranoia" zone made much worse by the actions of US authorities against banks.

You're being inconvenienced short term. But if they get it wrong by doing nothing in the eyes of the Yanks they're fair game for fines in the $billions.

I know. Security is one aspect; but being left in limbo with no explanation or clause is just ridiculous. They just expect me to take a sit and wait patiently until they take their head out of their !!! and release my account; which is technically being held captive.
    xylophone wrote: »
    It's no comfort but it is not only Barclays Bank which can suspend accounts in this way.

It is best to have banking facilities with more than one provider as it is unlikely that problems would arise with all of your banks simultaneously.

I have learnt my lesson. I will be more cautious in future. Thank you.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2017 at 10:38AM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

But I'm sure someone, somewhere, will be working on this one. No doubt a database would be the solution, whereby banks could exchange such info and lock customers out of all facilities. I've even got a name for it - the PBE - Paranoid Banking Exchange.

This is yet another example of the lack of proper regulation, or perhaps too much regulation of the wrong kind, that works against customers' interests. Deprivation of funds and facilities like this should not be permitted.

OP - when all is sorted out, make sure you kick the chumps at Barclays into touch. Tell them why, and rubbish their name whenever you can.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Deprivation of funds and facilities like this should not be permitted
    As you well know, the law positively encourages it where suspicious activity takes place.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a nightmare!

If you use Twitter or Facebook, you should target them there, that will get people on the case.

Companies hate to be seen to be providing a bad service in public, so that may help get a quicker resolution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure