Bidding for a car on Ebay

Options

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder whether that's why they are offering to deliver it if I bought it?!

'It looks terrific' doesn't really mean much when there is no history, no test drive, and the owner isn't even on the log book or at that address. I also think with Ebay you can't easily walk away after winning a bid - not without getting a bad buyer rating anyway.

It's obvious he is a dealer masquerading as a private seller and that's just sharp practice.

Actually, I think he's in the car spraying business. If you have a look at his selling history, he sold a car recently that he'd obviously resprayed. (He said as much.)

He also has a 100% score on ebay.

If you walked away from an ebay purchase because the car is not as described, there'd be no come-back. Also, I don't see how you could expect to test-drive the car if it's not taxed and insured?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I could have got insurance for a test drive but they haven't taxed it. It's normal to be able to test drive a car. The point is I made a journey on 2 buses wasting my time because there was insufficient information to help me make a decision. They are the seller why should I stick my neck out?! They should have more manners. Is I was selling I'd have information ready.
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    I could have got insurance for a test drive but they haven't taxed it. It's normal to be able to test drive a car. The point is I made a journey on 2 buses wasting my time because there was insufficient information to help me make a decision. They are the seller why should I stick my neck out?! They should have more manners. Is I was selling I'd have information ready.

If something was that important to you, you could have asked before you set off.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I understand why you are saying this, and you certainly don't have any obligation to explain yourself to anyone here.

You may have to pay a load more to get a car that ticks all the boxes, though.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    I bid & won car on ebay,

When I went to collect, test drove, car was making racket, I walked away. Seller was annoyed saying I should take it, you bid to buy.
    I walked away, people will take the pee.

You really should see & hear the car running.

If you're going to buy with address discrepancy, I'd ask to see other proofs of ID & address.

if you want to look at and try out the car with a test drive then you should do all that prior to the auction end

makes you just another time waster that does not understand what an auction is you bid to buy not bid to try
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    force_ten wrote: »
    if you want to look at and try out the car with a test drive then you should do all that prior to the auction end

makes you just another time waster that does not understand what an auction is you bid to buy not bid to try

If it's not as described you are perfectly entitled to walk away.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was curious so looked the car up. I would definitely take a chance on it for a good price. I don't think he is a dealer the previous car sold has pictures of it being sprayed, dealers do not have these especially for a car being sold for spares or repairs.

The listing even explains that the form has not even been sent off, they are not trying to hide anything.

AliceBanned, just because you have decided you don't want it doesn't make you wrong or the fact I would go for it, me right. Different people have different expectations. Good Luck in your search I hope you find something soon.
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    The listing even explains that the form has not even been sent off, they are not trying to hide anything.

The form (V5C) they have is not in their name, only a dealer would have that, not a private seller.
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    The form (V5C) they have is not in their name, only a dealer would have that, not a private seller.

Only a dealer?
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    Only a dealer?

Yes, if the vehicle was transferred to the trade. All the buyer would have is the green 'New Keeper Supplement' from it, only a trader would have the rest of the V5C.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure