Bidding for a car on Ebay

Options
Hi I just viewed a Fiesta that is on Ebay. The man who is selling it said he wouldn't be in but his wife would be there. Everything seems fine, nice neighbourhood, nice lady, car looks fine etc etc and it is only £250 at the moment with 61k on the clock. It is year 2000 and I just need something to last me a few months.

I asked her for the documents and although they are in the pic on the website she didn't have them. I should have looked in the glove box. She did have the V5 but the part to send away was torn off. The advert did say he bought it for his teenage son who decided he didn't want it. It means I am buying it from a different name and address to that where I saw it, and to that on Ebay. She said he tore the other part off to send away before his son said he didn't want the car (she said their son is autistic).

Not sure what to do. I like the car - oh could only turn the engine and not drive it as it is not taxed and anyway i'm not insured - and I've done initial hpi checks using reg plate only and all shows up fine. But just that anomaly with the V5 worries me a bit, don't know why as I might get it for £300. Could there be any repercussions if there is something wrong re the ownership?

I've never bought a car on Ebay before and it seems a bit crazy! He has excellent record on there btw.
Thanks

Comments

• AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PS I am thinking of setting up a sniper bid up to £350. I know it's quite a lot but if I'm comfortable going ahead it is local to me, hopefully in good condition and worth making sure I get it. It may go for less but I wouldn't go over that price.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Assuming its reg is X815 YND the car isn't found when you do a check for MOT here:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

and to my eyes it looks very "prepared for sale" - engine has been steam cleaned and glossed etc, tyres glossed. maybe due to the back-story but maybe not. I'd be wary.
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    That's the one but it is YNU..found it on MOT website. Still not 100% sure though. Does it look too good to be true?!
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    She did have the V5 but the part to send away was torn off. The advert did say he bought it for his teenage son who decided he didn't want it. It means I am buying it from a different name and address to that where I saw it, and to that on Ebay.

They should have the complete V5C, with their details, or the green New Keeper Supplement from the previous keeper's V5C.

It is known that some traders (who may well have the V5C, not in their name and minus the New Keeper Supplement), will try and sell a vehicle as a private sale, to avoid any comeback about problems with the vehicle which they would be responsible for in a trade sale.
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    As long as you double check the previous rust issues it maybe worth a punt at £350.
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2017 at 9:05PM
    Options
    I bid & won car on ebay,

When I went to collect, test drove, car was making racket, I walked away. Seller was annoyed saying I should take it, you bid to buy.
    I walked away, people will take the pee.

You really should see & hear the car running.

If you're going to buy with address discrepancy, I'd ask to see other proofs of ID & address.
  • Lorian
    edited 24 February 2017 at 9:03PM
    Options
    As long as you double check the previous rust issues it maybe worth a punt at £350.

I'd want to be checking the suspension mount that failed to see how well that was fixed. the history might indicates its due some new brake pads are due too.

It has a bosch battery on it, so someone maintaining it didn't go for the lowest price component at some point.

Of course it may go for more than £350 as there are already two keen bidders, assuming one isn't the OP.
  • Lorian
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    You really should see & hear the car running.

Unless I'm going daft she opened by saying she had been to view it.....
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Unless I'm going daft she opened by saying she had been to view it.....
    See & hear car running.
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    They should have the complete V5C, with their details, or the green New Keeper Supplement from the previous keeper's V5C.

It is known that some traders (who may well have the V5C, not in their name and minus the New Keeper Supplement), will try and sell a vehicle as a private sale, to avoid any comeback about problems with the vehicle which they would be responsible for in a trade sale.

mmm what worried me was there bit on the right hand page was missing - his wife said it was because their son had changed their mind. But that did ring alarm bells! It had the previous keeper's name on the other bit. does it sound like this is a trader?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure