Bidding for a car on Ebay

Options

Comments

• jobdone1
    Options
    In responce to angrycrow, if the add on eBay is not truthful when you go to pay then you walk away. Don't mislead to sell your crap
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    More exciting than the Archers! Don't forget to monitor the feedback.

Feedback will probably be left quickly before they find out what they have actually bought. It made it home so good feedback maybe left then.

When the MOTs due and they say the suspension is held on with duck tape it will be too late.

Lots will buy items and leave feedback when it gets delivered. Often they do not wait to test the items first.

Seen a few threads on here, Sold an item and the buyer left positive feedback but they claim it doesnt work. Usually asking if the positive feedback overrides them having to refund.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• just_trying
    Options
    Sorry not read everything but if she only had the new keeper bit I would say avoid.

You won't be the new keeper, plus you can't tax it, if you only want it a few months. It's seems to be within a week turn around just now so they should have changed owner over. My son has had 2 cars in 4 days, changed ownership. Full v5 back. Yes he likes bikes and cars....bikes better it exhausting keeping up with him.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    When the MOTs due and they say the suspension is held on with duck tape it will be too late.

The MoT isn't until the end of the year. I think if it goes alright until then, the buyer will have had their monies worth for £310
  • JoeyJoe
    JoeyJoe Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    jobdone1 wrote: »
    In responce to angrycrow, if the add on eBay is not truthful when you go to pay then you walk away. Don't mislead to sell your crap

But also don't buy a car you haven't seen, and expect to be able to walk away from it when it comes to buying it if you change your mind.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    as I might sit up until 2AM to bid the £500 I think it is worth, when the bidding is at £350, (But the seller has a reserve of £1000) and miss an identical one for £550 while I am waiting.
    Why on earth would you stay up to 2am just to place a bid on eBay, when you could just use an auction sniper and get a good nights sleep?
    Philip
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why on earth would you stay up to 2am just to place a bid on eBay, when you could just use an auction sniper and get a good nights sleep?

I'd only stay up if I really really really wanted something, and usually a check earlier will show if it is getting too dear. tbh, I'd just set an alarm for 10 minutes before anyway. ;)

Sometimes I forget, and that saves me money, as sometimes I might be watching say a left handed screwdriver, that I don't actually need, but quite fancy owning :D

You have to give the sniper full access to your account, which is why I don't use them. (You never get something for nothing, and these snipers are always a third party site- it wouldn't be difficult to have software to do it entirely from your computer, so why are they all external websites???)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    What muppet has a 2am finish time on an auction?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    What muppet has a 2am finish time on an auction?
    Exactly. I have had a couple of bargains that way. If you stay up and watch, you're probably the only one who is.

Conversely, I have often done well in selling by timing the auction end to 10 or 11 pm on a Fri or Sat night. I reckon there could be a Carlsberg Factor of about 5% in the last two minutes.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JoeyJoe wrote: »
    But also don't buy a car you haven't seen, and expect to be able to walk away from it when it comes to buying it if you change your mind.
    No one is talking about changing your mind. It's when an item is described falsely or inaccurately, and you turn up to find that the thing you have 'won' is not what you thought it was.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure