Sainsbury's - at it again?

We've recently had a thread about rapidly rising prices at Sainsbury's. There has been another on MSE's motoring forum suggesting the company has been imposing significant rises in vehicle fuel prices, too.

Now comes the revelation that on just one item alone (Sainsbury's sausages) it has fiddled with pack sizes to disguise a forty per cent price increase. 'Live well for less', indeed!

The story can be found here. Oh, and in case anyone feels triggered that it's from the Mail, the story originates from Channel 4, so that should soothe any ruffled plumage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4238286/Brexit-banger-Packs-shrink-prices-don-t.html

What's significant is that it seems to be yet another story suggesting that Sainsbury's has taken an across the board decision to raise its prices way beyond the present rate of inflation.

Why? And will it get away with it?
«134

Comments

  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Why are you having a particular go at Sainsburys?

    It is happening everywhere ( as the article says ) .The worst example shown is Asda Turkey with a 47.3% increase
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dlusman wrote: »
    Why are you hving a particualr go at Sainsburys?

    It is happening everywhere ( as the article says ) .The worst example shown is Asda Turkey with a 47.3% increase

    Because, as I suggested in my opening sentence, it looks as if it is part of a pattern of behaviour at this supermarket. I'm sorry if you missed the other threads on the subject.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Because, as I suggested in my opening sentence, it looks as if it is part of a pattern of behaviour at this supermarket. I'm sorry if you missed the other threads on the subject.

    But its not just Sainsburys - Its everywhere
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Looking at the article, there's nothing new about shrinking food although it continues to irritate me. Suppliers must think their customers are incredibly stupid.


    I shop in Sainsbury's for the (very few) things I can't get/don't like in Aldi and I've noticed what you say. They seem to put 'New Low Regular Price' on some items in the (vain) hope that we won't notice the increases on others. My latest bugbear is own brand pickled cabbage in sweet vinegar. All through last year it was 75p a jar and after Christmas it leapt up to 90p, so a 20% increase.:mad:
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dlusman wrote: »
    But its not just Sainsburys - Its everywhere

    The point is that Sainsbury's has been one of the worst offenders - perhaps the very worst. See other threads.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    The point is that Sainsbury's has been one of the worst offenders - perhaps the very worst. See other threads.

    Where is your evidence that Sainsburys is one of the worst offenders, perhaps the very worst? And yes, I'm asking for evidence, not "see other threads", all they do is point to you being a bit obsessed with Sainsburys.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Where is your evidence that Sainsburys is one of the worst offenders, perhaps the very worst? And yes, I'm asking for evidence, not "see other threads", all they do is point to you being a bit obsessed with Sainsburys.

    That would include the threads like this one, that I haven't posted in, would it?

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5604566
  • Wednesday100
    Wednesday100 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 February 2017 at 9:21PM
    My view on evidence:
      1. Several people posting on here have noted price increases on a wide range of Sainsbury's products of 5, 10, 20 pence. Often being a 10% increase. So something that was 50p going up to 55p. This is whilst prices for the same items at competitors have remained stable and lower than Sainsbury's
      2. If you look at a basket of items from Sainsbury's on the My Supermarket app you can see a) the current price is much higher than ASDA and Tesco and b) the app shows historic high and average prices, and for Sainsbury's most current prices are at a peak and much higher than the average recorded by MySupermarket.


      Personally I think that the Sainsbury's price increases are the main issue and most of the time it is the market-leading brands that are guilty of shrinkflation. But I am certainly going to watch the own-brand pack sizes going forwards :)

      Hope this helps.
    • Tesco started doing this about 6 or 7 years ago and lost a lot of customers and they still haven't recovered. Sainsburies are probably losing a lot of money due to very tight margins. They are playing a dangerous game by trying to mug their customers like Tesco did though.
      Why anyone does a main shop in the big 4 is beyond me. It just does not make financial sense. ALDI, Lidl, farmfoods, Iceland, home bargains and B and M bargains, there is just too much good competition nowadays.
    • robin58
      robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
      edited 20 February 2017 at 12:00AM
      My complaint about Sainsburys is they have raised prices by at least 10% on all items just after Christmas.

      To give you some idea by what I mean, I purchased a hovis loaf in Sainsburys for £1.45. I then purchased the same loaf in Waitrose for £1.34 and that is thier usual price. Why is it 11p dearer in Sainsburys, when Waitrose who most perceive are expensive, is cheaper.

      It's just that Sainsburys has wacked prices up across the whole board, not just for Eu imported items but for items that are produced and sourced totally in the UK.

      As another poster on here has said that Sainsburys is doing 'a Tesco' by pushing thier prices as far as they can get away with. Sainsburys are going to crash and burn if they are not to careful.
      The more I live, the more I learn.
      The more I learn, the more I grow.
      The more I grow, the more I see.
      The more I see, the more I know.
      The more I know, the more I see,
      How little I know.!! ;)
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

    Categories

    • All Categories
    • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
    • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 172.9K Life & Family
    • 247.7K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
    • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
    • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards