🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sainsbury's - at it again?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    My complaint about Sainsburys is they have raised prices by at least 10% on all items just after Christmas.

To give you some idea by what I mean, I purchased a hovis loaf in Sainsburys for £1.45. I then purchased the same loaf in Waitrose for £1.34 and that is thier usual price. Why is it 11p dearer in Sainsburys, when Waitrose who most perceive are expensive, is cheaper.

It's just that Sainsburys has wacked prices up across the whole board, not just for Eu imported items but for items that are produced and sourced totally in the UK.

As another poster on here has said that Sainsburys is doing 'a Tesco' by pushing thier prices as far as they can get away with. Sainsburys are going to crash and burn if they are not to careful.
    in aldi and lidl you can get a loaf for 45p which is exactly the same as the brands apart from the label. Why spend hundreds of pounds a year extra on bread? I don't understand it.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    in aldi and lidl you can get a loaf for 45p which is exactly the same as the brands apart from the label. Why spend hundreds of pounds a year extra on bread? I don't understand it.

Tesco own bread is also often baked in one of the big bakeries, same as Hovis or similar, but really doesn't taste as nice to me. Kingsmill wholemeal has a much nicer flavour than all of the other ones I've tried, both branded and supermarket own. There isn't an Aldi or Lidl on my commute (I would have to go 15 minute walk each way out of my way) so never really tried their bread but I assume it is same issue it doesn't have the flavour I like.
  • usernameisvalid
    Options
    A White hovis is 75p in my local Lidl And its 95p in my local Tesco

We don't have a sainsburys close enough for me to know their price
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury's has definitely been doing large price increases which I have noticed over the last month.

A couple of examples - 500g of sultanas were 80p a month ago, but now its £1
    Their 'value range' hot chocolate was £1.15 not so long ago, and is now £1.60
    Their Somerset Brie cheese has gone up 25p for the larger size

I also noticed my local store has pulled a load of their value ranges - you used to be able to get instant coffee for about 55p. I prefer real coffee, but if you are drinking instant might as well get the cheap stuff as it all tastes bad compared to filter. But that has gone now too.

Yes, prices are shooting up. I do not have a lot of choice for stores where I live being rural, but the price increases are very noticable.
  • ETF65
    ETF65 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Have noticed some of their ready meals have started getting bad reviews because of changes.

For example TTD Fish Pie:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-luxury-fish-pie--taste-the-difference-400g-6288597-p-44#BVRRWidgetID

Also how do they get away with leaving five star reviews for their own products??
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options

Actually I usually buy the Aldi or Lidl which is 42p at the momment but Checkoutsmart and Quicksnap were doing an offer of a freebie hovis loaf.

The price comparison beteeen the 2 supermarkets still stands. How can Waitrose sell the same bread cheaper than Sainsburys, whose tag line is 'live well for less'

As a little project, readers of this reply, go and pick 10 or more branded products from your food cupboard. Go to the mysupermarket website and check the prices. I can guarantee that 80% of Sainsburys prices will be between 5p under or 5p over Waitrose prices. ( exclude special offers for this price comparison).

A. Badgers point is still valid. How can other supermarkets mange to keep prices down but Sainsburys decides to increase all its prices by 10% across the board regardless of product.

Either they need the money or think people will still buy at the increased prices without thought.

WAKE UP SAINSBURYS, we are not all fools. Tesco tried the same trick and look what happened to them.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Out of interest, do we know whether Tesco and Sainsbury's are winners or losers in the business rates adjustment from April?

Aldi and Lidl stores tend to have fixed store space and are European businesses so may be able to absorb any increases, in the same way they can factor in currency risks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting thread. I'd say the gravy train for the major supermarkets is heading rapidly for the buffers. All these ploys are to maintain their profit margins but customers are voting with their feet.

What's really refreshing about this thread is that there's been no mention of Sainsbobs or Morries or MrT or MrA or any of the other nonsense! If the supermarkets want to read the thread they're very welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can understand people getting cross about price rises, but any supermarket is in busines to make money and make a profit, and if its prices didn't rise with inflation then they would soon go out of business.

Shops, like any business, need to make money to survive, if they didn't then thousands of people would be out of work. Shop workers, drivers office staff etc.

We have had cheap food for so long in this country that people seem to think of it as a right which is absurd.
    If the company you work for didn't make a profit then you would be unemployed, its simple economics.

So people vote with their feet and their wallets. We are in for some serious price rises no doubt in the next few months, and sadly we will have to just suck it up
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    So by your logic JackieO Sainsburys must be in a bad way to up it's prices before anybody else. Perhaps they are in financial problems if they can't compete on price.

I understand Sainsburys is a good gainer in the business rates debates. In fact about £19m better off.

Plus I don't mind sucking up to price rises but I am not going to stand back and let them just put them up for the sake of it. Because if we don't push back they will just roll over us.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing