Sainsbury's - at it again?

Options

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't always agree with Robin58 but I do on this occasion.

Surely we are all here because this is a money saving site? So isn't it only sensible to draw attention to a company that is perhaps one of the frontrunners in above inflation price rises and deceptive tactics?

Don't forget this is a 40% hike in the price of one product. How can any store justify that sort of price increase - especially when it has achieved it by deceiving its customers with redesigned pack sizes?

As it happens I was in a Sainsbury's today and every few minutes had to endure that irritating 'live well for less' slogan on the tannoy. Are there people who still believe this? Looking around at some of the customers, I think there probably are so it seems perfectly reasonable to draw people's attention to what they might be missing when they go shopping. - even some MSE readers.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used Sainsbury's in the past a fair bit when I was with the ex. Since splitting and moving town with no big Sainsbury's (we have a local in town) I haven't used them as much. I did a couple of online shops with them when they sent me money off codes but I hadn't had any until a couple of days ago. Just browsing their site and they really have gone up in price, I know they are more expensive than say Asda (where the ex and I also shopped) but it's really gone up these past 3 years! I use Ocado monthly and even they seem reasonable compared to Sainsbury's, I don't know if that's just because I'm more savvy with how I shop with them but I can get a lot of shopping for £100, Sainsbury's though by the looks of it I doubt it.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Options
    Of course we all realise that businesses are there to make profit. What Sainsbury's is doing with huge price hikes for no other reason than because they can is ripping off customers. And there are no rules that make the amount of profit sacrosanct.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What I was trying to say is its choice really if the place is too expensive then just go somewhere else.I rarely shop in Sainsburys for that reason I shop in Aldis or Lidls even though it means I have to drive slightly further . By going elsewhere they will either drop some of their prices or not .In today's competitive market long gone are the days of loyalty to a brand or shop.Like everyone else I am not happy about price rises as I live,as a pensioner on a fixed income .(I'm not one of the supposed gold-plated OAPS ) But I shop carefully and if I think a price it too much then I go where its cheaper if I can.We have such a wide range of shops not and to 'push back' the best way is to vote with your feet.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    What I was trying to say is its choice really if the place is too expensive then just go somewhere else.I rarely shop in Sainsburys for that reason I shop in Aldis or Lidls even though it means I have to drive slightly further . By going elsewhere they will either drop some of their prices or not .In today's competitive market long gone are the days of loyalty to a brand or shop.Like everyone else I am not happy about price rises as I live,as a pensioner on a fixed income .(I'm not one of the supposed gold-plated OAPS ) But I shop carefully and if I think a price it too much then I go where its cheaper if I can.We have such a wide range of shops not and to 'push back' the best way is to vote with your feet.
    Agreed. The difference is if I think it's too expensive I'll just do without. It ain't gonna kill me.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

Don't forget this is a 40% hike in the price of one product. How can any store justify that sort of price increase - especially when it has achieved it by deceiving its customers with redesigned pack sizes?

again you are berating Sainsburys by quoting the link you posted in the OP . This says that ALL of the main supermarkets and brands are involved - and the 40% example in Sainsburys isnt the worst one found
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    My grouch with Sainsburys is that today their fuel is as expensive as the tiny independent filling station/corner shop near home.
    Yes, the markup on fuel is puny - but Sainsburys seem to have decided to take a punt on consumer apathy.
    Happily I still have half a tank & will now drop in on Asda en route home to check their rate & buy from the lowest cost provider.

A pity, but if they choose to price themselves out of my budget, they will loose custom.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    again you are berating Sainsburys by quoting the link you posted in the OP . This says that ALL of the main supermarkets and brands are involved - and the 40% example in Sainsburys isnt the worst one found

You're probably right that they're all at it. I think the Sainsbury's sausage example hit the headlines of the Dispatch programme which is why this particular SM is in the frame.

I only use Sainsbury's for a few purchases I can't get in Aldi, Farmfoods, B&M, £ shops and Iceland. I go there because it doesn't involve any extra fuel as all the stores are within half a mile of each other whereas Asda, Morrisons and Tescos are much further away.

I think what gets to me most isn't that they are putting up prices. That's happening everywhere including Aldi. It's the patronising way they try to hide it from customers as if we are all of little brain.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »

And again you are avoiding all the other examples posted suggesting a recent policy shift at Sainsbury's.

Why the tribal loyalty to one particular supermarket chain?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2017 at 10:55PM
    Options
    I don't mind any supermarket putting up their prices.

But to put them up but then boast that you will 'live well for less' whilst attempting to give a Waitrose colleague experience and failing at it, I think that is taking the pis.

I don't need a Dispatch programme to tell me they are ripping me off. I discovered that the old fashion way - wearing out shoe leather.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income