Vodafone Retention Deals

Options

Comments

• Jonesbo
    Jonesbo Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello. I am a continued Vodafone customer of more than 10 years. I am looking at gettint the 40GB with free Spotify for £30 SIM only deal, but I would ideally like to try to bring this down to around the £25 per month mark. What can I realistically expect in this regard? I managed to get my first two months free on my last 12 months SIM only deal after I insisted I was leaving Vodafone after having found a better deal on EE.

40% off I'd say. That's usually been my max both with sim only and contract phones. Current sim only is 40% off plus first two months free (works out 7GB for £8.75pm).
  • Quicklite
    Quicklite Posts: 67 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2017 at 12:29AM
    Options
    Woke up this morning - my Red Spotify expired - turns out that the Voda sims-only was up for renewal. I requested the PAC. The 191 "if you're thinking of leaving" guy couldn't help much much (got bog standard £20 for 8GB RED pack). I mentioned that a new customer would get a better deal (e.g. £45 Quidco or something) - the guy didn't help, and said the £25 deal for 25GB RED can't be discounted (understandable). Turns out to be a very sticky phone call (with loads of fear/uncertainty/doubt tactics - they're obviously the first line of retention). Stuck to requesting the PAC.

Later on the same day - got a callback from a fast talking retention team person (sounds more used to making deals). They offered 40% off the 8GB red pack, which works out at £16.8 per month, with the 4 month free (so £11.2pm over 12 month). I got them to apply 40% off - to the £33 sims only tariff (Unlimited min, text, 16GB, RED entertainment pack) & first 4 month free too. Works out at £19.8pm x8 /12 or £13.2 per month. V. Happy.

I have Voda fibre too / not sure if that made any difference / have been with them for nearly a decade now. This was probably one of the better deals I've had.
  • jimroy
    jimroy Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Jonesbo wrote: »
    Similar to the deal I got.

BUT... check your bills everyone!

I've been overcharged two years running now when they haven't put the contract through properly. Currently being charged £27pm because they've cocked up yet again. I'll get it back it's fine, but just be aware VF are notorious for this since they switched their billing systems and it's still happening.

Thanks.

The only time I've been caught out by Vodafone billing wise was when they charged me for two picture messages because I'd added an emoji onto two text messages.
    They credited me back and I have blocked outgoing picture messages on my account and changed settings on my phone so that doesn't happen again.

i called Vodafone back re my upgrade as I thought I could have got a better deal applying my 40% discount onto my existing 8gb tariff. I was told that i would only have got a 15% discount for that tariff. And for my trouble and the confusion they applied another £20 discount onto my account. So I'm even more 'quids in' now. I'm effectively paying £7.08 pm for 12 months. I was even given the option to cancel/reverse the upgrade. And I could use my already issued PAC to leave if I wanted.

I've checked and both credits have already been applied to my account. I won't have to pay a bill until next year now. And the discount is valid on my account until Jan '20, so that's good too.

And of course you can upgrade after 3 months on a SIMO plan to a flexible tariff with a handset meaning you can re-upgrade every six months to a new handset if you so desire. I don't, but I like that you have those options.

I'm very happy with what I've got. :-)
  • boundy
    boundy Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not due for renewal until middle of March next year but fancy a new phone, so thought I would try my luck.

Current deal was 10gb data on an S7 that cost £29 per month, which I changed a few months back to 16gb data for £33 per month.

After much haggling, a pac request and 3 different online chat advisors, they came up with the following deal.
    Galaxy S8, £10 device cost, waive the early upgrade fee (this was £179). 16gb data, £33.70 per month.
    I wanted Spotify also so he came back with the following, as above but with 32gb data and Spotify for £37.70.
    Phone is being delivered Tuesday. Should get an easy £150 for my S7.
    Total cost over 24 months
    £904.80+ £10 upfront -£240 for Spotify = £674.80 - £522 handset cost (amazon have the cheapest at the mo) = £152.80 for the cost of the plan ÷ 24 months = £6.36 per month for 32gb of data.

I know the above calculations are a bit !!! about face way of doing it but still works out cheaper than a sim free phone + sim only plan. Take the resale of my S7 into consideration that came from my last retention deal and the air time plan practically free.
  • cezairs
    cezairs Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Advice if anyone can help -

Daughter contract about to end and now needs a new handset at Uni so needs DATA and probably Spotify too.

My contract is Unlimited Texts and Mins with 20GB rolling 30day @ £21.25 with Spotify ending 12th Feb.

Other daughter has a year on her contract with them unlimited text and calls with 6GB of data (which she sometimes goes over)
    Would there be any scope for change on this do you think ?
    As I have 3 with them will they be nice to me ?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
  • Beartricks
    Options
    I attempted to haggle with them a month or so ago. I've been paying £23 for 1GB data, unlimited minutes and texts on an LGG4 for the past two years, although I stuck my sim in an unlocked cheap phone because the G4 had a hardware failure that no one wanted to take responsibility for. I also had a 20% public services discount on the contract.

Vodafone would not budge on giving me any kind of good deal. The person I spoke to consistently quoted the deals on the website, all of which are terrible and my upgrade options are a bit of a joke.

I'd ideally like a more up to date phone rather than an older model. I'm willing to pay a bit more but Vodafone don't seem to want to keep my business.
  • Jonesbo
    Jonesbo Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beartricks wrote: »
    I attempted to haggle with them a month or so ago. I've been paying £23 for 1GB data, unlimited minutes and texts on an LGG4 for the past two years, although I stuck my sim in an unlocked cheap phone because the G4 had a hardware failure that no one wanted to take responsibility for. I also had a 20% public services discount on the contract.

Vodafone would not budge on giving me any kind of good deal. The person I spoke to consistently quoted the deals on the website, all of which are terrible and my upgrade options are a bit of a joke.

I'd ideally like a more up to date phone rather than an older model. I'm willing to pay a bit more but Vodafone don't seem to want to keep my business.

Very strange. Assume you had the dreaded bootloop on the G4!

As a ballpark I pay £8.75pm for 7gb data 500m unlt txt, roughly a 40pc discount. Generally you can't stack with employee discount so not worth having that. Call staff usually useless you need to cancel (order pac) and wait for a retentions call.

Saying that the last few times I've been 'transferred' to retentions when ringing up.

If you're getting nowhere though, just order your pac and wait a few days. Some amazing SIM only deals out there now (check the HUKD sim only thread) so don't stay with VF if you're not getting a good deal...and at the mo you're not :(
  • Tagatose
    Tagatose Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    SIM only deals in the order they were offered:

20gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    Free to use in 50 free destinations
    £17
    with 2 months free

25gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    Free spotify or sky sports or now tv
    £21.25
    with 2 months free

40gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £24
    with 2 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £14.45
    with 2 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £14.45
    with 3 months free

8gb of data
    Unlimited mintues
    unlimited text
    £16.20
    with 3 months free

5gb of data
    500 minutes
    unlimited text
    £10.80
    with 3 months free

10gb of data
    500 minutes
    unlimited text
    £14.40
    with 3 months free
  • marsman802
    marsman802 Posts: 558 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2017 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Not so much a retention deal because it is offered to new customers but they did offer me £19 Red Entertainment with 16GB for 12mnths.
    Now given I pay for Spotify already that effectively makes the deal £9 for 16GB.

I thought that was great however I've decided to go to PAYG for a couple of days and then go back to Vodafone via Mobiles.co.uk who are offering the above but with £78 cashback.

So my shiny new iPhone X (which I bought via the British Airways estore and clicked through to John Lewis to net 3,996 Avios and an additional years warranty for free) is on a contract for 12 months that is effectively only costing me £2.51 per month. No idea if I'll get close to that in 12 months time but if I can my iPhone X is costing me the equivalent of £44 a month.

The guy on the phone did say he was only allowed to discount Entertainment packs by 30% at most and the £19 is well over that - never know if he’s being entirely honest of course

P.S. as an aside you can balance transfer the above cost of the phone to one of the balance transfer cashback cards saving another £15 (check MSE balance transfer offers - Lloyds!) which is what I have done.
  • Sarah2018_2
    Options
    After selecting 'I'm thinking of leaving' and waiting 50 mins on hold I'm now pretty sure I'm definitely wanting to leave! Been a customer for 10 years now and really don't like having to go down this retentions route every year in order to get a good deal.

Currently on 40% discount - £11.15 4GB & unlimited calls and texts, but will go back up to £18 next month. Said I wanted my bill to be less than currently paying but ideally more data and was offered:

5GB of data
    500 minutes & unlimited text
    £10.80

I said I'd found a better deal online (it's Black Friday weekend) with Three for more data: £13 8GB 600 mins, unlimited & 1 month contract and asked what they could do around the 8GB mark. They said they could discount £18 8GB package with unlimited calls and texts to £14. I said that was still too high. Asked about whether they could include the entertainment package (Spotify etc) - said the cheapest they could offer for that is £16....

I thought I'd been put through to retentions team but have a feeling it wasn't as he wasn't offering anything else, free months etc. Perhaps I should have ummed and ahhed a bit more, but just want to sort this out and not waste time. So I asked for my PAC code - they said if i wait until closer to Xmas before using it there may be some better deals they can offer...so not keen to keep me after almost 10 years.

I've found an offer with Three (via Bill Monitor website) for:
    12GB data with world wide roaming
    Unlimited calls and texts
    £12

Don't think there coverage is as good in the UK but OK for where I live. Hope everyone else has more luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback