exercise for middle aged overweight man

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    For commuting along the canal get yourself a spare inner tube in case of punctures, (on a canal towpath they are common), and learn how to change it front and rear. A guy at the office had a puncture on his very first towpath trip.

Alternatively, pay for some puncture resistant tyres which help massively.
    Pants
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    And at least we don't have much in the way of rubbish in the house so if he's looking for comfort food he's limited to half a packet of custard creams...
    What sort of comfort foods does he usually go for?
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Chocolate, crisps, chips, Haribo...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • trailingspouse
    A week since OH's depression came back. It's something we live with, we'll cope.

He decided to just have one fast day last week and try not to feel guilty about it, which I think was the most sensible thing he could do under the circumstances.

This week he's wanting to do 3 fast days, to make up for lost time - I don't think it's a good idea, especially as he was wanting to do them concurrently (he finds it easier to fast when he's at work, as he's busy and doesn't have such easy access to food). We've left things that he'll do two days and see how he feels about a third one. I certainly don't think he should do 3 in a row. And being that hungry really isn't going to help his depression.

Exercise has taken a nose-dive.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    Just here for another flyby response :D

I think a lot of people fall into the trap of being too strict with themselves over their diet and consider themselves to have 'failed' for a brief lapse when really they should be looking at the bigger picture. This thread shows evidence of a massive, positive change in lifestyle and a huge amount of weight-loss success and that's the bottom line. The day to day is less important than the overall trend.

Last week your OH needed a holiday from his diet so, having earned it with his success, he took it. No worries. This week it's back to normal. No need to fast an extra day because he's really done nothing wrong. I think I want to reiterate that last point. It is perfectly fine, maybe even HEALTHY, to take a day or two where diet isn't the most important thing. It's not something to dwell on and correct, it's just part of a balanced mindset and lifestyle.

At some point I wonder if your OH might like to read this thread? Only you'll know how he'll react to it but my word, I've found it to be an uplifting read!

It'll be new suits in no time!!!
  • trailingspouse
    14st 8lb!!!!!!!!!

3lbs off his target weight.

In the end, he just did two fast days this week - he'd decided that if he hadn't lost any weight he would do the third fast day, but if he'd lost some weight he wouldn't. And he had, so he didn't, if you see what I mean.

He's had a week of not doing much exercise - when he's depressed he isn't keen on going outside or being with people. But today he was feeling a bit better, and we had a nice walk by the river in Durham. Didn't make it to 10,000, but hey.

AirJoe - thanks for your lovely response. You're absolutely right, of course. And suit shopping will be happening next weekend.
  • trailingspouse
    Who are you, and what have you done with my husband??

Bit of a celebration this evening - we bought a bottle of prosecco, and I decided I would get a bag of posh crisps to go with it. OH decided he would get some too - found some he fancied, picked them up, checked the calories on the back, and put them back. As we walked to the checkout, we passed the chocolate display - he pretended he was being pulled towards it by magnets. But didn't buy any.

I'm just amazed.
  • trailingspouse
    A beautiful afternoon turned in to a beautiful evening, so after tea I suggested going for a walk. Normally OH is too tired after a day at work, and I would have been quite happy to go on my own. He said he'd been about to suggest a bike ride. So - we got the bikes out and we cycled 3 miles out and 3 miles back, stopping off at a pub on the side of the canal for a swift half.

It's a fast day, so a beer was a bit naughty - but we don't do 'good' and 'naughty', and we don't do feeling guilty. Life is too short.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    That's amazing:T, well done to both of you, him for losing it and you for all the encouragement.
  • trailingspouse
    Whoop!!!

Today we bought... NEW SUITS!!!!

And two pairs of jeans, a pair of chinos, some new shirts, a new jumper, and (possibly TMI here) new underpants!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure