£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well doen for paying so much off! Whether you manage the extra or not that is still a massive achievement!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Had a really productive work day today, nice and ahead of schedule for the week so, all things being equal, I might be able to spend a bit of time on business development rather than just doing my usual frantic paddling to keep up.

Have managed to find a few extra pounds in the budget towards bringing the debt total under £66,000, although not the full amount yet. We do have an MBNA DD coming out in a week which will bring us under that magic number, but in an ideal world I'd like to do it before then, for added smugness. I just made a tenner on eb@y, which will go towards it too.

To Do today:
    1. Social media while working. Done! Not the most groundbreaking social media ever, but done.
    2. Make candles. Done! Need to get some more essential oils before I can make any more. Want to find some nice bright springy scents.
    3. Menu plan and shopping list. Done!
    4. input shopping list into MySupermarket. Done! It's currently looking mighty expensive due to decision to buy a ham joint to cook rather than buying a few expensive slices (buying a joint will give us meat for a whole load of meals). I may just need to come to terms with spending £75 on the food shop instead of £60-ish.
    5. Plan out my working time this week. Done!

To do this week::
    1. Look into changing bank accounts and decide whether we want the hassle (I rather like having all our accounts available under one login, not sure I want to open up three new accounts).
    2. Make the statement payment to the barclaycard (it will come out by DD if I don't pay it manually, but I like to get everything lined up as early as possible so it makes my YNAB look prettier). Done!
    3. List old unloved handbag on eb@y.
    4. Order birthday presents for child 2 and child 3.
    5. Plan birthday parties so anything needed can be ordered in.
    6. Declutter one room - I feel like the clutter in the house is bothering me again, it's been building up over the past few weeks.Done! Going to attempt to get the kids' room done too by the end of the week.
    7. Take lots of photos for social media at an event I'm going to on Thursday.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds all very productive and positive. Your doing so well.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 4: Day 2

Monday morning, yawn! I actually like the start of a new working week, always feels like a fresh start. It does help that I don't have a proper job to go to, I expect ;) .

Moderately busy week with work this week, including an immensely unprofitable bit of work which I stupidly undercharged for on Wednesday, which I know is going to irritate me when I come to do it. Pleased to be ahead on the admin side after my weekend of productiveness though.

Showed DH the debt/repayment numbers last night and he almost fell off his chair that we've managed to reduce the total by £949-ish since starting out on 12th Feb. I think we've made noises about paying off the debt so many times without actually doing anything, he is as surprised and pleased as I am to see the number actually reducing.

To Do today:
    1. Social media while working.
    2. Food shopping.
    3. Prevent the ironing basket returning to its Everest-esque status of last week
    4. Find a cheap recipe for some kind of chocolate brownie pudding tonight that uses store cupboard ingredients and not too many eggs.

To do this week::
    1. Look into changing bank accounts and decide whether we want the hassle (I rather like having all our accounts available under one login, not sure I want to open up three new accounts).
    2. Make the statement payment to the barclaycard (it will come out by DD if I don't pay it manually, but I like to get everything lined up as early as possible so it makes my YNAB look prettier). Done!
    3. List old unloved handbag on eb@y.
    4. Order birthday presents for child 2 and child 3.
    5. Plan birthday parties so anything needed can be ordered in.
    6. Declutter one room - I feel like the clutter in the house is bothering me again, it's been building up over the past few weeks.Done! Going to attempt to get the kids' room done too by the end of the week.
    7. Take lots of photos for social media at an event I'm going to on Thursday.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Inching closer to £66,000! Made a payment today from child benefit coming in (you may remember it's a 'surplus' this month, as we were able to meet all our expected outgoings without allowing for it, so it's been divided between debt, birthdays and a couple of other pots this month), so the debt now stands at £66,029.04. Determined to do this before that MBNA payment comes out and does it for me.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    HOW EXCITING. In my quest to get below £66k, I failed to notice that we have also passed another milestone: we have paid off over £1,000 since our LBM in mid-February.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! What an achievement! £1k in less than a month is AMAZING :) Just think what you're doing to your DFD... it'll be whizzing closer to you with every payment. And in £29.05p time, you'll be at £65,999.99 bringing you into the next bracket.

You still have a long way to go but these milestones will hopefully be keeping the motivation up :)

What a nice boost for a Monday morning!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Doodles152
    Doodles152 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    You've inspired me to do so much. Have started using YNAB - love it but I'm sad that I get excited when I have money adding to my account so I can budget it, wish id found this before really helping me to stay on track.
    Making candles, I burn candles every day never thought to make my own so going to google how to do that now

Well done on your debt repayment so far, think your diary is keeping you focused.
    Debts to deal with Cap 1 £3996.83 £3923.43 (0%), Next £1252.21 £1211.85 (0%) Very £294.88 £282.64, Studio £266.11 £256.11 (0%), Halifax card £277.17 £466.01:mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Inching closer to £66,000! Made a payment today from child benefit coming in (you may remember it's a 'surplus' this month, as we were able to meet all our expected outgoings without allowing for it, so it's been divided between debt, birthdays and a couple of other pots this month), so the debt now stands at £66,029.04. Determined to do this before that MBNA payment comes out and does it for me.

Nearly there! Exciting stuff :D
    HOW EXCITING. In my quest to get below £66k, I failed to notice that we have also passed another milestone: we have paid off over £1,000 since our LBM in mid-February.

That's brilliant, well done x
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well done on your debt repayment so far, think your diary is keeping you focused.
    I think the diary has been the difference between the previous (countless) failures and the success this time, to be perfectly honest. Knowing that I can come and share little successes and have someone to give me a gentle slap about the chops when I need it is a great motivator.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback