Car Tyres - Premium vs Budget, but the part no where seems to address.

Options

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Those videos hardly show excessive heroics.

It'a always hard to judge from a a video, but 'they certainly don't show driving to the conditions - kinda by definition seeing as the tyres' grip was exceeded (twice)!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's more complicated than that
    So there we go. There's absolutely no problem with shoving castors on the back, so long as you "drive to the conditions"...
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    No
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    You could always try taking damp roundabouts a little more gently?

You are an idiot. And the fact that you got two thanks shows that there are more idiots like you. Did you see the first car in the first viseo which takes a sharper corner faster than me? You can also see in the second video that I am going slowly and that the car in front is fine. Do you want me to have someone with a red flag walking in front of me?

In 20 years of driving I've only skidded twice when going round a roundabout. Those videos show both occasions. Those tyres were dangerous.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    No
    It'a always hard to judge from a a video, but 'they certainly don't show driving to the conditions - kinda by definition seeing as the tyres' grip was exceeded (twice)!

So according to you there is no such thing as a dangerous tyre?
  • Joe_Horner
    edited 23 December 2017 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Yes
    You are an idiot. And the fact that you got two thanks shows that there are more idiots like you. Did you see the first car in the first viseo which takes a sharper corner faster than me? You can also see in the second video that I am going slowly and that the car in front is fine. Do you want me to have someone with a red flag walking in front of me?

In 20 years of driving I've only skidded twice when going round a roundabout. Those videos show both occasions. Those tyres were dangerous.

The "warning" lane markings on that roundabout are a standard length of 9 metres (6m line, 3m gap) and, on a very rough count, you pass 4 of them in 2 seconds in the first video, which comes to 18 metres / second or just short of 40mph.

That's too fast for a damp roundabout. Obviously so seeing as you lost it.

In the other video, you're catching the red car at the point you lose it, so either he's slowed or you're accelerating, and he's taken a wider line after the apex of the bend while you're holding close to the roundabout. So you're going faster, on a tighter turn, than he is. It's all there in the video. -
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    No
    The "warning" lane markings on that roundabout are a standard length of 9 metres (6m line, 3m gap) and, on a very rough count, you pass 4 of them in 2 seconds in the first video, which comes to 18 metres / second or just short of 40mph.

That's too fast for a damp roundabout. Obviously so seeing as you lost it.

In the other video, you're catching the red car at the point you lose it, so either he's slowed or you're accelerating, and he's taken a wider line after the apex of the bend while you're holding close to the roundabout. So you're going faster, on a tighter turn, than he is. It's all there in the video. -

As I said, you're an idiot. That statement "Obviously so seeing as you lost it." proves that you consider bad tyres to be impossible. As I said, in 20 years of driving I've only ever lost the rear wheels in the wet twice, both times were on new Khumo kh27 tyres, both within a few weeks of each other. The speed in the second video is quite modest. In the first video it's a huge roundabout, most drivers take it faster than me.

You can check out online videos comparing premium tyres to ditchfinders in wet conditions. There is a huge difference. Why endanger yourself and others to save a small mount of money?
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest this is the 1st time I've ever heard of Kumho tyres being referred to as "budget" or "ditchfinders"

While not classed as a premium brand they have good reputation.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    Yes
    Paradigm wrote: »
    To be honest this is the 1st time I've ever heard of Kumho tyres being referred to as "budget" or "ditchfinders"

Shudder to think what he'd make of the Landsails I've got on my RWD daily. Must be grippier roads round here :rotfl:
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    No
    Paradigm wrote: »

That is what I thought. However, they were pretty cheap albeit not the cheapest, and some other people report exactly the same findings as me:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecowing-ES01-KH27_2.htm

You can see that many people say they have no sideways grip in the wet. No doubt some people who know everything will discount these reviews. After all, a skid is proof that one is going faster than the conditions allow, and never the fault of the tyres ...

Incidentally, I've been driving for 20 years with zero points on my licence, no driving convictions, and no insurance claims for 13 years. My only accident was reversing out of a parking space between two giant 4x4's and hitting a car driving behind me. Evidently a bit of a boy racer type ...
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    No
    I drive for economy (82 mpg out of my Diesel panda) so I drive gently apart from downhill. I tried cheap tyres and they are fine most of the time but even the most sedate driver can be required to swerve or do an emergency stop then they let you down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure