Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Its been a stormy night here with gusty winds. I put puppy out last night before bed and she found a ginormous spider :eek: I wasn't sure if it had bitten her nose or tickled her as she backed away from a dark corner of the dog run rubbing her nose with her paw. Checked her over and that's when I saw the beastie on the floor. Grabbed the spade and squished it. Then I sat on puppy watch for an hour to check no allergic reaction but she was fine. It took me a bit longer to stop shaking... I hate spiders !

Today I am planning a tip run. I'm just going to have a snooze as puppy is asleep after her morning feed and then we will go for a walk. Although its very windy its not raining at the moment.

Hurricane news - the path has shifted eastwards so they are now expecting a bigger hit on orlando than previously forecast, however it has been downgraded to category 1 so that has to be good news. Hoping to hear from DS later today if they have a signal
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on sorting spider, that's love.

I think its really good that you did a tip run I bet your place is so tidy. Hope DS is ok.

Kittikins post is making me laugh. Does he look like Poldark???
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Heavy showers here today. Tip run done. Got 4 pints milk and some crisps in Tesco and used £1.50 voucher so only paid 50p.

On the way back from the tip I went to McD and had a naughty big mac & fries on the :money: £1.99 deal.

I set off to walk puppy at 2.30pm with blue sky and we had only got to the end of the road when it poured with rain, so we turned round and ran home as I did not have a coat on ! We waited for the rain to stop and finally went out at 4.30pm.

I've had a letter from my mortgage company offering a 0% credit card for balance transfers and purchases over 12 months and I think I am going to apply. Our TV (big silver thing 20 years old) now takes 10 minutes for the picture to appear and the colour has gone so faces look grey. I am going to buy a new tv on 0% then I can easily pay it back over 12 months.

Hurricane news ... Wapp from DS ...Irma has passed orlando with a few trees uprooted but not too much damage where DS is. Phew what a relief.

Am so tired an early night for me tonight I think. Nice day forecast for tomorrow so I want to wash bedding. Am looking forward to my relaxing hair appointment tomorrow afternoon.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you squint and drink cider, probably ;) He's greying like me, a tiny bit taller than me (I'm 5'8") and is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s! When I met him outside the caf! on our first date, we smiled and I felt like I was meeting an old friend rather than an internet date :)

We're both amazed and delighted than in 10 months, we've only had awesome times and have been able to enjoy lots of fun and also give each other support through less pleasant moments. Looking forward to being Mrs Kittikins-KW one day :)
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Kittikins wrote: »
    When I met him outside the caf! on our first date, we smiled and I felt like I was meeting an old friend ...

That's lovely KW, it was obvious you were meant to be together :)

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Tried to apply for credit card online last night and their website crashed, applied again and it didn't give me the opportunity to enter my balance transfer details :mad: I phoned them this morning and they have 2 applications and 2 credit scores so they are cancelling one and removing one of the credit searches. I have to wait for BOTH letters to arrive then phone them again to check which one is cancelled then sign it and sent it back then wait for the card to arrive - THEN I can do the balance transfer ! What a palaver.

My current credit card payment is due on 28th so I am not sure that the balance transfer will have gone through by then so I will pay the minimum payment of £5 just in case. It will be annoying if it doesn't go through by 28th as I will be charged some interest on my current card balance which I had hoped to avoid.

We have been for a puppy walk this morning in the sunshine. Its lovely being off work :) I have DS's bedding in the machine and I will hang that out before I go to my hair appointment at 2pm. Puppy is asleep :happyhear

I had cheese on toast for breakfast from stores and remembered to only turn on half of the grill. I have some cooked chicken for lunch and a packet of faggots for dinner both from the freezer. The faggots should do 2 meals. I have not been "shopping" since last Tuesday except to get milk 4 pints for £1 at co-op or £1 from Tesco garage and then I used a clubcard voucher.

Plans for today
    washing - already in machine
    hair appointment
    mow lawn when I get back
    another dog walk later today
    mop kitchen floor - just before I go to hair appointment so it can dry whilst I am out

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I am sorry the credit card switch crashed. It is so annoying. Hopefully you will get the new card soon.

You have a looooong list of things to do. Well done in not shopping for food for so long that's a saving. Hope haircut is nice.

Mowing grass! Well done you. My lawn is soaked I haven't mowed it for ages!

All this dog walking is making you v fit. It's positive and it's good for you. :j

Hope your day was good.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Didn't actually get round to mowing the lawn :rotfl: Managed everything else on the list including mopping the kitchen floor which has to be done more often now with puppy paws all over it.

Used the cashpoint to withdraw money for hair £41 for cut, foils, base colour and blow dry. I popped into co-op to get some change and bought custard, they had a carton on special offer half price 74p which was cheaper than the tins. Total spend today £41.74.

I have the rest of the cash from £50 to go to aldi and get pizza and garlic bread for a girls night in at my house on Friday evening. I should have enough money left to get a bottle of rose wine from there too. That will count as part of my entertainment budget of which I have £16.45 left.

By the time I got back from the hairdressers it was nearly 5pm. Tried to take puppy for a walk but she refused to move past the garden gate lol. So I put her in the dog carrier and took her to a different park in the car and she was happy as larry, trotting around in new surroundings. I think I will have to start and take her to different places in the afternoons.

When I got back I put a pack of faggots and a jacket potato in the oven for my dinner and did the remaining veg from the fridge and the runner beans my friend gave me the other day. There is half a pack of faggots and half the veg left for tomorrow. I also had some of the rhubarb she gave me for pud with custard.:D

Its raining again at the moment and we have gales forecast but it was sunny for most of the day today and so I managed to get DS's bedding dry. I will see what the weather is like tomorrow and do mine if its a dry day.

I do have to be more organised now I am home alone with the puppy. To give you an idea of my day here are my plans for tomorrow

5am puppy out in garden
    5.15am - back to bed :p
    Usually I get ready for work now, but I am off this week so - back to bed until 5.45 then turn shower on so puppy hears normal household sounds to keep to routine as much as possible
    6am feed puppy & have my breakfast
    6.15am - usually go to work but as I am off-back to bed until 9am :D then shower/ get dressed
    9.30am walk puppy
    10.15 hang out washing if its a dry day
    10.30am visit to GP to get form to arrange sharps collection. The NHS no longer like type 2 to test ! Costs too much. Bit of a pain that I have to collect a form rather than just arrange over phone or online !
    11.00 am visit to £1 land for toothpaste & noodles & hopefully a new dustpan and brush. Old one got used in garden when DP's were here for gardening / cementing !
    11.30 go to aldi for girls night supplies
    12.00 home - feed puppy / play with puppy
    unload/load dishwasher, have my lunch
    mop kitchen floor
    2pm walk puppy
    3pm cut grass
    5pm feed puppy / play with puppy
    7pm feed me
    unload/load dishwasher
    8pm puppy in bed
    10pm puppy out in garden for last time until 5am next day.

Phew, my days are certainly full on at the moment but its worth it :D

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Its a lovely sunny day today breezy and a few showers,

5am puppy out in garden done
    5.15am - back to bed :pdone
    Usually I get ready for work now, but I am off this week so - back to bed until 5.45 then turn shower on so puppy hears normal household sounds to keep to routine as much as possible
    6am feed puppy & have my breakfast done
    6.15am - usually go to work but as I am off-back to bed until 9am :D then shower/ get dressed done
    9.30am walk puppy done
    10.15 hang out washing if its a dry day done just after a heavy shower
    10.30am visit to GP to get form to arrange sharps collection. The NHS no longer like type 2 to test ! Costs too much. Bit of a pain that I have to collect a form rather than just arrange over phone or online ! done but all they did was write down my name why they couldn't have done that over the phone is anyone's guess !!
    11.00 am visit to £1 land for toothpaste & noodles & hopefully a new dustpan and brush. Old one got used in garden when DP's were here for gardening / cementing ! done - they have reduced all their prices to 90p :rotfl: I bought 10 items and saved a pound ! £9 spent from grocery budget.
    11.30 go to aldi for girls night supplies done
    12.00 home - feed puppy / play with puppy done
    unload/load dishwasher, have my lunch done
    mop kitchen floor
    2pm walk puppy
    3pm cut grass
    5pm feed puppy / play with puppy
    7pm feed me
    unload/load dishwasher
    8pm puppy in bed
    10pm puppy out in garden for last time until 5am next day.

Am having leftovers for lunch, puppy is sleeping. (snoring loudly lol) I got back at 11.45 just in time to get my bedding in off the line before another heavy shower. It has dried already. Then a parcel delivery came which was the shoes I ordered at peacocks. Sadly they squeak when I walk in them so they will be going back to store on my way home from work one day later next week.

A few days ago you may recall me mentioning I had a pukka pie for dinner which I bought from the co-op reduced from £1.95 to 48p. When I cooked it I noticed the foil tray the pie came in had a hole in the bottom. I emailed the company and said how delicious the pie was but I noticed this possible manufacturing fault and they have sent me a letter and a £5 voucher to be spent in any supermarket on any groceries not just pukka pies :D I didn't even complain just thought I would let them know. Also had a letter from the doctor its time for this years flu jab already !

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Glad you have been at home and can't believe how much walking you are doing! Plus all the other things. Puppies are funny about walking - I used to carry my friends dog when she was a baby as she would just lie in the road half way through crossing it!

Well done in having money left over for a night with your friends. You deserve some fun as you are sooo busy. Have a good day tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure