Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
142 replies 34.9K views

Replies

• Hi Harryhound - 1st time on board - sorry if it's long winded!
    I've just had a cavity wall firm round to give me a quote - I found them through the energy saving trust website, (not being on any benefits). I was told by EDF that the max I would have to pay (3 bed, end of terrace house) would be £255 (govt grant available for the rest). They told me who my local company were and arranged for them to come out & quote. The actual quote was for £490 full price, we have to pay £269 (not £255 as promised initially). The £269 customer cost seemed to be the same across the higher and lower values of other houses.
    We are going to go ahead with the insulation as it seems silly not to, especially as the govt is paying £200+ for us!!!!!!! Unless the firms in on it have inflated the price? It would be worth knowing the cost of CWI before grants were available...??????!!!!!
  • Could we please have a simple item on building a solar panel.One of the outdoor centres in Fife did one several years ago, but to my knowledge has not been repeated.I was first reserve for the course, so missed it.There must be a simple way of building these?
    Corrieicon14.gif
  • We thought of a collecting tank on the wall outside a couple of feet off the ground to give the water a 'fall' to fill the loo cistern. This way we wouldn't need a pump hopefully, but if we did, we reckon a tiny pond pump would do it, one controlled by water pressure loss or something similar to trigger it as the loo was flushed.

Remember that bodies of water outside in winter will probably freeze..... Id lag it quite well to try and prevent that and make sure the feed is at the bottom of the container.

SOme good ideas here I hadn't thought of myself. cheers ;)

Id also agree with the poster questioning the £30 saving re:standy. £10 a month for leaving your appliances on standby is aboslutely ludicrous. You must have around 300 tvs for this to be true! Heck in our 2bed flat we left all the AV kit on standby and our whole electric bill was only £10 per mth!!
  • panlanepanlane Forumite
    41 posts
    A few quick points, those that advocate turning off their heating at night and during days away, etc. should be aware that during the colder months in an unheated house the temperature can drop below the dew point. Reheating the house from this takes a lot of energy to get that water off the walls and into the air. It can be cheaper to keep the heating on at a low level than turning it off and on. My recommendation is that you install a thermostat in addition to a timer.

I am, however, a believer in the jumper/hot water bottle school of thought.

I am skeptical about some of the cost-savings mentioned on this thread. The standby saving of £30 a quarter must be exaggerated. The £20 annual water bill seems impossible when one considers the costs for drainage and waste that are (at least with Yorkshire water) unalterable unless you have your own ditch system. The cost-saving of solar panels remains highly debatable.

I assume people are aware that those concerned with saving water can reduce the volume of a toilet flush by partially filling the cistern with something else. Commonly, a brick or a plastic bottle filled with water. Additionally, it isn't too complex to replace your toilet handle with a variable flushing mechanism (you know the fancy ones that flush a lot or flush a little depending on which button you press).

One quite dramatic avenue that people may be unaware of is MicroCHP (Combined heat and power). If you have a gas supply, you burn the gas to produce your electricity, taking advantage of the inefficiency (i.e. the heat loss) to warm your home. Excess electricity can be sold back to the grid. If you are approaching a time when you need to change a boiler, might be worth a look. It has the potential to both a cost-saving and low-carbon technology.

P.S. Reading previous posts, does anyone pay for their insulation themselves these days? Or has the whole market quietly become a monopsony? Major step back if so.
  • got to energy savings trust website www.est.org.uk - it has a grant finder which will identify companies providing subsidised insulation. I had cavity wall insulation from Scottish Power (even though I wasn't a customer) and the contractor did a free survey and inspection before confirming the cost (about £120).
  • TFNTFN Forumite
    6 posts
    co_co wrote: »
    Could we please have a simple item on building a solar panel.One of the outdoor centres in Fife did one several years ago, but to my knowledge has not been repeated.I was first reserve for the course, so missed it.There must be a simple way of building these?
    Corrieicon14.gif

Hi Corrie,

There are a few courses out there if you are interested in doing it yourself.
    CAT run a course "Domestic Solar Water Heating Systems".
    Also LILI run a course "Self build solar hot water". In the LILI course you can build and take home your own solar hot water system.

http://www.cat.org.uk/courses/program.tmpl?prog=sw&hfee=320&lfee=230&nfee=175&fn=&ctype=T_C
    http://www.lowimpact.org/courseoutlineselfbuildsolar.htm

Despite the aggressive views of some, solar thermal systems are a good way of saving money long term and I have plenty of customers that would agree.

Good luck!
  • has anyone heard of a plug you use with your fridge/frezzer that reduces the amount of electricty it needs (i think it reduces the amount of elecy at night time)
    O
  • As panlane says turning off the heating can be detrimental, we used to have an appartment where the tight landlord turned the heating on in the middle of winter for 4 hours only after 6pm, consequently the windows were covered in condensation, everything in the place got attacked by mould and milldew and one day i could not get out of the front door because the sausage dog draft excluder had become soaked with condensation and then froze solid to the floor and door.........:eek: . so yes its a false economy.
    Make home made thick veg soups, it uses only 1 pan/ ring, you get your 5 a day, and home grown veg is really green. plus it warms you from within.
    Wear more woolen clothing, warm and cosy and renewable.
  • One way to cope with the condensation (from keeping the heat low or off) and the wet clothes (from refusing to use tumble dryer any more!) is to buy a dehumidifier or perhaps see if you can get a freecycle one. Put clothes on an airer in a room with the dehumidifier switched on and the door closed, and by morning it will have sucked the air out, and I believe they cost about 2p an hour to run. I sometimes run mine in the bedroom in midwinter, as it also puts out a small amount of heat - that way we win three times over!
    :jThat's 2 stone 9 lbs gone forever:j

thank you Slimming World!
  • hi, mine's only a little tip. but hey ho! its all money saving! when you cook rice, once the pan has come to the boil, switch completely off and leave with lid on, the heat inside the pan cooks the ruice perfectly in about 15 mins, i do this every week, and its so perfect (use the absorbtion method) which works out double the amount of rice for water, so if you're cooking half a cup of rice, add 1 cup of water etc, i also do the same for sweetcorn, broccolli, peas, carrots and pasta etc, (pasta needs just a touch longer):D
    totally a tog!:D