Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
142 replies 34.9K views

Replies

• Probably works in the winter too, especially after dark behind the drawn curtains ?

However, were I a safety officer/building inspector, I would be getting "twitchy" about the "surface spread of flame regulations"; so make sure there is no possible potential source of fire.

[Reminds me of proudly coming back from a fete as a kid and putting the goldfish bowl I won on the windowsill; dad got it in the neck for making cigarette burns in the curtains:D].
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quote........What I'd really like to do is find some workable low-tech way of using rainwater to at least flush loo & if possible use for washing machine too, but that may be too ambitious..unquote

A bucket Annie. Filter the rainwater first thru a muslin or large kitchen strainer. A fat splash preventer has a finer mesh.Keep these items for the purpose. If you start using pipes and gravity tanks, you're into more and more cleaning. My water bill is £20 a year. Not evryones cuppa.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    harryhound wrote: »
    "Hound Hovel" started life in 1928 as a shack. Like topsy it has grown since then and now is a 150 sq meter bungalow.

Some of its walls are solid 9" "Durox" (225mm foam concrete looks like aero chocolate) - I know I built them.

The hovel has a pod built on the back in the 1970's, when grants were given to people without kitchens and bathrooms; this sticks out 11' and is 17' across (3.350 x 5.220). This is a brick-2"cavity-block standard wall, that would have been built under the supervision of the local authority.

The rest of the building was (re)-built by an early retired man, who died in the effort. He appears to have made it up as he went along. I have discovered some walls built of 4" clinker "breeze" block laid on its side:rolleyes: and clinker-cavity-clinker, but with a narrow cavity, more like 1" than 2" (and sometimes appearing to have been built without the use of a level or plumb line:rolleyes:)

The whole structure is pebble-dashed to hide the sins of its builders.

So I am not the ideal candidate for a semi trained, self employed, commission only, salesman; pretending to be an "energy" consultant.

As well as my misgivings about how to get an experienced person to give me a quote; I am totally confused by the complex structure of "subsidies" in this market.

Though in my 60's, I don't think I qualify for the up front cash subsidies available to those on benefit or at risk of "fuel poverty". However there are generalised "subsidies" in the form of obligations put on power suppliers (I have no mains gas) and in the form of VAT rebates.

The whole situation seems a bit like the mobile 'phone market, where the only thing one can say is what ever deal you get; it will turn out to be not the best deal you could have got.

But the difference, when filling your cavity, is that you are stuck with your wrong decision.

Does anyone have recent experience or up to date knowledge of the market or local knowledge of good firms in the Essex market? Can you point me, and the rest of us, in the right direction?

Harry.

PS I also need to upgrade the insulation in the loft from 4" - 6" to 11"; and it is a big loft. This is a job I can do myself BUT here again there are subsidies floating about, so there is not much point in doing it myself if some other operative is subsidised to do it for me?

Just had a card from the council, e.g. loft insulation £100 max DIY £75 and TRV £10 each DIY. So see your council.
  • I am having a conservator fitted soon, and would Ideally like to run it through Solar power (if possible), tried looking at a few sites, but all seems very confusing.

Looking for a straight forward site that does everything, IE panels batteries connection, with a all in simple price.

my tips are...
    1. Energy light bulbs are great, converted most of my house,
    2. Only boil as much water as you need.
    3. Full loads in the washing machine
    4. turn off TV and computers when not in use.
    5. turn off lights when you leave the room.
    Saved a fortune in last 18mths, mill elec bill came down!!!
  • JenniOJenniO Forumite
    547 posts
    Ken68 - Can you expand on how you achieve a £20 a year water bill? Very interested!
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TFN wrote: »
    I am biased as I fit them for a living, but in my opinion the best long term way of saving money and going green is to fit a solar (water heating) panel. It will save on fuel costs and CO2 emmisions.

Not only are you biased but you are talking absolute rubbish.

This is a money saving site and this thread is specifically about saving money by going green.

Give us any figures to show they are money saving, but remember there are people on this site who understand the subject.
  • Not sure if it has been posted already: I have an old style boiler and before many hot pipes ran allong walls and in the airing cupborad. a susbtantial ammount of heat was lost trough the pipes without any benefit for the house. I bought cheap pipe insulation (any DIY shop has them) and can now report that I had a decrease in the gas bills as a result of this. They are very easy to install and are relatively inexpensive. One tip though do not buy the more expensive "water board" thick insulation (it doesn't make that much of a diff in terms of savings). However do buy the ready made "Shoulders", they are brilliant for corners. All in all I must have covered about 25 metres of pipe.
    Now the heat is only released from the radiators, where I want, and not just anywhere. It is green becuse it saves gas, helps to keep the house warmer and doesn't cost the earth
    From Arakis with Love ;)
  • PoppycatPoppycat Forumite
    19.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently replaced my gu10's, spots and candle bulbs to energy saving bulbs (not the normal £1 ones you can get in supermarket), whilst this may costs me about £60-£70 it will pay in the long run. As I monitor and record my energy bills every month on 25th, I already yesterday noticed by electricity bill falling even though we haven't changed our habits and will use more light as the days getting shorter

I still have 3 candles bulbs to change to change yet but had to order them and wholesaler only carries a small stock of the megaman bulbs

I also have loft well insulated and plan on using CT much less, have a modern thermostat, some of the rads have insulation behind them (home made, bubble wrap, foil and card board). Also now have a Log burner at great expense and use free wood when I can.

• May seem obvious, but I try and save money and be green by not buying stuff unless I really really need it... I've stopped going into shops, looking in magazines/catalogues, watching tv ads... if I'm not aware of the products I supposedly need, or if I don't go into shops and spot apparent bargains in the sale, then I don't buy them.
    When I do 'need' something, I try and get it second-hand (eg charity shops) which is cheaper and greener, and is sometimes free (freecycle). Also I let all the people I meet know that I'm into recycling and it's amazing the number of people amongst my community/family/friends who pass on things they don't want. They're happy to find "a good home" for their bits, and I'm happy to welcome, re-use/recycle free stuff!!

I enjoy the "live simply" ethos - mend rather than replace; walk rather than drive; Make birthday cards, presents etc from bits and bobs rather than buy things. etc etc.

Kristie
  • I think Freecycle is just great, though it's not so easy to get in first if you opt for the digest version rather than have the emails come in one.

Re tumble dryers, it's worth knowing that if you have a washing machine that's also a tumble dryer, it will not only use more energy but wear out much faster (this was told me by an engineer who came to repair my previous machine which was always breaking down). I haven't had a tumble dryer for years now and nothing ever goes wrong with the current washing machine - fingers crossed. On the other hand, I don't have to wash and dry for kids, and probably do a bit more ironing than some people (wonder how that works out energy wise - tumble drying versus ironing?) so I realise it wouldn't work for everybody.

This works for everybody, though: if you want to reduce your cost of living and also the cost to the environment, don't ever read women's magazines, lifestyle magazines, or lifestyle supplements in the papers. These things are designed to make you feel inferior, hard-done-by and full of insane lust for something you didn't know existed five minutes before. They are POISON!
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe