14 years I feel Ive wasted,not sure how to cope

Options

Comments

• my-user-name
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I wonder if this is similar to the old Royal Mail scheme (who were originally part of the Civil service until - I think - October 1969 as the GPO) so maybe reasonable to think there are/were similarities).

The old RM scheme was an 'eightieth' scheme with 1/80th for each year of service and a lump sum of 3/80ths.

Years on they introduced a new scheme which was a 'sixtieth' one with 1/60th for every year of service but no lump sum.

It does sound like that :( oh !!!!!! :(
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Omg. Ive been reading your thread, and all I can say is, ehat a cold hearted, mercenary freak! You are well rid of him.Onwards n upwards hun :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Surely there's a way to find out exactly what you will get. Are you paying into a pension in the job you are currently in?
  • my-user-name
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Surely there's a way to find out exactly what you will get. Are you paying into a pension in the job you are currently in?

No annadale I'm not paying into a pension with the job I'm in right now,Im working for a agency and even though Ive been here for almost 2 years I'm still classed as temporary and they renew my contract every three months.
    You would think Id get all the right information from the civil service hot line,its just not the case.Half of them just fob you off and the other half haven't a clue.Its not only me who says this,many others have said the same.
  • my-user-name
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Omg. Ive been reading your thread, and all I can say is, ehat a cold hearted, mercenary freak! You are well rid of him.Onwards n upwards hun :D

And I was with the cold hearted mercenary for such a long time,you,d think Id have sussed him out during that time,nope not a bloody clue.
    But by God I will next time if I allow a man in my life.
    As for now I'm happy being single,very happy x
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And I was with the cold hearted mercenary for such a long time,you,d think Id have sussed him out during that time,nope not a bloody clue.
    But by God I will next time if I allow a man in my life.
    As for now I'm happy being single,very happy x

I'm also happily single, after a terribly abusive, last relationship.I love it 💚 xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • annandale
    Options
    Could you not pay into a private pension? Or take out a savings plan? Like a bond, where you pay 25 quid a month and get a lump sum at the end. I took one out at my mums suggestion and I got 6 grand back at the end of ten years. Bonuses were better back than than now but there's always something you can do.

I was self employed for years so I paid into private pensions. Easy enough to set one up and it would give what you are going to get a boost
  • annandale
    Options
    BTW how did he know what you were going to get or not. Sorry if I missed that. Did you tell him or did he find out
  • my-user-name
    Options
    BTW how did he know what you were going to get or not. Sorry if I missed that. Did you tell him or did he find out
    I think it was when he had to scrape me off the ceiling after the phone calls that he realised it wasn't good news annadale.
    Yeah I told him,I just thought he would say "oh well,dont worry" and at the time I actually think he did say that to me............he hadn't thought it through,only when he sat down and thought about it himself must he have realised what it actually meant :(
  • my-user-name
    Options
    Could you not pay into a private pension? Or take out a savings plan? Like a bond, where you pay 25 quid a month and get a lump sum at the end. I took one out at my mums suggestion and I got 6 grand back at the end of ten years. Bonuses were better back than than now but there's always something you can do.

I was self employed for years so I paid into private pensions. Easy enough to set one up and it would give what you are going to get a boost

Its a good thought but I'm trying to cut my outgoings down and £25 a month would bump it back up again.
    The good thing is once I get to 65 or 66 not sure which I,ll be able to claim my old age pension so that will be a income for me.(I'm 59 now)
    Good Lord I'm talking about my oap pension,it was only last weekend that I help lug a 3 seater settee and a 2 seater settee up two flights of stairs!!,I don't want to be seen as old :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure