Electric cars

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    On walking into a merc/bmw/Audi dealership; I assume it's like everyone else and you're not buying from stock you're going to be waiting 6+ months?
    US dealers primarily sell from extensive stocks. It's far less common to have a centrally-stocked car there, let alone a factory order.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    US dealers primarily sell from extensive stocks. It's far less common to have a centrally-stocked car there, let alone a factory order.

With demand falling that fast, they'll have even greater stocks soon.

I bet their glad they don't have too much demand like Tesla.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,798 Forumite
    Options
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    Think Octopus are being a bit tight, only 4 hours at the cheapest 5p Kwh tarriff... Might just get a full charge in a 24Kw Leaf in that time, 40 Kwh batteries no chance need 7 on average..

I think it would fulfill many people's requirements. Even an older model slow charging Leaf would shove in 50 or so miles worth of electricity if the battery was that discharged and for others the 4 hours would be a top up.

It occurs to me that those of us with solar panels who are retired or work from home might find it useful for topping up what our panels don't provide.

The important thing is that it illustrates a changing commercial situation which is recognising a significant new market.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,798 Forumite
    Options
    Walk into a US Merc/BMW/Audi dealer tomorrow morning, you'll drive out in your new car that day.

Place a deposit on a Model 3 tomorrow, when will it be delivered?

Hang on. I'm pretty sure that in the recent past you were arguing there wasn't any demand for EV vehicles. The fact that Nissan, Hyundai, Kia (let alone Tesla!) have issues meeting demand suggests matters are changing rapidly.

As for your talk about greenwash, I think you'll find that the guarantees that such electricity retailers give to the renewables producers enables the latter to undertake the required capital investment.

Finally, what has the existence of US car dealers having large stocks got to do with electric cars in this country?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    On walking into a merc/bmw/Audi dealership; I assume it's like everyone else and you're not buying from stock you're going to be waiting 6+ months?
    Hi

Last time we were in the US I was not only surprised by the reduction in the number of dealerships, but also the shift away from car-lots stuffed with new vehicles ready for prep & drive-away to row after row of nearly-new low mileage 'bargains' ...

I suppose that it's all linked to manufacturers currently seeing their business models as being more of a lease finance based service provider as opposed to a manufacturer with a customer sales division along with driving the concept of 'lean operations' improving margins out to the dealership networks, after-all, in these days of lean manufacturing it is theoretically possible to reduce the lead-time from order, through build, to customer delivery to just 3 days!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Hang on. I'm pretty sure that in the recent past you were arguing there wasn't any demand for EV vehicles. The fact that Nissan, Hyundai, Kia (let alone Tesla!) have issues meeting demand suggests matters are changing rapidly.
    Or does it suggest that supply chains are still inadequate for anything approaching mainstream volumes?

Tesla have now built about 38,000 Model 3. Good for them, they're finally to a sustainable 2,500 cars/week, and even had a 3,500 car week. Except they revised their estimate up from 5,000 to 6,000 by the end of June - two weeks today - as recently as April. How many deposits went down...?

Meanwhile, BMW continue to shift 100k 3-series per year, Merc 80k C-classes, Audi 35k A4s - just in the US.

zeupater wrote: »
    after-all, in these days of lean manufacturing it is theoretically possible to reduce the lead-time from order, through build, to customer delivery to just 3 days!
    Depending, of course, on the distance between factory and dealer...

Even if the factory can build the car in two days from order, it is not getting from Europe to the US, or even from coast-to-coast within the US, in one day.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Oh, and I don't recall seeing this story linked back in April. Apologies if it was, but it's still an interesting read.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-burns-cash/
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like electric car because they are slow and it would take a lot of battery power and probably not run for that long.I would prefer to sports cars that are fun to drive & I like the speed and quick stable handling.

Reported as spam, and reported the poster. Every post of theirs that I have seen has contained a (usually) unrelated advertising link.

(They also, obviously, know sweet f.a. about electric cars :rotfl: )
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... Depending, of course, on the distance between factory and dealer...

Even if the factory can build the car in two days from order, it is not getting from Europe to the US, or even from coast-to-coast within the US, in one day.
    Hi

Fine, but no-one mentioned that every order could be satisfied within 3 days, just that it was 'theoretically possible" ... however, the potential for reducing unit costs through simply reducing stock is huge, particularly in the US where typical purchases have historically been impulsive

The point made was that I've personally noticed a reduction (/consolidation) in dealerships and a reduction in new cars on dealer forecourts ... whether this is indicative of American consumers recently becoming more open to build-to-order (thus removing stock-holding costs) is interesting because it may be more related to the lease financing models ...

Consider a consumer coming towards the end of a fixed term monthly payment lease contract with substantial overrun costs ... wouldn't they be more likely to plan & arrange a seamless vehicle change in advance rather than just an ad-hoc purchasing decision after visiting a random dealership? ....

If this is the case then surely build-to-order becomes a natural winner, allowing dealerships to maintain margins whilst reducing prices & costs?, in which case it's likely not 3 days but 3 weeks or 3 months that form acceptable lead-times thus allowing any extended distance supply chain to react & still meet the majority of orders without stock-holding ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Meanwhile, BMW continue to shift 100k 3-series per year, Merc 80k C-classes, Audi 35k A4s - just in the US.

But Tesla could outsell all of those, in fact they could outsell the BMW 2, 3 & 4 combined, and the Audi 3, 4 & 5 combined. Looks like the Model 3 will soon be taking the majority of the entire 'Small & Midsize Luxury Car' segment. We'll have to see in a few months when production ramps even higher and Tesla stops shipping the cars to Canada to avoid hitting the magic 200k US sales figure before end of Q2.

Not bad for a car you were recently claiming wasn't even being delivered.

Tesla Model 3 Could Be #10 Best Selling Car In USA This Month
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback