Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tractor unit is probably the most appropriate term in the UK.

Yep for the UK, and that's what I grew up calling them (my father ran a fleet), but most people seem to find it confusing, and 'truck' is of course very misleading as it could be a rigid, and 'wagon' ..... I'm sure we'll get there. ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    So right now - the convenience of petrol wins out.
    At least you looked into it.

I gather some London boroughs are allowing a company to install charge points in lamp posts. Shell & BP plus some independents are starting to put rapid chargers on their forecourts.

https://www.zap-map.com Will let you know where chargers are. The Shell web site will let you know where theirs are.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So right now - the convenience of petrol wins out.

Absolutely, it might do. And you've had a look locally. Maybe you could charge whilst shopping, eating out or at the cinema - are there any chargers like that near you? Much better to be able to charge whilst doing something else, than have to hang around at a rapid charger. And if it can't be done now, hopefully it will be in the future.
    Businesses just need to realise that if they spend just £8,000 on a cheapo charger, they could get that money back through trade.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    At least you looked into it.

I gather some London boroughs are allowing a company to install charge points in lamp posts.
    At which point - it would make more sense to look again.
    almillar wrote: »
    Absolutely, it might do. And you've had a look locally. Maybe you could charge whilst shopping, eating out or at the cinema - are there any chargers like that near you?
    Well - the supermarket is nearer than the nearest charger so I usually walk! There used to be a couple at the nice new eco-friendly Sainsbury in Charlton but they were often blocked by non-electrics just parking up and then Sainsbury sold it off and it was knocked down! Eating out is also usually done within walking distance. The cinema we're most likely to use is driving distance and has Tesla charging points but it's a long trip to make for the purpose of charging.

I also looked at my wife's cross-London commute and there's actually a free charging point closer to her workplace than her usual parking spot! If there was a reasonable chance of it being free on the days she needed it - then it might be an option. So what's the electric equivalent of an MX-5? - used Tesla Roadster?

So, right now it still doesn't quite work for us - but it might be different in 5 years time.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    So, right now it still doesn't quite work for us - but it might be different in 5 years time.

You could always put her name down for an E-type Zero... and start saving!
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    I was just wondering with these icy mornings how much battery is used for defrosting/heating up the car if any EV owners can comment.
    I could imagine generating heat would almost be more than generating drive. :cool:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2018 at 11:10PM
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    I was just wondering with these icy mornings how much battery is used for defrosting/heating up the car if any EV owners can comment.
    I could imagine generating heat would almost be more than generating drive. :cool:

You do all that while it's still plugged in, starting the defrost heat process from inside via timer or a phone app. No scraping needed no motor running. So you set off with 100% battery.

Cold weather does affect the range though, not really due to using heater but due to the battery chemistry. You can lose 20% in winter compared to summer. At the moment my car is showing around 100 miles ona full charge. In summer it will be 120.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    That’s interesting, cheers.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Cold weather does affect the range though, not really due to using heater but due to the battery chemistry. You can lose 20% in winter compared to summer. At the moment my car is showing around 100 miles ona full charge. In summer it will be 120.

I've watched some vids from Canada and northern USA where they were getting nearly 50% less range ...... but at temps of about -20C. Brrrrr :snow_grin

I think I'd stay in!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    A breakdown of some Tesla Semi claims.

Does Tesla Semi Break the Laws of Physics?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback