Stop all nuisance calls simply and easily with BT's new free Call Protect service

in Phones & TV
59 replies 20.1K views

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having raised doubts about the effectiveness of the system, I have not has a single nuisance call for 5 weeks since installing - other than my son bragging about Liverpool beating Spurs!

Coincidence? or?
  • Sorry BT but this doesn't work for me. I'm still getting 4 or 5 calls a day offering to "now change your boiler for free". The problem is they use a different fake number on the caller display for each call so although I can block that one they use a different fake number the next time. Surely BT could detect if the number was genuine or not and automatically block any fake ones. I don't know if the BT8500 phone that has been mentioned elsewhere would be able to stop this kind of nuisance call. If I knew it did I would happily get one.
  • Doc_N wrote: »

Free, no device to purchase, and available to all BT customers.

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."

Sorry Doc N but I've not managed to do this and I'm still getting 4 or 5 nuisance calls a day because they use a different fake number each time. If you know a way of stopping this I would love to know.
  • Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the BT8500/8600 will block these calls, as the caller will be challenged to give their details. Usually they don't bother and just hang up.

If they do decide to give their details you can chose to take or reject the call.

From my personal experience, over the past 18 months, they all just hang up.

Only calls from numbers that you have stored come through straight away.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Yes, the BT8500/8600 will block these calls, as the caller will be challenged to give their details. Usually they don't bother and just hang up.

If they do decide to give their details you can chose to take or reject the call.

From my personal experience, over the past 18 months, they all just hang up.

Only calls from numbers that you have stored come through straight away.

What happens when someone like your Doctor, Hospital or genuine caller is using a withheld number? What details are they required to give?
  • edited 23 February 2017 at 9:10PM
    Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017 at 9:10PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    What happens when someone like your Doctor, Hospital or genuine caller is using a withheld number? What details are they required to give?
    They need to state their name or purpose of the call. Once they have done that, you will hear what they said and will have the opportunity to either accept or reject the call.

For callers who call on a regular basis, or who you know in advance will be calling, you can instead give them a PIN code to bypass the voice challenge and get straight through.
  • hgmhgm Forumite
    62 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    I've now found that Call Protect is blocking calls from HMRC to send access codes to enable you to logon to HMRC website. Had to have all details reset and change to a mobile.
    Of course you don't actually know it's been blocked. You just sit by the phone waiting for a code that never comes. (HMRC seem to know about the problem but don't tell you.)
  • arjararjar Forumite
    59 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Doc_N wrote: »
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

Free, no device to purchase, and available to all BT customers.

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."
    Just tried to activate it but told not possible with FTTP connection. Anyone else had this problem?
  • ConnieConnie Forumite
    84 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Not all BT customers can get BT Call Protect.

It depends if your local exchange has been enabled tor not. Mine hasn't, as it turns out.

BT took my order for Call Protect - though surely they should have been able to tell from my number or postcode which exchange was relevant, and they should have a list of exchages which can't do Call Protect.

I waited a month for the order to be fulfilled. Received email today to say the order was completed. Great excitement!
    However, quickly followed by phonecall to tell me it wasn't possible to give me Call Protect because of the exchange.

BT should make it clear that not everyone can get it - but there's no suggestion of that on their website. Just promises which they clearly can't fulfil.
  • edited 7 March 2018 at 7:31PM
    Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2018 at 7:31PM
    You haven't missed much. The BT Call Protect system seems to be inherently ineffective as the blocking is based on CLI - which can be faked.

On the other hand, the Sky Shield (Sky) and Talk Safe (TalkTalk) systems (also built into the phone network) appear to be based on the highly effective trueCall system which is also available as a plug-in box or built-in to the BT 8500 and BT 8600 "Call Guardian" handsets.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides