Stop all nuisance calls simply and easily with BT's new free Call Protect service

Options
Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

Free, no device to purchase, and available to all BT customers.

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."

Comments

• Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sounds great, does anyone know if virgin have anything like this?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And it's FREE!

Just ordered it.

It seems that my BT Privacy at Home, i.e. TPS registration, has lapsed, so re-registered as well.

Both are FREE. Just have to be careful to tick the right one.

The BT Blacklist needs to be updated dynamically.

The nuisance caller will simply switch number when they find they are blocked/diverted. The old blocked number could be re-allocated to a legitimate person/company, who finds he gets diverted to junk call all the time.

We shall see.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At last a reason to goto BT
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find that my BT8500 does the job just as well.

Not one nuisance call has got through since I installed it about 18 months ago. And it works with any provider that has Caller ID.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I am thinking of activating BT Protect using my phone rather than my computer, so that I can then tell my Auntie & she can do it on her phone (& that it works I hope).

There was a BT chap on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning talking about the new BT Protect service. I managed to jot down the phone number: 0800 328 1572.

(I would like to have added a link here to the clip on the BBC website, but was unable to find one: if anyone else manages to find it, that would be really good. The interview lasted only a few minutes & was broadcast at about 8.50 this morning - Mon 16th Jan 2017).

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They did a segment on You and Yours as well, 12:15.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Clowance wrote: »
    does anyone know if virgin have anything like this?
    If it's a success (and actually works), I would imagine other providers will soon offer similar services...
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BT will now divert incoming calls from whoever they deem to be a nuisance to a junk voicemail box. This includes calls that are deemed by regulators to be "legal" as well as calls which are clearly criminal in nature.

There are serious implications should outgoing calls from hospitals or GP practices be mistakenly identified as nuisance calls and dumped to a blackhole "junk" voicemailbox. There appears to be no transparency as to who or what is being blocked.

BT already has the trueCall technology at its disposal. This is built into the BT 8500 and 8600 series Call Guardian handsets. Known callers are let through. Unknown callers must pass a verbal challenge before the telephone rings. Nuisance callers, criminals, automated and silent calls hang up without the phone ringing. Once the telephone rings the called party has the option to accept or reject the call before it is connected.

This technology is available to deploy on the telephone network itself - both landlines and mobiles. It offers a far more satisfactory and transparent method of control. Questions must be asked as to why BT is not deploying this superior technology on its network.

A recent survey of BT call data found that more than 40% of nuisance calls are from claims management companies.

Unlike emails and text messages, contact by a knock on the door or by telephone demands your immediate attention and both can be a nuisance. The Claims Management Regulator does not permit claims management firms or their agents to pound the streets and bang on doors looking for business but does allow those firms to make unsolicited marketing calls.

It is time for the Claims Management Regulator and the regulators who oversee various other problem sectors to ban the use of the telephone for marketing purposes unless the contact has been expressly invited.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »

......There are serious implications should outgoing calls from hospitals or GP practices be mistakenly identified as nuisance calls and dumped to a blackhole "junk" voicemailbox. There appears to be no transparency as to who or what is being blocked.......
    Well......they say no number gets blocked before their staff have manually checked it - sounds pretty transparent - they won't block your doctor before checking his number out!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 6:57PM
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    It seems that my BT Privacy at Home, i.e. TPS registration, has lapsed, so re-registered as well

You can register direct with tps, and that is free, and doesn't lapse for private numbers, and you don't have to be a bt customer. Problem is it isn't much use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure