Stop all nuisance calls simply and easily with BT's new free Call Protect service

in Phones & TV
59 replies 20.1K views

Replies

• Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TPS eliminates calls from genuine marketing companies.

It does nothing to stop scammers and criminals, and was never designed to do so.
  • edited 17 January 2017 at 3:48PM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 January 2017 at 3:48PM
    I have the service downloaded and proudly! blacklisted my first number. - Immediately after the call you dial 1572 and are asked if you want the last call blacklisted(press 1) it then reads out the number for confirmation.

I have had a spate of calls showing as UK numbers with different area codes 0223, 0211, 0123. Each time an 'Indian' sounding voice asks me to 'give them 1 minute.'

What is unclear, to me at least, is what happens if I get calls showing 'international call' or 'number withheld' There is a facility on-line in manage account to bar all ''international calls' and 'number withheld' calls. However I clearly don't want to ban all those calls as I have friends abroad and some people e.g. My doctor and members of the Royal family!! who call my number. If I blacklist a scam call showing 'international call' or 'number withheld' by dialling 1572 and pressing '1' will that blacklist all 'international' and 'number withheld' calls.

Lastly I have a lot of these scam call numbers(0223 etc)listed on my phone. Managing the system on-line should allow me to enter these numbers for blacklisting. However no matter which way I try to enter the number by adding (44) leaving off the 0, etc it keeps telling me that it is not a valid telephone number - which of course is correct.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a relative from America, who calls, and the Caller ID is usually blank, because he uses some funny arrangement, as opposed to just dialling from his landline.

Not SKYPE, which probably has its own funny side effects too.

These nuisance calls could be using some IP connection, which just reports some fake Caller ID any way.

Can't complain, since it's free.
    Well, until important calls get blocked.
    Thank God for the mobile phone, eh?
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT will probably get people hooked, then start charging.

Our Panasonic phones have caller blocker, but we have not needed to use the facility.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    teddysmum wrote: »
    BT will probably get people hooked, then start charging.

Our Panasonic phones have caller blocker, but we have not needed to use the facility.

They already charge if you want to unblock any numbers that they decided to block.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teapot55 wrote: »

(I would like to have added a link here to the clip on the BBC website, but was unable to find one: if anyone else manages to find it, that would be really good. The interview lasted only a few minutes & was broadcast at about 8.50 this morning - Mon 16th Jan 2017).

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088b853 and it's about 02:49:00 into the programme (near the end).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • starrystarrystarrystarry Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I find that my BT8500 does the job just as well.

Not one nuisance call has got through since I installed it about 18 months ago. And it works with any provider that has Caller ID.

Seems to me the BT8500 (and similar) are preferable, since you control who gets through and who doesn't. I love mine, best £40 we ever spent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088b853 and it's about 02:49:00 into the programme (near the end).
    All the information (and far more) from that interview is provided in the link which "Doc N" posted at the outset of this thread.

No need to search through nearly three hours of Radio 4! :eek:
  • They should stop using withheld or 084 numbers then.
    Signature removed club member No1.

It had no link, It was not to long and I have no idea why.
  • barakbarak Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

Free, no device to purchase, and available to all BT customers.

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."
    I, like Cardew, was hoping it might block the call I have been getting every day for the last week but it won't, because the number appearing on Caller Display is not "a valid number".

It looks as if the BT8500 is the best solution.
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES