I’m taking control of my life, now.

Options

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Options
    Well you will be pleased to hear that after my comment last night I went online to check my package, and the deal is thought was going up next month doesn't run out until July! So sports is staying a bit longer in this house.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    I barely moved either. I blame the weather.

I watched Shop Well For Less. A lovely family but I was amazed at how much they were spending. A 45 minute shower!

It was the 64 appliances switched on which shocked me. If I plugged in everything in the house I would get nowhere near 64 appliances.

Yes, yes it's all down to the weather, yes, indeed :D

They were consumers in every sense of the word. I wonder how they're getting on now
    Well you will be pleased to hear that after my comment last night I went online to check my package, and the deal is thought was going up next month doesn't run out until July! So sports is staying a bit longer in this house.

That's good then, you probably have a discount already then. I'll come and nag you in July. :)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Good things about today:j
    • I finally have new ironing board
    • It's so much easier to iron now!
    • All ironing/laundry is done
    • Cat biscuits were on offer.
    • Downstairs loo is redecorated. Even if I say it myself, it looks gorgeous

Bad things :exclamati
    • Bought the beautiful ironing board. I'm not even sorry.
    • Spent £35 on decorating supplies. £20 on bathroom paint, £12 on satin, £3 brushes. Have a few bits of paint work to touch up in addition to the downstairs loo

Other spends -£6 on washing basket, my old one was all broken and kept hanking our clothes.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    :rotfl: at the ironing board.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :j :j New ironing board. :j :j

We have to take our pleasures where we can. :rotfl:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I really liked Shop Well For Less, it made me think that all those little spends throughout the year (the kind of thing that you say "its only £20 a month, I can afford that") can add up to something significant like a holiday for 8 people that has always been in the "completely unaffordable" category.
    I think YNAB is helping me with this perspective shift too ... I've thought on a month-to-month, payday-to-payday basis for far too long, I need to start thinking longer term!
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Since you're so pleased whit your new ironing board, do you fancy doing mine?

I inherited my Gran's Brabantia ironing board when she died 8 years ago and I'm pretty sure she had it minimum 20 years ago. It makes a beautiful ornament for my cupboard! :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    :rotfl: at the ironing board.
    sashybo wrote: »
    :j :j New ironing board. :j :j

We have to take our pleasures where we can. :rotfl:
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Since you're so pleased whit your new ironing board, do you fancy doing mine?

I inherited my Gran's Brabantia ironing board when she died 8 years ago and I'm pretty sure she had it minimum 20 years ago. It makes a beautiful ornament for my cupboard! :)

TOPM, Sashybo and JoJoC, that was the worstest telling off I've ever had!

JoJoC, it us NOT for decoration. It is also for dumping laundry on that you can't be bothered to put away.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    I really liked Shop Well For Less, it made me think that all those little spends throughout the year (the kind of thing that you say "its only £20 a month, I can afford that") can add up to something significant like a holiday for 8 people that has always been in the "completely unaffordable" category.
    I think YNAB is helping me with this perspective shift too ... I've thought on a month-to-month, payday-to-payday basis for far too long, I need to start thinking longer term!

Yep, that 'it's only £20' thing has taken a while to dawn on me. I've always thought switching stuff off at the plug was a waste of time (and we don't have that much stuff blah blah blah) but I think I'll try it after watching that.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Good things:j
    • Credit card payment of £240 has gone out. This is my new simple payments set into action.
    • Got some more Good Worker points today. Twice as many as last time. Probably worth about 100 this time. So now have about £500 worth. Think how many beautiful ironing boards I could buy with that!:D
    • The above probably means I'm not doing as badly in the job as I feel I am
    • Got a works do tomorrow night that I'm really looking forward to. It's in a fabulous venue
    • Very happy with downstairs loo. Have limited myself to only going to look at it 8 times tonight.
    • pub quiz with friends last night with vouchers was fun and in budget.
    • Homemade soup for lunch. I nearly always bring my own lunch but today was ultra healthy, so I need to congratulate myself more when I manage this.

Bad things:exclamati
    • That's it for pub quiz vouchers, no more
    • Still haven't received mystery shopper money
    • Eaten probably 300 calories of chocolate at work.(have I mentioned I work for a chocolate company?) and then more at home. I need to pack this in. I feel terrible when I do, and I have been bad lately. I think what I will try to do is limit calories from treats to 200 per day and log it every day.

Spends -£40 petrol.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family