Inheritance

Options
I can't decide if I feel a bit badly done to or if I don't really have any entitlement.

My Mother is an only child (as am I) and she was the sole beneficiary of her parent's estate, which was basically a very well looked after bungalow with decent sized gardens. I was not named in the will but I have never seen it nor asked to.

My Mother is in a strong financial position and does not "need" the money. The house has been sold to a young family and was a private sale so I have no idea how much it sold for - she has never told me and I did not ask.

I have no idea how much of the money she had spent and again I habebt asked. She has spent some of the money on me - mainly on things for my house which I didn't ask for and didn't really need but it is easier just to say yes. I would say this came to £2,500 to £3,000.

There are times when I feel that due to the size of the inheritance and the fact that she has not had to split this, I should be told how much she received and that I should have been given between 10 to 25%. There are other times when I feel that it is her legal entitlement and I should stop being so selfish.

What would you do in my Mother's position and how would you feel if you were me?

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's only money and it will very likely be yours when your mother passes away.

Can't you just wait your turn?

The best things in life are free and one of those things is having your mum alive and well and in your life... that is far more important than money.

I don't think you have any right to feel hard done by at all.
    :hello:
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    It's hers to do with as she wishes. Don't live your life waiting for an inheritance that may never come. Your mother may decide to sell up and spend her life on a cruise liner until the money runs out for all you know.

The sale price of the house will be available via the land registry (or one of the house sales sites) in a few months if you're really interested.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Why on earth would you feel hard done by? Your mother has been generous and you even admit that you didn't need it.

Just be thankful that your mother is still with you
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No idea why you think you should be told what she received, or why you think you should have had a percentage. If your grandparents had wanted to bequeath you some, they would have done. For their own reasons they decided not to.
    It's your mum's money to do what she wants with. If she wants to blow the lot on wine, toyboys and the horses that's her business. Not yours.
    Get over it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • HeavyMetalFan
    Options
    Why on earth would you feel hard done by? Your mother has been generous and you even admit that you didn't need it.

Just be thankful that your mother is still with you

I said I didn't need the things she spent the money on.

I am very thankful she is still with me.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I said I didn't need the things she spent the money on.

I am very thankful she is still with me.

But she chose to buy those things for you - you should see the good in that... instead you seem to find it an irritation.
    :hello:
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lets hope she doesnt re marry someone with three kids.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    What makes you think you should have been given a percentage of her inheritance?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We do not know the full circumstances at all.

Mother may have debts to pay off, she could have other things she would like to spend her inheritance on.

But to be absolutely honest, if she doesn't need the money and you absolutely do, she could make a gift to you.

But she may have reasons for not doing so. Greed being one of them on your behalf.

Behave!
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I would never assume that I would be entitled to anything when a relative died. Even my mum. It's not an automatic entitlement, I certainly don't think it should be. I'd rather have my mum around than her money when she's gone. That was my mums view about her mum as well. It was her money to do what she wanted with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure